Rockies hold off Tigers; Jimenez leaves with calf injuryJun 19, 2011 - 6:51 AM
Ty Wigginton notched an RBI double and Carlos Gonzalez also drove in a run for the Rockies, who have won the first two games in the set and four straight overall.
Ubaldo Jimenez (2-7) departed in the sixth inning with a right calf cramp, but won despite allowing eight hits and three runs. He also fanned five and walked two, and helped his cause with a two-run single in a three-run second inning.
"I spent too much time on the bases," Jimenez said. "The first time, when I ran from first to third [in the second inning], that's when I started to feel it."
Huston Street allowed an RBI single to Brennan Boesch in the ninth but held on to record his 20th save.
Ryan Raburn posted a two-run double for the Tigers, who have lost three of four. Phil Coke (1-7) was tagged in defeat for four runs on five hits with seven walks over five full frames. The lefty hasn't won since April 14.
"I just didn't quite have the command that I'm known for," Coke said.
Nelson extended the Rockies' edge to 5-3 with his one-out solo homer in the sixth, and the bullpen took control from there. Matt Reynolds and Matt Belisle turned in a scoreless seventh, then Rafael Betancourt retired the side in order in the eighth.
Street set down the first two Tigers in the ninth, then issued a walk to pinch-hitter Alex Avila. He moved up on defensive indifference and scored on Boesch's line single to right. Miguel Cabrera then put a charge into a pitch but it was tracked down in left to end the game.
Colorado tallied three times in the second inning. Chris Iannetta walked to load the bases with two down, then Jimenez cracked a single to center which brought in two and Gonzalez followed with a run-scoring hit.
Detroit responded in the fourth as Victor Martinez singled, moved to second on a double play and scored on a Jhonny Peralta double.
Wigginton doubled home Troy Tulowitzki in the fifth to make it 4-1, but Detroit came within a run in the sixth.
Jimenez allowed back-to-back singles to Martinez and Andy Dirks before leaving with his injury. Matt Lindstrom entered but allowed an infield single to Peralta and Raburn's two-run double.
Colorado has won four of its last five meetings with Detroit since 2009...Despite the setback, the Tigers have posted an impressive 64-31 mark since interleague play began in 1997...On this date in 2010, Jimenez was 13-1 with a 1.15 earned run average...The Rockies improved to 6-3 on their current 10-game homestand.
- DETROIT: 4
Jun 18 11:19 PM
- Brennan Boesch single to right scored Alex Avila with two out. Runner on first and Miguel Cabrera due up.
Tigers 4, Rockies 5 Top 9, 2 OutsJun 18 11:17 PM
- Chris Nelson one-out, solo Home Run (2) to left. Todd Helton due up.
Tigers 3, Rockies 5 Bot 6, 1 OutJun 18 10:15 PM
- Ryan Raburn double to right scored Victor Martinez and Andy Dirks with none out. On the play, Jhonny Peralta was thrown out at home, right to short to catcher. Runner on second with one out and Phil Coke due up.
Tigers 3, Rockies 4 Top 6, 1 OutJun 18 10:06 PM
- Ty Wigginton double to left scored Troy Tulowitzki with one out. Runner on second and Ryan Spilborghs due up.
Tigers 1, Rockies 4 Bot 5, 1 OutJun 18 9:39 PM
- Jhonny Peralta double to right scored Victor Martinez with two out. Runner on second and Ryan Raburn due up.
Tigers 1, Rockies 3 Top 4, 2 OutsJun 18 9:11 PM
- Carlos Gonzalez single to right scored Chris Iannetta with two out. On the play, Ubaldo Jimenez advances to third. Runners on first and third and Chris Nelson due up.
Tigers 0, Rockies 3 Bot 2, 2 OutsJun 18 8:42 PM
- Ubaldo Jimenez single to center scored Ryan Spilborghs and Charlie Blackmon with two out. On the play, Chris Iannetta advances to third. Runners on first and third and Carlos Gonzalez due up.
Tigers 0, Rockies 2 Bot 2, 2 OutsJun 18 8:40 PM
- DETROIT: 0
Top 1, 0 Outs
Jun 18 8:10 PM
- Zimmermann expected to miss at least 1 start for Tigers May 23
- Ventura: Relievers, media pose threats to Bradley's streak May 23
- Pirates' Vogelsong hit in head by pitch, leaves game May 23
- LEADING OFF: Kershaw tests streak vs Reds, Colon faces Nats May 23
- Baseball Capsules May 22
- Tigers beat Rays 9-4 but Zimmermann, Cabrera hurt May 22
- Rockies-Pirates postponed after 1 inning; makeup on Monday May 22
- Phillies-Tigers Preview May 22
- Eickhoff shuts down Braves over 7 innings, Phillies win 5-0 May 22
- Archer hit hard as Rays fall 9-4 to Tigers May 22
- Cabrera leaves game after being hit in knee area with pitch May 22
- Detroit's Zimmermann leaves in 6th with groin strain May 22