Scherzer continues torrid start as Tigers double up JaysMay 10, 2011 - 6:03 AM
Jackson, who had go-ahead two-run homer in Sunday's win, brought in three runs in the fourth to put the Tigers ahead for good. Victor Martinez knocked in three RBI for Detroit, which won the last three contests of the four-game series in Toronto and are winners of six of the last seven games overall.
Meanwhile, Scherzer joined Jered Weaver of the Angels and Oakland's Trevor Cahill as the first pitchers to reach six wins in the majors. Scherzer (6-0) wasn't sharp but got the job done, allowing two runs on five hits with five strikeouts through five innings.
Jose Bautista went 2-for-4 with an RBI for the Blue Jays, who have lost seven of their last nine games. Brandon Morrow (1-2) was touched for five runs on three hits and three walks in just 3 1/3 innings to get the loss.
"We thought this was going to be a great pitching matchup, and Max wasn't sharp, Morrow wasn't sharp and it didn't turn out to be a pitching matchup at all," Tigers manager Jim Leyland said.
Morrow got in some trouble in the fourth inning. Brennan Boesch started the inning by advancing to first on a wild pitch and Miguel Cabrera walked. Martinez scorched the ball that hit the base of the center field wall for an RBI double to put the Tigers on the board. Don Kelly kept it going with a run- scoring single to tie the game. Alex Avila walked to load the bases and chase the Jays' starting pitcher off the mound.
Shawn Camp came in from the bullpen, and after getting Ryan Raburn to strike out, he served up a bases-clearing double to Jackson, handing Detroit a 5-2 lead. Ramon Santiago finished the rally by slicing a double down the third base line to bring home Jackson.
"That was basically the ballgame right there. [I was] upset with myself and the whole situation," Morrow said.
The Tigers blew open the game with a four-run seventh inning, which included a two-run homer by Martinez. The Blue Jays, though, made a minor threat during their last at-bat, scoring three runs off reliever Ryan Perry.
However, closer Jose Valverde had to come in a get the last out of the game.
During the bottom of the first inning, Bautista ripped a shot into the right- center gap to bring home Corey Patterson for the game's first run.
Yunel Escobar then lifted the ball over the left field fence to lead off the third inning, which give the Jays a 2-0 lead.
Kelly left the game with a right ankle contusion after getting hit with a pitch in the seventh inning. He is listed as day-to-day...Bautista has now reached base safely in 26 of his 27 games this season...The Blue Jays and Tigers split eight matchups a season ago.
- DETROIT: 10
May 9 10:37 PM
- Edwin Encarnacion singled to center scored Corey Patterson. Runner on first with two outs and Aaron Hill due up.
Tigers 10, Blue Jays 5 Bot 9, 2 OutsMay 9 10:29 PM
- Corey Patterson doubled to center scored David Cooper and Jose Molina. On the play, Yunel Escobar was thrown out at home, center to second to catcher. Runner on second with one out and Jose Bautista due up.
Tigers 10, Blue Jays 4 Bot 9, 1 OutMay 9 10:28 PM
- Austin Jackson reached first on Edwin Encarnacion's throwing error scored Jhonny Peralta. On the play, Ryan Raburn advances to second and Alex Avila advances to third. Bases loaded with one out and Ramon Santiago due up.
Tigers 10, Blue Jays 2 Top 7, 1 OutMay 9 9:38 PM
- Ryan Raburn singled to left scored Brandon Inge. On the play, Alex Avila advances to second and Jhonny Peralta advances to third. Bases loaded with one out and Austin Jackson due up.
Tigers 9, Blue Jays 2 Top 7, 1 OutMay 9 9:35 PM
- Victor Martinez one-out, two-run Home Run (3) to right scored Brennan Boesch. Don Kelly due up.
Tigers 8, Blue Jays 2 Top 7, 1 OutMay 9 9:28 PM
- Ramon Santiago doubled to left scored Austin Jackson. Runner on second with two outs and Brennan Boesch due up.
Tigers 6, Blue Jays 2 Top 4, 2 OutsMay 9 8:34 PM
- Austin Jackson doubled to center scored Victor Martinez, Don Kelly and Alex Avila. Runner on second with two outs and Ramon Santiago due up.
Tigers 5, Blue Jays 2 Top 4, 2 OutsMay 9 8:31 PM
- Don Kelly singled to center scored Miguel Cabrera. On the play, Victor Martinez advances to third. Runners on first and third with none out and Jhonny Peralta due up.
Tigers 2, Blue Jays 2 Top 4, 0 OutsMay 9 8:19 PM
- Victor Martinez doubled to center scored Brennan Boesch. On the play, Miguel Cabrera advances to third. Runners on second and third with none out and Don Kelly due up.
Tigers 1, Blue Jays 2 Top 4, 0 OutsMay 9 8:16 PM
- Yunel Escobar lead-off Home Run (3) to left. Corey Patterson due up.
Tigers 0, Blue Jays 2 Bot 3, 0 OutsMay 9 7:56 PM
- Jose Bautista doubled to center scored Corey Patterson. On the play, Bautista advanced to third on the throw. Runner on third with one out and Edwin Encarnacion due up.
Tigers 0, Blue Jays 1 Bot 1, 1 OutMay 9 7:21 PM
- DETROIT: 0
Top 1, 0 Outs
May 9 7:11 PM
- Zimmermann expected to miss at least 1 start for Tigers May 23
- Blue Jays-Yankees Preview May 23
- LEADING OFF: Kershaw tests streak vs Reds, Colon faces Nats May 23
- Ejections aplenty for Blue Jays lately May 23
- Baseball Capsules May 22
- Tigers beat Rays 9-4 but Zimmermann, Cabrera hurt May 22
- Phillies-Tigers Preview May 22
- Hughes drops to 1-7 as Twins lose to Blue Jays 3-1 May 22
- Bautista, Donaldson homers propel Blue Jays over Twins 3-1 May 22
- Eickhoff shuts down Braves over 7 innings, Phillies win 5-0 May 22
- Archer hit hard as Rays fall 9-4 to Tigers May 22
- Cabrera leaves game after being hit in knee area with pitch May 22