Bruce powers Reds past PadresAug 13, 2011 - 3:54 AM
Pinch-hitter Ramon Hernandez drew a one-out free pass in the eighth before Joey Votto was intentionally walked with two outs. Bruce then came to the plate and clobbered a 0-1 offering over the right-field wall.
The Padres took a 3-2 lead in the away eighth after Orlando Hudson scored on Logan Forsythe's single to center, but Josh Spence (0-1) was unable to keep Cincinnati from rallying in the home half and took the loss after giving up the game-winning home run.
Bill Bray (3-2) took home the win for the Reds after recording the final out in the eighth. Francisco Cordero picked up his 23rd save of the season after tossing a perfect ninth frame.
Bronson Arroyo started for the Reds and allowed two runs -- one earned -- on six hits over six frames.
The Padres put a run on the board in the first to take an early 1-0 lead. Jason Bartlett reached on an error, moved to second after Cameron Maybin walked and advanced to third when Jesus Guzman grounded out. Hudson then knocked Bartlett in with a single to left-center.
Nick Hundley, fresh off the 15-day disabled list, gave San Diego a 2-0 lead after hitting a leadoff homer in the second. Hundley fell behind, 1-2, but Arroyo left a fastball over the plate and Hundley blasted it over the wall in left-center.
The Reds finally got on the board in the fourth, cutting the lead to 2-1. Paul Janish led off with a doubled off the left-field wall then scored when Bruce doubled two hitters later.
Cincinnati tied the game in the seventh at 2-2. Miguel Cairo tripled then scored when Drew Stubbs singled to center with one out. The Reds were unable to move Stubbs around as Mat Latos retired Ryan Hanigan and Todd Frazier to escape with no further damage.
Latos lasted seven innings and gave up two runs on four hits and struck out five.
Padres pitcher Aaron Harang, a former long-time member of the Reds, was honored prior to the game for his contributions to the community during his tenure with the club from 2003-2010...Arroyo has not picked up a win since June 25 when the Reds beat the Orioles. He also surrendered his major league- worst 33rd home run of the season in the second inning...Hundley was activated from the 15-day DL, Luis Martinez was optioned to Triple-A Tucson...Padres first baseman Jesus Guzman had his 12-game hit streak snapped.
- SAN DIEGO: 3
Aug 12 10:27 PM
- Jay Bruce two-out, three-run Home Run (24) to right scored Brandon Phillips and Joey Votto. Miguel Cairo due up.
Padres 3, Reds 5 Bot 8, 2 OutsAug 12 10:18 PM
- Logan Forsythe single to center scored Orlando Hudson. On the play, Nick Hundley advances to third. Runners on first and third with one out and Mat Latos due up.
Padres 3, Reds 2 Top 8, 1 OutAug 12 9:57 PM
- Drew Stubbs single to center scored Miguel Cairo. Runner on first with one out and Ryan Hanigan due up.
Padres 2, Reds 2 Bot 7, 1 OutAug 12 9:37 PM
- Jay Bruce double to right scored Paul Janish. Runner on second with one out and Miguel Cairo due up.
Padres 2, Reds 1 Bot 4, 1 OutAug 12 8:35 PM
- Nick Hundley lead-off Home Run (4) to center. Logan Forsythe due up.
Padres 2, Reds 0 Top 2, 0 OutsAug 12 7:43 PM
- Orlando Hudson single to left scored Jason Bartlett. On the play, Jesus Guzman advances to third. Runners on first and third with two out and Blake Tekotte due up.
Padres 1, Reds 0 Top 1, 2 OutsAug 12 7:26 PM
- SAN DIEGO: 0
Top 1, 0 Outs
Aug 12 7:10 PM
- LEADING OFF: Kershaw tests streak vs Reds, Colon faces Nats May 23
- Padres-Giants Preview May 23
- Reds-Dodgers Preview May 23
- Rookie Perdomo tough-luck loser in 9-5 defeat to Dodgers May 22
- Puig's 2-run single in 17th leads Dodgers over Padres, 9-5 May 22
- Baseball Capsules May 22
- Padres under fire for mishandling gay chorus' anthem May 22
- Plate umpire Rackley leaves after getting hit by foul bunt May 22
- Martin, Cano help Mariners sweep, hand Reds 7th loss in row May 22
- Reds promote 3 pitchers from Triple-A Louisville May 22
- Dodgers lose 3-2 in 11th after Tsao issues walk-off walk May 22
- Dodgers-Padres Preview May 22