Avila's homer in eighth lifts Tigers over RaysMay 25, 2011 - 4:34 AM
Avila belted a solo homer to right off Wade Davis in the sixth inning, getting the Tigers within a run. Then in the eighth, Matt Joyce caught Andy Dirks' fly ball tight to the line in right. Jhonny Peralta walked to set up Avila. Cesar Ramos (0-1) came in to replace Joel Peralta and served up Avila's homer over the wall in left.
Miguel Cabrera crushed a three-run homer for the Tigers, who overcame four errors to capture their third win in a row, including the first two of this three-game series.
"It was a good game for us. We really battled hard," Tigers manager Jim Leyland said.
Joyce had three hits, including a two-run homer, but the Rays lost for the fifth time in six contests.
Tigers starter Justin Verlander, who is unbeaten in his last five starts, got off the hook after yielding nine hits and six runs over six frames.
Davis allowed eight hits and five runs -- four earned -- over six innings.
"They just came up with some really big hits when they needed to," Joyce said. "The last week has been a little rough."
Al Alburquerque (1-1) picked up his first major league win. Joaquin Benoit gave up a two-out single to Johnny Damon, but then retired Evan Longoria on a force play at second to end the game to lock down his first save of the year.
Detroit had men on first and second with two outs in the second when B.J. Upton dropped Austin Jackson's soft fly ball to center. That allowed Jhonny Peralta to score the game's first run.
Sean Rodriguez came home on John Jaso's groundout in the top of the third, and the Rays went ahead 3-1 in the next inning on Joyce's homer to right-center field.
Singles from Jackson and Don Kelly set up Cabrera's one-out homer to left, but the Rays scored three times in the sixth for a 6-4 edge. Upton singled in a run. Joyce then came home on an Avila throwing error, and a sacrifice fly from Casey Kotchman made it a two-run difference.
It marked Avila's second two-homer game this month. He hit a pair against the Yankees on May 2, a 5-3 Detroit defeat...The Rays are assured of losing back-to-back road series for the first time since last Sept. 3-8 (at Boston, Baltimore)...The Tigers placed pitcher Phil Coke on the 15-day day disabled list because of a bruised right foot. The Tigers also purchased the contract of pitcher Adam Wilk from Triple-A Toledo...This was the first time all season Verlander gave up more than three earned runs.
- TAMPA BAY: 6
May 24 10:20 PM
- Scott Sizemore singled to center. Runner on first with one out and Austin Jackson due up.
Rays 6, Tigers 7 Bot 8, 1 OutMay 24 10:06 PM
- Alex Avila one-out, solo Home Run (7).
Rays 6, Tigers 5 Bot 6, 1 OutMay 24 9:10 PM
- Casey Kotchman sacrifice fly out to center scored B.J. Upton. None on with two outs and Sean Rodriguez due up.
Rays 6, Tigers 4 Top 6, 2 OutsMay 24 9:08 PM
- B.J. Upton stole second. On the play, Matt Joyce Scores on Alex Avila's throwing error. B.J. Upton advances to third on Scott Sizemore's fielding error. Runner on third with one out and Casey Kotchman at the plate.
Rays 5, Tigers 4 Top 6, 1 OutMay 24 9:07 PM
- B.J. Upton single to right scored Evan Longoria. On the play, Matt Joyce advances to third. Runners on first and third with one out and Casey Kotchman due up.
Rays 4, Tigers 4 Top 6, 1 OutMay 24 8:57 PM
- Miguel Cabrera one-out, three-run Home Run (9) scored Austin Jackson and Don Kelly.
Rays 3, Tigers 4 Bot 5, 1 OutMay 24 8:46 PM
- Matt Joyce one-out, two-run Home Run (8) scored Johnny Damon.
Rays 3, Tigers 1 Top 4, 1 OutMay 24 8:14 PM
- John Jaso ground out short to first scored Sean Rodriguez. None on with two outs and Ben Zobrist due up.
Rays 1, Tigers 1 Top 3, 2 OutsMay 24 7:58 PM
- Austin Jackson reached first on B.J. Upton's fielding error which scored Jhonny Peralta. On the play, Scott Sizemore advances to third. Runners on first and third with two outs and Don Kelly due up.
Rays 0, Tigers 1 Bot 2, 2 OutsMay 24 7:45 PM
- TAMPA BAY: 0
Top 1, 1 Out
May 24 7:08 PM
- Rays' Kiermaier expected to miss 8-10 weeks with broken hand May 23
- Rays-Marlins Preview May 23
- Zimmermann expected to miss at least 1 start for Tigers May 23
- LEADING OFF: Kershaw tests streak vs Reds, Colon faces Nats May 23
- Baseball Capsules May 22
- Tigers beat Rays 9-4 but Zimmermann, Cabrera hurt May 22
- Phillies-Tigers Preview May 22
- Eickhoff shuts down Braves over 7 innings, Phillies win 5-0 May 22
- Archer hit hard as Rays fall 9-4 to Tigers May 22
- Signs of progress for Stanton in Marlins' 8-2 loss to Nats May 22
- Cabrera leaves game after being hit in knee area with pitch May 22
- Detroit's Zimmermann leaves in 6th with groin strain May 22