Detroit hangs on to defeat Kansas CityJul 9, 2011 - 5:57 AM
Brennan Boesch, Victor Martinez and Jhonny Peralta also drove in runs for Detroit, which has won three in a row.
Rick Porcello (8-6) allowed three runs -- one earned -- on six hits over 5 1/3 innings to get the win. He also struck out five while walking one.
Melky Cabrera went 3-for-4, scored twice and had an RBI for the Royals, who have dropped three of their last five.
Alex Gordon also had three hits and an RBI in the loss, while Kyle Davies (1-8) was touched for five runs on nine hits over six innings in defeat.
The Tigers wasted no time getting after Davies. Dirks drilled the first pitch of the game for a double. After Boesch grounded out, Ordonez lifted a two-run shot over the fence in left field.
But the homer was negated with two runs on the home team's first turn at the plate. Leadoff man Chris Getz reached first on Brandon Inge's error and raced to third on Cabrera's single before coming home on Gordon's single. Later in the inning, Jeff Francoeur's sacrifice fly plated Cabrera for a 2-2 tie.
Detroit had the bases loaded with no outs in the second, but got one run when Dirks grounded into a force out and pushed across Peralta.
But the Tigers plated a pair of runs in the third after a couple of doubles. Ordonez walked and came home on a double from Victor Martinez, who touched home on Peralta's two-bagger.
Kansas City got a run back during the bottom of the third when Cabrera singled, moved to second on Gordon's base hit and came home on Billy Butler's grounder through the left side.
It was cut to a 5-4 game in the seventh when Cabrera doubled in Wilson Betemit.
Boesch, who returned to the lineup after fouling a ball off his right knee on Tuesday, grounded into a force out to score Ryan Raburn for an insurance run in the ninth.
Jose Valverde entered the bottom half to make the game interesting.
"He'll make it interesting sometimes, but he gets the job done," Porcello said of his teammate. "There's nobody else I'd rather have out there. He's doing a great job."
He surrendered a leadoff single to Brayan Pena, before getting Alcides Escobar to ground out and fanning Betemit. The closer then walked Cabrera and Gordon to load the bases and put the winning run on first.
However, Valverde induced Butler's flair out to right to end the game and record his 23rd save of the season.
"Closers have their antics and what they go by ... We got into a good position and just couldn't get it done," Butler said.
During the game, Peralta was named to the American League All-Star team, replacing the Yankees' Derek Jeter...Porcello improved to 5-2 on the road this season...Detroit is 5-2 against the Royals this season and has won 10 of the last 15 matchups between the two clubs.
- DETROIT: 6
KANSAS CITY: 4
Jul 8 11:26 PM
- Austin Jackson is pinch-running for Brennan Boesch.
Tigers 6, Royals 4 Top 9, 2 OutsJul 8 11:02 PM
- Alex Gordon struck out swinging. Runner on second with two outs and Billy Butler due up.
Tigers 5, Royals 4 Bot 7, 2 OutsJul 8 10:29 PM
- Jeff Francoeur popped out to second. Runners on first and third with two outs and Mike Moustakas due up.
Tigers 5, Royals 3 Bot 3, 2 OutsJul 8 9:24 PM
- Jhonny Peralta doubled to left scoring Miguel Cabrera. Runner on second with one out and Alex Avila due up.
Tigers 5, Royals 2 Top 3, 1 OutJul 8 9:03 PM
- Victor Martinez grounded out second to first scoring Magglio Ordonez. On the play, Miguel Cabrera advances to third. Runner on third with one out and Jhonny Peralta due up.
Tigers 4, Royals 2 Top 3, 1 OutJul 8 9:03 PM
- Andy Dirks grounded into a fielder's choice, second to short scoring Jhonny Peralta. Ryan Raburn out at second. Alex Avila advances to third. Runners on first and third with two outs and Brennan Boesch due up.
Tigers 3, Royals 2 Top 2, 2 OutsJul 8 8:47 PM
- Jeff Francoeur sacrifice fly out to right scored Melky Cabrera. Runners on first and second and with two outs and Mike Moustakas due up.
Tigers 2, Royals 2 Bot 1, 2 OutsJul 8 8:35 PM
- Billy Butler struck out swinging. On the play, Alex Gordon stole second. Melky Cabrera stole third. Runners on second and third and with one out and Eric Hosmer due up.
Tigers 2, Royals 1 Bot 1, 1 OutJul 8 8:29 PM
- Miguel Cabrera struck out swinging. None on with two outs and Victor Martinez due up.
Tigers 2, Royals 0 Top 1, 2 OutsJul 8 8:14 PM
- DETROIT: 0
KANSAS CITY: 0
Top 1, 0 Outs
Jul 8 8:10 PM
- Zimmermann expected to miss at least 1 start for Tigers May 23
- LEADING OFF: Kershaw tests streak vs Reds, Colon faces Nats May 23
- Baseball Capsules May 22
- Tigers beat Rays 9-4 but Zimmermann, Cabrera hurt May 22
- Royals-Twins Preview May 22
- Ventura steps up, but Royals fall short, 3-2 May 22
- Phillies-Tigers Preview May 22
- White Sox beat Royals 3-2 to avoid sweep May 22
- Hughes drops to 1-7 as Twins lose to Blue Jays 3-1 May 22
- Eickhoff shuts down Braves over 7 innings, Phillies win 5-0 May 22
- Archer hit hard as Rays fall 9-4 to Tigers May 22
- White Sox beat Royals 3-2 to avoid sweep May 22