Blackburn goes the distance as Twins defeat MarinersMay 25, 2011 - 3:14 AM
Blackburn (4-4) went the distance for the fifth time in his career
Alexi Casilla had two hits and scored twice while Jason Kubel added two hits and an RBI for the Twins, who snapped a four-game slide.
"It felt good out there tonight," said Kubel. "I made some plays, the other guys made some plays and we got the win. We didn't score a bunch of runs, but we scored enough to win and that's all that counts."
Doug Fister (2-5) gave up all four runs on nine hits with six strikeouts over 6 2/3 innings while Miguel Olivo hit a two-run home run for the Mariners, who had a season-high six-game winning streak stopped.
"Their guy was throwing really strong tonight," said Seattle shortstop Brendan Ryan, who went 3-for-3 in the game. "I mean, all my hits were cheap and for the most part he was pounding the zone and getting us out."
In the first, Kubel singled home Span, who led off with a triple, for a 1-0 lead.
The third inning saw Minnesota make it a 2-0 game as Casilla led off with a double, moved to third on Span's groundout and came home when Matt Tolbert laid down the suicide squeeze.
Olivo, though, tied the game in the bottom of the inning with a blast over the left field wall.
The seventh inning saw Minnesota score twice for a 4-2 lead. Consecutive one- out singles from Rene Rivera and Casilla saw runners on first and third and Rivera then scored on a balk by Fister. Span followed with a double to play Casilla.
Blackburn set down Seattle in order in the eighth and ninth to complete the game.
Each team has won twice in the season series...Blackburn improved to 3-0 in five starts this month and is 3-1 over seven games against the Mariners...Fister fell to 0-4 in four starts against Minnesota...Minnesota's Michael Cuddyer sat out the game with a right hip strain. He is one hit shy of 1,000 for his career.
- SEATTLE: 2
May 24 10:31 PM
- Matt Tolbert flied out to left. Runner on third with two outs and Jason Kubel due up.
Mariners 2, Twins 4 Bot 7, 2 OutsMay 24 10:02 PM
- Alexi Casilla advances to second on a balk. On the play, Rene Rivera scored on a Doug Fister balk with one out. Runner on second and Denard Span at the plate.
Mariners 2, Twins 3 Bot 7, 1 OutMay 24 9:58 PM
- Jim Thome grounded out short to first. None on with one out and Delmon Young due up.
Mariners 2, Twins 2 Bot 4, 1 OutMay 24 9:08 PM
- Matt Tolbert sacrifice squeeze bunt to catcher scored Alexi Casilla with two out. None on and Jason Kubel due up.
Mariners 0, Twins 2 Bot 3, 2 OutsMay 24 8:53 PM
- Jason Kubel single to right scored Denard Span with one out. Runner on first and Justin Morneau due up.
Mariners 0, Twins 1 Bot 1, 1 OutMay 24 8:25 PM
- SEATTLE: 0
Top 1, 0 Outs
May 24 8:10 PM
- Athletics-Mariners Preview May 23
- Ejections aplenty for Blue Jays lately May 23
- Baseball Capsules May 22
- Royals-Twins Preview May 22
- Ventura steps up, but Royals fall short, 3-2 May 22
- Hughes drops to 1-7 as Twins lose to Blue Jays 3-1 May 22
- Bautista, Donaldson homers propel Blue Jays over Twins 3-1 May 22
- Martin, Cano help Mariners sweep, hand Reds 7th loss in row May 22
- Blue Jays manager Gibbons ejected for 4th time this season May 22
- Perkins slowing down rehab in return from shoulder strain May 22
- Mariners place Marte on 15-day DL, recall Taylor May 22
- Mariners-Reds Preview May 21