Mariners defeat Twins in extrasMay 24, 2011 - 4:53 AM
Jack Cust hit a two-run homer and Carlos Peguero added two hits with two RBI for the Mariners, who have reeled off six consecutive victories.
Jamey Wright (1-1) picked up the win after hurling a scoreless ninth and Brandon League earned his 11th save with a perfect 10th.
"Everybody contributed tonight. You could see what type of game it was gonna be early on. We kept competing and our bullpen did a good job," said Seattle manager Eric Wedge. "There are so many moments which ended up being turning points, times where if we don't execute, then we're not playing anymore."
Jim Thome's first action since April 30 saw the slugger rack up his 592nd and 593rd career homers -- both two-run shots -- for the Twins, who wasted a late three-run lead and lost their fourth straight game.
Denard Span homered among his three hits and knocked in two, but Anthony Swarzak (0-2) was charged with the winning run while recording two outs in the deciding frame.
Jack Wilson singled off Swarzak to start the 10th, and Miguel Olivo followed with another base hit before an Ichiro Suzuki sacrifice bunt moved both runners up. Chone Figgins was given a free pass to load the bases and Rodriguez lofted a ball just far enough to center to score Wilson with the lead run.
Phil Dumatrait got the call and retired Cust on a liner to keep it a one-run margin.
League wrapped up the game by retiring the side in order.
Cust hit a two-run shot in the Seattle first and Span countered with a leadoff homer in Minnesota's turn.
Chris Gimenez doubled in Wilson for a 3-1 Mariners lead in the second, and a Peguero groundout with two runners in scoring position made it a three-run contest.
In the fourth, Michael Cuddyer walked ahead of Thome's first two-run homer, then Delmon Young walked and later came in on a Span base hit for a 4-4 deadlock.
Young plated Cuddyer with a base hit in the fifth, then Cuddyer singled with two outs in the seventh before Thome cleared the wall in left to make it 7-4.
"You go on the DL, then go down and you always want to come back and swing the bat well," Thome said. "Unfortunately, we didn't win the ballgame, and that's what you wanna do every night."
Adam Kennedy's pinch-hit single and a fielder's choice grounder from Suzuki brought the M's within a run in the eighth, and Justin Smoak singled to start the ninth before his pinch-runner, Michael Saunders, scored on a two-out single from Peguero for a 7-7 tie.
Thome was intentionally walked in the ninth, but Minnesota failed to push across the winning run despite two on with two out.
Neither starter pitched particularly well. Seattle's Jacob Vargas out after giving up seven hits and five runs with four walks over 4 1/3 frames, while Minnesota's Carl Pavano lasted seven full frames and allowed four runs on nine hits.
Prior to the game, the Twins reinstated Thome and outfielder Jason Repko from the 15-day disabled list, then optioned infielder Luke Hughes and outfielder Ben Revere to Triple-A Rochester....Thome's last multi-homer game happened on September 4, 2010 against Texas...Cuddyer finished 2-for-3 and scored three runs...Wilson scored three runs and Cust crossed home twice for Seattle.
- SEATTLE: 8
May 24 12:06 AM
- Luis Rodriguez sacrifice fly out to center scored Jack Wilson. On the play, Miguel Olivo advances to third. Runners on first and third and with two outs and Jack Cust due up.
Mariners 8, Twins 7 Top 10, 2 OutsMay 23 11:56 PM
- Carlos Peguero singled to center scored Michael Saunders. Runner on first with two outs and Brendan Ryan due up.
Mariners 7, Twins 7 Top 9, 2 OutsMay 23 11:28 PM
- Ichiro Suzuki grounded into a fielder's choice, short to second scored Jack Wilson. Adam Kennedy out at second. Runner on first with two outs and Chone Figgins due up.
Mariners 6, Twins 7 Top 8, 2 OutsMay 23 11:03 PM
- Pinch-Hitter Adam Kennedy singled to right scored Brendan Ryan. On the play, Jack Wilson advances to third. Runners on first and third with one out and Ichiro Suzuki due up.
Mariners 5, Twins 7 Top 8, 1 OutMay 23 10:57 PM
- Jim Thome two-out, two-run Home Run 2 (4) to left scored Michael Cuddyer. Delmon Young due up.
Mariners 4, Twins 7 Bot 7, 2 OutsMay 23 10:39 PM
- Delmon Young singled to left scored Michael Cuddyer. On the play, Jim Thome advances to second. Runners on first and second with two outs and Danny Valencia due up.
Mariners 4, Twins 5 Bot 5, 2 OutsMay 23 10:08 PM
- Trevor Plouffe flied out to center to end the inning.
Mariners 4, Twins 4 End 4May 23 9:42 PM
- Jim Thome one-out, two-run Home Run (3) to right scored Michael Cuddyer. Delmon Young due up.
Mariners 4, Twins 3 Bot 4, 1 OutMay 23 9:31 PM
- Carlos Peguero grounded out second to first scored Jack Cust. On the play, Franklin Gutierrez advances to third. Runner on third with two outs and Brendan Ryan due up.
Mariners 4, Twins 1 Top 3, 2 OutsMay 23 9:00 PM
- Chris Gimenez doubled to right scored Jack Wilson. Runner on second with two outs and Ichiro Suzuki due up.
Mariners 3, Twins 1 Top 2, 2 OutsMay 23 8:47 PM
- Denard Span lead-off Home Run (2) to right. Trevor Plouffe due up.
Mariners 2, Twins 1 Bot 1, 0 OutsMay 23 8:35 PM
- Jack Cust two-out, two-run Home Run (1) to left center scored Ichiro Suzuki. Franklin Gutierrez due up.
Mariners 2, Twins 0 Top 1, 2 OutsMay 23 8:31 PM
- SEATTLE: 0
Top 1, 0 Outs
May 23 8:26 PM
- Athletics-Mariners Preview May 23
- Ejections aplenty for Blue Jays lately May 23
- Baseball Capsules May 22
- Royals-Twins Preview May 22
- Ventura steps up, but Royals fall short, 3-2 May 22
- Hughes drops to 1-7 as Twins lose to Blue Jays 3-1 May 22
- Bautista, Donaldson homers propel Blue Jays over Twins 3-1 May 22
- Martin, Cano help Mariners sweep, hand Reds 7th loss in row May 22
- Blue Jays manager Gibbons ejected for 4th time this season May 22
- Perkins slowing down rehab in return from shoulder strain May 22
- Mariners place Marte on 15-day DL, recall Taylor May 22
- Mariners-Reds Preview May 21