Trumbo powers Angels past Mariners in the ninthJul 9, 2011 - 5:47 AM Anaheim, CA (Sports Network) - Mark Trumbo blasted a leadoff homer in the bottom of the ninth as the Los Angeles Angels of Anaheim edged the Seattle Mariners, 4-3.
The Angels, who took the opener of this four-game series 5-1 on Thursday, were powered by solo blasts from Trumbo, Erick Aybar, Vernon Wells and Hank Conger.
David Pauley (5-2) worked out of a bases loaded jam in the eighth, but surrendered the decisive homer an inning later as the Mariners dropped their third straight.
"Pauley got us out of a jam in the eighth, but in the ninth he left it up and over the plate and Trumbo put a good swing on it," Mariners manager Eric Wedge said. "Usually you can live giving up solo homers, but four was too many."
Jordan Walden (2-2) threw a perfect ninth for the Angels, who have won nine of 11.
Aybar wasted little time getting the Angels on the board, lifting a leadoff home run inside the right field foul pole in the bottom of the first.
Seattle evened things up in the third, as Franklin Gutierrez began the frame with a single, advanced to second and third on Kyle Seager's fly out and Greg Halman's single, respectively, before crossing the plate on Ichiro Suzuki's groundout.
Consecutive singles from Dustin Ackley and Miguel Olivo placed runners on the corners in the fourth and Justin Smoak followed with a sac fly to bring home Ackley and put the Mariners on top.
The lead was short-lived, however, as another leadoff homer, this time off the bat of Wells, evened things up a half inning later.
The seesaw was in full effect by the fifth, as Halman ripped a one-out double, moved to third on Suzuki's bunt single and crossed the plate on Brendan Ryan's sac fly to left.
The Angels knotted things up in the seventh with their third solo shot of the game. Conger provided the game-tying blast to left, although Trumbo was caught stealing second during the at-bat. The rookie, however, would wholly redeem himself, ripping a 1-2 sinker over the fence in center to earn the dramatic win.
"It's awesome," Trumbo said of his first career walk-off homer. "I was looking to get something up. I was lucky to get something to work with."
Ervin Santana did not factor in the decision, allowing three runs on six hits over seven innings for the Angels. His counterpart, Blake Beavan, surrendered two runs on six hits over 6 1/3 frames...Howie Kendrick pushed his hit streak to a career-high 17 games...Center fielder Mike Trout made his major league debut for the Angels on Friday. At 19, he's marked as the youngest player to make his big league debut since the Mariners' Felix Hernandez in 2005. Trout went 0-for-3.
- SEATTLE: 3
LOS ANGELES: 4
Jul 9 1:04 AM
- Mark Trumbo lead-off Home Run (15) to center to win the game.
Mariners 3, Angels 4 Bot 9, 0 OutsJul 9 12:46 AM
- Hank Conger two-out, solo Home Run (5) to right. Mike Trout due up.
Mariners 3, Angels 3 Bot 7, 2 OutsJul 9 12:07 AM
- Brendan Ryan sacrifice fly out to left scored Greg Halman with two out. Runner on first and Dustin Ackley due up.
Mariners 3, Angels 2 Top 5, 2 OutsJul 8 11:25 PM
- Vernon Wells lead-off Home Run (13) to left. Howie Kendrick due up.
Mariners 2, Angels 2 Bot 4, 0 OutsJul 8 11:10 PM
- Justin Smoak sacrifice fly out to center scored Dustin Ackley with one out. On the play, Miguel Olivo advances to second. Runner on second and Jack Cust due up.
Mariners 2, Angels 1 Top 4, 1 OutJul 8 11:02 PM
- Ichiro Suzuki grounded out to first scored Franklin Gutierrez with two out. On the play, Greg Halman advances to third. Runner on third and Brendan Ryan due up.
Mariners 1, Angels 1 Top 3, 2 OutsJul 8 10:48 PM
- Erick Aybar lead-off Home Run (6) to right. Torii Hunter due up.
Mariners 0, Angels 1 Bot 1, 0 OutsJul 8 10:15 PM
- SEATTLE: 0
LOS ANGELES: 0
Top 1, 0 Outs
Jul 8 10:09 PM
- Angels-Rangers Preview May 23
- Athletics-Mariners Preview May 23
- Ejections aplenty for Blue Jays lately May 23
- Baseball Capsules May 22
- Perez's 5 RBIs help Weaver and Angels top Orioles 10-2 May 22
- Martin, Cano help Mariners sweep, hand Reds 7th loss in row May 22
- Mariners place Marte on 15-day DL, recall Taylor May 22
- Shoemaker strikes out 12, Angels lose 3-1 to Orioles May 22
- Wieters homers in ninth to lift Orioles past Angels, 3-1 May 22
- Orioles-Angels Preview May 22
- Baseball Capsules May 22
- Mariners-Reds Preview May 21