Tigers beat White Sox 18-2 to sweep key seriesSep 5, 2011 - 5:29 AM
Miguel Cabrera and Andy Dirks both hit two-run homers and knocked in four runs apiece, and the Tigers dealt the White Sox a crushing three-game sweep with an 18-2 win on Sunday night.
First place Detroit outscored Chicago 35-11 in the series, knocking the White Sox 8 1/2 games back in the AL Central.
"A very bad weekend," said Chicago manager Ozzie Guillen. "We got here at the wrong time, I guess. Those guys swung the bat good all weekend and we couldn't stop it."
Alex Avila had four of Detroit's 24 hits, an offensive outburst that helped Max Scherzer comfortably increase his career-high win total.
Scherzer (14-8) threw seven shutout innings, giving up just five hits, and struck out six without issuing a walk as the Tigers won their third straight to remain 6 1/2 games ahead of second place Cleveland in the division.
The White Sox, mired in a four-game losing streak, didn't scored until the ninth inning. They had three of their nine hits in the frame.
The Tigers scored 15 of their runs in just three innings and moved to 18-6 in the last 24 meetings between the teams.
"The guys were ready to play," Tigers manager Jim Leyland said.
Starter Mark Buehrle (11-7) took the brunt of the abuse, but the bullpen was also complicit.
It started with Victor Martinez's RBI single in the first inning and continued with a three-run third, when Martinez and Avila both singled home runs. But things didn't turn ugly until the fourth, when the Tigers scored five times and knocked Buehrle out of the game.
The left-hander was pulled for Addison Reed after giving up an RBI single to Delmon Young and Cabrera's two-run double. Cabrera later scored on Avila's base hit to center, sliding behind a swiping tag by catcher A.J. Pierzynski, and Avila came home on Jhonny Peralta's single to make it 9-0.
Buehrle was charged with eight runs -- seven earned -- on 10 hits and two walks in just 3 1/3 innings. He struck out four.
"It was just one of those nights where you make a mistake and they crush it, you make a good pitch and they're finding holes," Buehrle said.
In the sixth, Detroit jumped on reliever Shane Lindsay for eight hits and seven runs to push its lead to 16-0. Cabrera hit his 26th homer of the season during the rally, while Peralta, Brandon Inge and Dirks also knocked in runs.
Dirks belted his seventh homer of the season in the eighth, while Donny Lucy had an RBI double and Alex Rios hit a sacrifice fly in the ninth for Chicago.
How efficient was the Detroit offense? It went 11-for-24 with runners in scoring position for a .458 average...Buehrle, who was making his 27th start of the season, saw his earned run average climb .29 points to 3.34...Scherzer won 12 games last year.
- CHICAGO: 2
Sep 4 11:30 PM
- Alex Rios sacrifice fly to center scored Donny Lucy. Runner on first with one out and Alejandro De Aza due up.
White Sox 2, Tigers 18 Top 9, 1 OutSep 4 11:26 PM
- Donny Lucy doubled to right center scored Brent Lillibridge. Runner on second with none out and Dayan Viciedo due up.
White Sox 1, Tigers 18 Top 9, 0 OutsSep 4 11:24 PM
- Andy Dirks none-out, two-run Home Run (7) to right scored Ramon Santiago. Don Kelly due up.
White Sox 0, Tigers 18 Bot 8, 0 OutsSep 4 11:11 PM
- Miguel Cabrera two-out, two-run Home Run (26) to center scored Andy Dirks. Victor Martinez due up.
White Sox 0, Tigers 16 Bot 6, 2 OutsSep 4 10:37 PM
- Pinch-Hitter Andy Dirks singled to center scored Brandon Inge and Austin Jackson. Runner on first with two outs and Miguel Cabrera due up.
White Sox 0, Tigers 14 Bot 6, 2 OutsSep 4 10:34 PM
- Brandon Inge singled to left center scored Jhonny Peralta. Runner on first with one out and Austin Jackson due up.
White Sox 0, Tigers 12 Bot 6, 1 OutSep 4 10:29 PM
- Jhonny Peralta doubled to right scored Victor Martinez and Alex Avila. Runner on second with none out and Ryan Raburn due up.
White Sox 0, Tigers 11 Bot 6, 0 OutsSep 4 10:26 PM
- Ryan Raburn singled to center. On the play, Jhonny Peralta advances to second. Runners on first and second with two outs and Brandon Inge due up.
White Sox 0, Tigers 9 Bot 4, 2 OutsSep 4 9:44 PM
- Alex Avila singled to center scored Miguel Cabrera. Runner on second with two outs as Avila advanced to second on the throw home and Jhonny Peralta due up.
White Sox 0, Tigers 8 Bot 4, 2 OutsSep 4 9:39 PM
- Miguel Cabrera doubled to left center scored Austin Jackson and Delmon Young. Runner on second with one out and Victor Martinez due up.
White Sox 0, Tigers 7 Bot 4, 1 OutSep 4 9:29 PM
- Delmon Young infield single to short scored Brandon Inge. On the play, Austin Jackson advances to second. Runners on first and second with one out and Miguel Cabrera due up.
White Sox 0, Tigers 5 Bot 4, 1 OutSep 4 9:27 PM
- Jhonny Peralta grounded into a fielder's choice short to second. On the play, Gordon Beckham's throwing error scored Victor Martinez. Peralta advances to second, Alex Avila out at second. Runner on second with two outs and Ryan Raburn due up.
White Sox 0, Tigers 4 Bot 3, 2 OutsSep 4 9:08 PM
- Alex Avila singled to left scored Delmon Young. On the play, Victor Martinez advances to second. Runners on first and second with one out and Jhonny Peralta due up.
White Sox 0, Tigers 3 Bot 3, 1 OutSep 4 9:05 PM
- Victor Martinez singled to left scored Magglio Ordonez. On the play, Delmon Young advances to third. Runners on first and third with one out and Alex Avila due up.
White Sox 0, Tigers 2 Bot 3, 1 OutSep 4 9:04 PM
- Victor Martinez singled to center scored Austin Jackson. On the play, Miguel Cabrera advances to second. Runners on first and second with two outs and Alex Avila due up.
White Sox 0, Tigers 1 Bot 1, 2 OutsSep 4 8:22 PM
- CHICAGO: 0
Top 1, 0 Outs
Sep 4 8:10 PM
- Zimmermann expected to miss at least 1 start for Tigers May 23
- Ventura: Relievers, media pose threats to Bradley's streak May 23
- Indians-White Sox Preview May 23
- Indians' Joba Chamberlain (chest muscle) on disabled list May 23
- LEADING OFF: Kershaw tests streak vs Reds, Colon faces Nats May 23
- Baseball Capsules May 22
- Ventura steps up, but Royals fall short, 3-2 May 22
- Phillies-Tigers Preview May 22
- White Sox beat Royals 3-2 to avoid sweep May 22
- Eickhoff shuts down Braves over 7 innings, Phillies win 5-0 May 22
- Archer hit hard as Rays fall 9-4 to Tigers May 22
- White Sox beat Royals 3-2 to avoid sweep May 22