Tigers beat Twins for 10th straight timeJul 22, 2011 - 3:56 AM
Detroit moved to 6-0 this season against the Twins and has won 10 in a row over Minnesota. It's Detroit's longest winning streak ever against the Twins, topping a nine-game run when the Twins were the Washington Senators July 27, 1949 - May 6, 1950.
Verlander (13-5) allowed five hits, one run and fanned nine over eight innings to rebound from his worst start in nearly two months. He gave up four earned runs to the White Sox last Friday, but in this game threw 126 pitches, 83 for strikes.
"He had his good stuff," Twins manager Ron Gardenhire admitted. "He had command of three pitches. He pretty much shut us down. The times we had a couple of opportunities he did what strikeout guys do and he made pitches and pumped up the volume and shut us down."
Jhonny Peralta had three hits, including a homer, and knocked in three runs for the Tigers, who won for the third time in four contests and moved into sole possession of first place in the AL Central, a half-game ahead of Cleveland. Brennan Boesch added a two-run homer.
Michael Cuddyer drove in a run for the Twins, who are six games out of first place.
Carl Pavano (6-7) surrendered nine hits and five runs over six innings.
Cuddyer tripled leading off the second inning, but Verlander fanned the next two hitters and retired Delmon Young to escape the jam.
"Being able to get out of that inning unscathed, kind of turned it around, gave our guys a little shot in the arm," Verlander said. "A lot of times we go back out there and score some runs."
The Tigers loaded the bases in the fourth inning before Peralta's single to right plated Boesch.
Wilson Betemit, who joined the Tigers via trade Wednesday from Kansas City, singled with one out in the fifth. With two down, Boesch cranked his 14th homer of the year, a shot to right-center.
"Pavano's a really good pitcher," Boesch said. "I just had to battle all game and got a pitch to hit, and didn't miss it."
Detroit expanded the lead to 5-0 the following inning. Miguel Cabrera doubled to lead off the inning and Victor Martinez followed with a single. Peralta then hit a line-drive double down the left-field line. Carlos Guillen followed with a sacrifice fly to left.
Cuddyer singled in Alexi Casilla in the sixth, but Joe Mauer was left at third when Jim Thome struck out looking to end the inning.
"I think that his demeanor has been pretty good all year, pretty consistent," Tigers manager Jim Leyland said of Verlander. "The concentration level has been outstanding."
Peralta homered to the second deck in left on the first pitch of the eighth inning from Chuck James.
Betemit's throwing error in the ninth inning allowed pinch-runner Jason Repko to score.
Detroit designated third baseman Brandon Inge for assignment to make room on the roster for Betemit...Twins outfielder/designated hitter Jason Kubel, who has been on the disabled list since the end of May with a sprained left foot, was activated after Thursday's game...The Tigers are 20-10 vs. the AL Central this year.
- DETROIT: 6
Jul 21 11:07 PM
- Jhonny Peralta lead-off Home Run (15) to left. Carlos Guillen due up.
Tigers 6, Twins 1 Top 8, 0 OutsJul 21 10:29 PM
- Michael Cuddyer single to right scored Alexi Casilla with two out. On the play, Joe Mauer advanced to third. Runners on first and third and Jim Thome due up.
Tigers 5, Twins 1 Bot 6, 2 OutsJul 21 10:04 PM
- Carlos Guillen sacrifice fly to left scored Victor Martinez with one out. Runner on second and Alex Avila due up.
Tigers 5, Twins 0 Top 6, 1 OutJul 21 9:49 PM
- Jhonny Peralta double to left scored Miguel Cabrera with none out. On the play, Victor Martinez advanced to third. Runners on second and third and Carlos Guillen due up.
Tigers 4, Twins 0 Top 6, 0 OutsJul 21 9:48 PM
- Brennan Boesch two-out, two-run Home Run (14) to right center scored Wilson Betemit. Magglio Ordonez due up.
Tigers 3, Twins 0 Top 5, 2 OutsJul 21 9:34 PM
- Jhonny Peralta single to right scored Brennan Boesch with one out. On the play, Victor Martinez advanced to second and Miguel Cabrera advanced to third. Bases loaded and Carlos Guillen due up.
Tigers 1, Twins 0 Top 4, 1 OutJul 21 9:09 PM
- DETROIT: 0
Top 1, 0 Outs
Jul 21 8:11 PM
- Zimmermann expected to miss at least 1 start for Tigers May 23
- LEADING OFF: Kershaw tests streak vs Reds, Colon faces Nats May 23
- Ejections aplenty for Blue Jays lately May 23
- Baseball Capsules May 22
- Tigers beat Rays 9-4 but Zimmermann, Cabrera hurt May 22
- Royals-Twins Preview May 22
- Ventura steps up, but Royals fall short, 3-2 May 22
- Phillies-Tigers Preview May 22
- Hughes drops to 1-7 as Twins lose to Blue Jays 3-1 May 22
- Bautista, Donaldson homers propel Blue Jays over Twins 3-1 May 22
- Eickhoff shuts down Braves over 7 innings, Phillies win 5-0 May 22
- Archer hit hard as Rays fall 9-4 to Tigers May 22