Rockies top Reds in Cincinnati slugfestAug 9, 2011 - 4:36 AM
Seth Smith smacked a pair of two-run homers. Todd Helton also went deep as part of a three-hit, three-RBI performance for the Rockies, who won for just the third time in their last nine games.
The Rockies, who had 14 hits, somehow went 0-for-9 with men in scoring position, but despite leaving 11 men on base managed to grab the rainy opener of this four-game series.
Brandon Phillips, who hasn't started for two straight games because of an ankle injury, tied the game with a pinch-hit solo homer in the seventh, an upper deck blast to left field.
Jay Bruce hit a three-run home run and Drew Stubbs added a two-run blast for the Reds, who lost for the fourth time in five games.
Phillips hit the first pitch from Rex Brothers in the seventh inning approximately 432 feet, tying the game, but the Reds couldn't capitalize later in the frame with two men in scoring position. Former Red Matt Belisle (6-4) retired Todd Frazier on a foul out to first to escape the inning.
Dexter Fowler singled to left off Bill Bray (2-2) leading off the eighth. Mark Ellis popped out on a bunt try, but Gonzalez then went deep to right-center field with the ball landing on the grass beyond the wall, about 439 feet from home plate.
"What an at-bat he took," Rockies manager Jim Tracy said of Gonzalez. "That's one of the better swings that he's taken obviously."
Ellis doubled in Fowler in the ninth.
Jason Hammel lasted four innings, allowing four hits and six runs in the start for Colorado. Huston Street retired the side in order in the ninth for his 29th save.
Reds starting pitcher Homer Bailey gave up six hits and five runs through three innings.
"Of course, it's frustrating. We're a much better team than our record (55-60) states," Bailey said. "We have games like that where things don't quite go our way."
The Reds jumped out to an early 3-0 lead in the first thanks to Bruce's 22nd long ball of the year, but Smith went deep in the second, and the Rockies went ahead in the third. Helton singled in a run and came home on Smith's third blast of the night.
The Reds offense felt no ill-effects from a 94-minute rain delay, promptly adding three runs in the home half of the third. Edgar Renteria doubled down the line in right then scored on a Bruce single. One hitter later, Stubbs belted a first-pitch fastball into the stands in left to give the Reds a 6-5 advantage.
The Rockies came back in the fifth with two more to go up 7-6. Troy Tulowitzki singled before Helton laced a line-drive home run to right.
Smith had his second multi-homer game this season...This was the first rain delay at Great American Ball Park this season, aside from two postponements May 2 and June 21...Tulowitzki has five straight multi-hit games. Over his last six contests, he's 13-for-20.
- COLORADO: 10
Aug 8 11:56 PM
- Mark Ellis double to right scored Dexter Fowler with two outs. Runner on second with Carlos Gonzalez due up.
Rockies 10, Reds 7 Top 9, 2 OutsAug 8 11:47 PM
- Troy Tulowitzki doubled to center. Runner on second with one out and Todd Helton due up.
Rockies 9, Reds 7 Top 8, 1 OutAug 8 11:20 PM
- Pinch-Hitter Brandon Phillips lead-off Home Run (11) to left. Fred Lewis due up.
Rockies 7, Reds 7 Bot 7, 0 OutsAug 8 10:58 PM
- Chris Iannetta grounded into a double play, first to short to pitcher. Ty Wigginton out at second. Seth Smith advances to third. Runner on third with two outs and Jason Hammel due up.
Rockies 7, Reds 6 Top 5, 2 OutsAug 8 10:16 PM
- Drew Stubbs two-out, two-run Home Run (15) to left scored Jay Bruce. Ramon Hernandez due up.
Rockies 5, Reds 6 Bot 3, 2 OutsAug 8 9:43 PM
- Jay Bruce single to right scored Edgar Renteria with one out. Runner on first with Todd Frazier due up.
Rockies 5, Reds 4 Bot 3, 1 OutAug 8 9:40 PM
- Seth Smith two-out, two-run Home Run 2 (11) to right scored Todd Helton. Ty Wigginton due up.
Rockies 5, Reds 3 Top 3, 2 OutsAug 8 7:58 PM
- Todd Helton single to left scored Mark Ellis with two outs. Runner on first and Seth Smith due up.
Rockies 3, Reds 3 Top 3, 2 OutsAug 8 7:57 PM
- Seth Smith none-out, two-run Home Run (10) to right scored Todd Helton. Ty Wigginton due up.
Rockies 2, Reds 3 Top 2, 0 OutsAug 8 7:33 PM
- Jay Bruce one-out, three-run Home Run (22) to right scored Fred Lewis and Joey Votto. Todd Frazier due up.
Rockies 0, Reds 3 Bot 1, 1 OutAug 8 7:27 PM
- COLORADO: 0
Top 1, 0 Outs
Aug 8 7:11 PM
- Ventura: Relievers, media pose threats to Bradley's streak May 23
- Pirates' Vogelsong hit in head by pitch, leaves game May 23
- LEADING OFF: Kershaw tests streak vs Reds, Colon faces Nats May 23
- Reds-Dodgers Preview May 23
- Baseball Capsules May 22
- Rockies-Pirates postponed after 1 inning; makeup on Monday May 22
- Martin, Cano help Mariners sweep, hand Reds 7th loss in row May 22
- Reds promote 3 pitchers from Triple-A Louisville May 22
- Closer Melancon takes first loss as Pirates fall to Rockies May 22
- Baseball Capsules May 22
- Rockies-Pirates Preview May 21
- Mariners-Reds Preview May 21