Bruce's HR in 11th carries Reds over CubsSep 16, 2011 - 6:06 AM
Joey Votto doubled to begin the inning and Bruce followed with a blast to right to make a loser of James Russell (1-6).
The Cubs trailed 6-4 in the top of the ninth, but pinch-hitter Alfonso Soriano knocked in Tony Campana with his 400th career double and Darwin Barney tied the game with an RBI single.
Nick Masset (3-5) tossed a scoreless top of the 11th to earn the win for the Reds, who captured the final three games of the series.
"We're satisfied we got the victory," Reds manager Dusty Baker said.
Carlos Pena and Marlon Byrd both hit a first-inning, two-run homer off of Reds starter Homer Bailey, who allowed four runs over six innings while recording a season high-tying nine strikeouts.
Cubs starter Randy Wells surrendered five runs over 4 1/3 innings. He has not lost since July 28.
"We kept playing, but we came up a little short," Cubs manager Mike Quade said.
For the Reds, Brandon Phillips went 2-for-5 with a solo homer while Chris Heisey added a solo shot and capped a three-run fifth-inning with a go-ahead RBI single.
Trailing 4-2, Bailey began the fifth with a single and Phillips doubled to place runners at second and third. Drew Stubbs brought Bailey home with a base hit before a Votto walk loaded the bases. Wells walked Yonder Alonso to push across the tying run before giving way to Jeff Samardzija. Heisey's infield single, which deflected off of Samardzija, made it a 5-4 game.
The Reds added a run an inning later when Paul Janish walked, advanced to third on Stubbs' single and scored on John Gaub's wild pitch.
Jose Arrendondo and Bill Bray combined to toss two scoreless innings of relief before handing the ball to Francisco Cordero in the top of the ninth.
The pinch-hitting Campana led off with a single before Soriano ripped a two- bagger into the left field corner. Two batters later, Barney singled to tie the game.
In the first, Aramis Ramirez singled with two down and Pena unleashed a mammoth blast to center. The ball reached the deck of Great American Ball Park's riverboat, which resides beyond and above the center field wall.
Bryan LaHair followed with a single and Byrd made it a 4-0 game with a homer to left-center.
The Cubs loaded the bases with no outs in the third, but Homer settled, lining out Byrd before putting down Tyler Colvin and Koyie Hill on strikes to escape unscathed.
Given new life, the Reds responded. Homers by Phillips and Heisey in the third and fourth, respectively, cut the Cubs' advantage in half before the go- ahead fifth.
Bruce hit his third career walkoff home run...Soriano became the 167th player to reach 400 career doubles...Cordero suffered his sixth blown save of the season. He had converted 16 straight saves...Wells is 5-0 in nine starts since the beginning of August.
- CHICAGO: 6
Sep 15 11:15 PM
- Jay Bruce none-out, two-run Home Run (31) to right scored Joey Votto to end the game.
Cubs 6, Reds 8 Bot 11, 0 OutsSep 15 11:12 PM
- Darwin Barney singled in Alfonso Soriano with one out. Runner on first and Aramis Ramirez due up.
Cubs 6, Reds 6 Top 9, 1 OutSep 15 10:26 PM
- Pinch-Hitter Alfonso Soriano doubled in Tony Campana with none out.. Runner on second and Starlin Castro due up.
Cubs 5, Reds 6 Top 9, 0 OutsSep 15 10:22 PM
- Wild pitch scores Paul Janish with two out. Drew Stubbs advances to second. Runner on second with Joey Votto at the plate.
Cubs 4, Reds 6 Bot 6, 2 OutsSep 15 9:28 PM
- Chris Heisey singled in Drew Stubbs with one out. On the play, Yonder Alonso advances to second and Joey Votto advances to third. Bases loaded and Todd Frazier due up.
Cubs 4, Reds 5 Bot 5, 1 OutSep 15 9:02 PM
- Yonder Alonso walked scoring Brandon Phillips with one out. Bases loaded and Chris Heisey due up.
Cubs 4, Reds 4 Bot 5, 1 OutSep 15 8:59 PM
- Drew Stubbs singled in Homer Bailey with one out. On the play, Brandon Phillips advances to third. Runners on first and third with Joey Votto due up.
Cubs 4, Reds 3 Bot 5, 1 OutSep 15 8:49 PM
- Chris Heisey one-out, solo Home Run (17) to left. Todd Frazier due up.
Cubs 4, Reds 2 Bot 4, 1 OutSep 15 8:23 PM
- Brandon Phillips one-out, solo Home Run (16) to center. Drew Stubbs due up.
Cubs 4, Reds 1 Bot 3, 1 OutSep 15 8:09 PM
- Marlon Byrd two-out, two-run Home Run (8) to center scored Bryan LaHair. Tyler Colvin due up.
Cubs 4, Reds 0 Top 1, 2 OutsSep 15 7:20 PM
- Carlos Pena two-out, two-run Home Run (28) to center scored Aramis Ramirez. Bryan LaHair due up.
Cubs 2, Reds 0 Top 1, 2 OutsSep 15 7:17 PM
- CHICAGO: 0
Top 1, 0 Outs
Sep 15 7:11 PM
- Cubs-Cardinals Preview May 23
- LEADING OFF: Kershaw tests streak vs Reds, Colon faces Nats May 23
- Bumgarner throws gem, gets RBI in Giants' 1-0 win over Cubs May 23
- Reds-Dodgers Preview May 23
- Cubs slowed again by Bumgarner, Giants in 1-0 loss May 23
- Baseball Capsules May 22
- Martin, Cano help Mariners sweep, hand Reds 7th loss in row May 22
- Reds promote 3 pitchers from Triple-A Louisville May 22
- Cubs-Giants Preview May 22
- Cain, Posey lead Giants over Cubs 5-3 May 22
- Lester goes just 2 2/3 innings in Cubs' 5-3 loss to Giants May 21
- Mariners-Reds Preview May 21