Pence's 9th-inning hit gets Astros past RedsMay 11, 2011 - 10:10 PM
J.R. Towles drew a one-out walk off Cincinnati's Mike Leake (3-2) and Pence followed by lining a double into the right-field corner.
Michael Bourn hit a two-run single for the Astros, who snapped their losing streak at four games. Mark Melancon (3-1) earned the win after recording three groundouts in the top of the ninth.
Houston starter Wandy Rodriguez gave up three runs on 10 hits over seven innings.
Pinch-hitter Chris Heisey and Drew Stubbs hit back-to-back home runs in the seventh for Cincinnati, which lost for just the second time in its last eight games. Reds starter Edinson Volquez allowed three runs on three hits and walked five in four frames.
The Astros grabbed a 2-0 lead in the second. Volquez walked the bases loaded after retiring the first batter. Rodriguez popped out to shortstop Edgar Renteria, then Bourn plated a pair by grounding a single to right field.
Matt Downs lofted a sacrifice fly in the third for a 3-0 Houston lead.
Joey Votto tripled to leadoff the fourth and scored Cincinnati's first run when Brandon Phillips grounded out.
After the Reds tied the game in the top of the seventh, Cincinnati reliever Logan Ondrusek escaped a bases-loaded jam in the bottom half.
Pence extended his hitting streak to a National League-leading 15 games...Cincinnati starting pitchers entered Wednesday having thrown 23 consecutive scoreless innings...The Reds have still won six of nine against the Astros this season.
- CINCINNATI: 3
May 11 5:05 PM
- Hunter Pence doubled to right scoring J.R. Towles with one out to win the game.
Reds 3, Astros 4 Bot 9, 1 OutMay 11 5:05 PM
- Drew Stubbs one-out, solo Home Run (7) to right. Edgar Renteria due up.
Reds 3, Astros 3 Top 7, 1 OutMay 11 4:15 PM
- Pinch-Hitter Chris Heisey one-out, solo Home Run (3) to left. Drew Stubbs due up.
Reds 2, Astros 3 Top 7, 1 OutMay 11 4:14 PM
- Brandon Phillips grounded out short to first scoring Joey Votto with one out. None on and Jonny Gomes due up.
Reds 1, Astros 3 Top 4, 1 OutMay 11 3:12 PM
- Matt Downs sacrifice fly to center scored Brett Wallace with two out. Runner on second and Brian Bogusevic due up.
Reds 0, Astros 3 Bot 3, 2 OutsMay 11 3:05 PM
- Michael Bourn singled to right scoring Matt Downs and Brian Bogusevic with two out. On the play, Clint Barmes advances to third. Runners on first and third and J.R. Towles due up.
Reds 0, Astros 2 Bot 2, 2 OutsMay 11 2:43 PM
- CINCINNATI: 0
Top 1, 0 Outs
May 11 2:09 PM
- Orioles-Astros Preview May 23
- LEADING OFF: Kershaw tests streak vs Reds, Colon faces Nats May 23
- Reds-Dodgers Preview May 23
- Baseball Capsules May 22
- Hamels fans 11, Rangers down Keuchel, Astros 9-2 for sweep May 22
- Martin, Cano help Mariners sweep, hand Reds 7th loss in row May 22
- Reds promote 3 pitchers from Triple-A Louisville May 22
- Baseball Capsules May 22
- Rangers-Astros Preview May 21
- Andrus, Ramos lead Rangers over Astros 2-1 May 21
- Mariners-Reds Preview May 21
- Gutierrez homers, Mariners beat Reds 4-0 with Junior honored May 21