Vargas shines as Mariners edge RangersMay 6, 2011 - 5:39 AM
Vargas (2-2) allowed just one run on six hits and two walks over 7 2/3 innings, and Jamey Wright bridged the gap to Brandon League, who hurled a perfect ninth to record his ninth save in as many chances.
Smoak went 3-for-4 with a solo home run, while Suzuki had two hits and an RBI for the Mariners, winners in seven of their last nine.
Colby Lewis (2-4) went the full eight innings, giving up three runs on eight hits while posting a career-high 11 strikeouts in the loss, Texas' sixth in eight games.
"[Lewis has] got good stuff. For us to win a game like that against him, it's a plus," Smoak said.
Smoak's fifth home run off the season leading off the second staked Seattle to an early lead, and doubles by Brendan Ryan and Luis Rodriguez an inning later made it a 2-0 game.
With a runner on second and two outs in the seventh frame, the Rangers opted to pitch to Suzuki, who slapped a base hit to left-center to bring in Jack Wilson for an added insurance run.
Vargas only had a pair of 1-2-3 innings, but he stranded a runner in scoring position in the first, fourth and fifth frames.
"We could've had all the approach we wanted to have tonight, [Vargas] was hitting dots out there. He was doing exactly what he wanted to do with that baseball," Rangers manager Ron Washington said.
The Rangers finally got to the lefty in the eighth, as Julio Borbon singled, stole second and scored on Ian Kinsler's double down the left-field line.
Wright entered with two outs and Kinsler on third and walked Michael Young before inducing a fielder's choice grounder to short off the bat of Adrian Beltre.
Rangers shortstop Elvis Andrus went 1-for-4, extending his hitting streak to 11 games...Lewis posted his second career complete game...Texas returns to Arlington for a nine-game homestand versus the Yankees, Athletics and Angels...Seattle will host the White Sox for three games this weekend.
- TEXAS: 1
May 6 12:37 AM
- Ian Kinsler double to left scored Julio Borbon with one out. Runner on second and Elvis Andrus due up.
Rangers 1, Mariners 3 Top 8, 1 OutMay 6 12:13 AM
- Ichiro Suzuki single to left scored Jack Wilson with two outs. Runner on first and Luis Rodriguez due up.
Rangers 0, Mariners 3 Bot 7, 2 OutsMay 6 12:01 AM
- Luis Rodriguez double to right scored Brendan Ryan with one out. Runner on second and Adam Kennedy due up.
Rangers 0, Mariners 2 Bot 3, 1 OutMay 5 10:56 PM
- Justin Smoak lead-off Home Run (5) to right. Ryan Langerhans due up.
Rangers 0, Mariners 1 Bot 2, 0 OutsMay 5 10:39 PM
- TEXAS: 0
Top 1, 0 Outs
May 5 10:10 PM
- Josh Hamilton will miss all season with another knee surgery May 23
- Angels-Rangers Preview May 23
- Rangers put OF Choo back on DL after only 1 game in return May 23
- Athletics-Mariners Preview May 23
- Ejections aplenty for Blue Jays lately May 23
- Baseball Capsules May 22
- Darvish seems ready for return to Rangers after strong rehab May 22
- Odor to have appeal hearing for 8-game suspension Tuesday May 22
- Hamels fans 11, Rangers down Keuchel, Astros 9-2 for sweep May 22
- Martin, Cano help Mariners sweep, hand Reds 7th loss in row May 22
- Mariners place Marte on 15-day DL, recall Taylor May 22
- Rangers-Astros Preview May 21