Soriano powers Cubs past PadresSep 28, 2011 - 7:27 AM
The hit made a winner of Matt Garza (10-10), who tossed seven innings, allowing two runs on five hits and two walks while striking out eight in his fourth straight winning decision.
"I'm going to try and improve. That's all I can do. I've got another year under my belt and a couple more lessons learned," Garza said about his season.
Chad Qualls (6-8) surrendered Soriano's homer to take the loss. Anthony Bass made his third start of his career and allowed one run on five hits and two walks through five full frames.
"I like the way he mixed his pitches today," Padres manager Bud Black said about Bass. "We're seeing a guy who looks as though he feels he belongs."
Kyle Blanks knocked in both of the Padres' runs as they were defeated for the third time in five games.
Blanks' two-run double in the second gave the Padres an early lead. They then put runners on second and third with two outs in the frame, but Will Venable struck out swinging to end the inning.
The Cubs closed the gap in the fourth when Aramis Ramirez led off the frame with a homer.
After stranding a runner on third in the fifth and seventh innings, Soriano's three-run blast in the eighth gave the Cubs a 4-2 lead.
San Diego left the tying runs on second and third in the eighth before Blake DeWitt's pinch-hit, two-run single in the ninth put the game away for Chicago.
Ramirez was in the lineup after missing the previous four games with a strained right quad...Cubs shortstop Starlin Castro went 2-for-5 to extend his hit streak to 10 games and has now reached base safely in a career-high 39 straight games...Garza is 6-2 over his past 11 starts and has not allowed more than three earned runs in any game of that span.
- CHICAGO: 6
SAN DIEGO: 2
Sep 28 1:36 AM
- Marlon Byrd struck out swinging. Runners on first and second with two outs and Koyie Hill due up.
Cubs 6, Padres 2 Top 9, 2 OutsSep 28 1:19 AM
- Marlon Byrd grounded out short to first. None on with two outs and Koyie Hill due up.
Cubs 4, Padres 2 Top 8, 2 OutsSep 28 12:40 AM
- Aramis Ramirez lead-off Home Run (26) to center. Carlos Pena due up.
Cubs 1, Padres 2 Top 4, 0 OutsSep 27 11:06 PM
- Kyle Blanks double to center scored Chase Headley and Orlando Hudson with one out. Runner on second and Luis Martinez due up.
Cubs 0, Padres 2 Bot 2, 1 OutSep 27 10:45 PM
- CHICAGO: 0
SAN DIEGO: 0
Top 1, 0 Outs
Sep 27 10:07 PM
- Cubs-Cardinals Preview May 23
- Padres-Giants Preview May 23
- Bumgarner throws gem, gets RBI in Giants' 1-0 win over Cubs May 23
- Cubs slowed again by Bumgarner, Giants in 1-0 loss May 23
- Rookie Perdomo tough-luck loser in 9-5 defeat to Dodgers May 22
- Puig's 2-run single in 17th leads Dodgers over Padres, 9-5 May 22
- Padres under fire for mishandling gay chorus' anthem May 22
- Plate umpire Rackley leaves after getting hit by foul bunt May 22
- Solarte draws bases-loaded BB in 11th, Padres walk off again May 22
- Dodgers lose 3-2 in 11th after Tsao issues walk-off walk May 22
- Dodgers-Padres Preview May 22
- Cubs-Giants Preview May 22