Angels top MarinersJul 10, 2011 - 4:42 AM Anaheim, CA (Sports Network) - Torii Hunter homered twice and knocked in five runs as the Angels took down the Mariners, 9-3, in the third portion of a four-game series.
Joel Pineiro (5-3) lasted seven innings, allowing three runs on 10 hits and a walk while striking out seven in the Angels 13th win in their last 16 games.
Michael Pineda (8-6) allowed a season-high seven runs on six hits and two walks while fanning seven to take the loss.
"Michael was a little out of sync. Hunter got him a couple times," said Mariners manager Eric Wedge. "This is something he can learn from."
Miguel Olivo had two hits and two RBI for Seattle, losers of four straight.
The Angels struck first with a four-run third inning. Mark Trumbo singled to lead off the frame and Hank Conger followed with a walk. Mike Trout stepped up next and laid down a bunt single for his first career hit. After Pineda fielded the bunt, his throw to first hit Trout in the back, allowing Trumbo to score and Conger to advance to third on the throwing error.
Two batters later, Hunter launched a three-run homer over the left-center field wall.
Seattle answered with a run in the fourth on back-to-back doubles by Dustin Ackley and Olivo.
The Mariners then made it a one-run game in the fifth. After two quick outs, four consecutive singles by Ichiro Suzuki, Brendan Ryan, Ackley and Olivo resulted in two runs. An Adam Kennedy walk then loaded the bases, but Pineiro ended the threat by inducing a Justin Smoak flyout to center, keeping it a 4-3 game.
The Angels took control of the game for good in the bottom half of the inning. Trout worked a one-out walk and rounded the bases on a Maicer Izturis double. Hunter came up next and smacked his second home run of the night just over the short right-field fence to give the Angels a 7-3 lead.
Vernon Wells' two-out RBI single in the seventh and Trumbo's solo shot in the eighth finalized the scoring.
"I'm happy with the way we're playing. We're swinging the bats well," said Hunter.
It was the 15th career multi-home run game for Hunter...Ackley has now hit safely in 17 of 19 games since making his major league debut on June 17...Mariners manager Eric Wedge was ejected by third base umpire Sam Holbrook in the third inning for arguing a check swing call...Angels infielder Howie Kendrick extended his hit streak to a career-high 18 games...The Angels improved to 6-0 in Pineiro's last six starts.
- SEATTLE: 3
LOS ANGELES: 9
Jul 9 11:51 PM
- Mark Trumbo lead-off Home Run (16) to left. Hank Conger due up.
Mariners 3, Angels 9 Bot 8, 0 OutsJul 9 11:35 PM
- Vernon Wells singled to right scored Maicer Izturis with two out. Runner on first and Howie Kendrick due up.
Mariners 3, Angels 8 Bot 7, 2 OutsJul 9 11:21 PM
- Torii Hunter one-out, two-run Home Run 2 (11) to right scored Maicer Izturis. Bobby Abreu due up.
Mariners 3, Angels 7 Bot 5, 1 OutJul 9 10:36 PM
- Maicer Izturis doubled to center scored Mike Trout with one out. Runner on second and Torii Hunter due up.
Mariners 3, Angels 5 Bot 5, 1 OutJul 9 10:33 PM
- Miguel Olivo singled to right scored Brendan Ryan with two out. On the play, Dustin Ackley advances to third. Runners on first and third with Adam Kennedy due up.
Mariners 3, Angels 4 Top 5, 2 OutsJul 9 10:23 PM
- Dustin Ackley singled to right scored Ichiro Suzuki with two out. On the play, Brendan Ryan advances to third. Runners on first and third with Miguel Olivo due up.
Mariners 2, Angels 4 Top 5, 2 OutsJul 9 10:22 PM
- Justin Smoak grounded out short to first. On the play, Miguel Olivo advances to third. Runner on third with two outs and Kyle Seager due up.
Mariners 1, Angels 4 Top 4, 2 OutsJul 9 10:05 PM
- Torii Hunter one-out, three-run Home Run (10) to left center scored Hank Conger and Mike Trout. Bobby Abreu due up.
Mariners 0, Angels 4 Bot 3, 1 OutJul 9 9:54 PM
- Mike Trout singled to pitcher. On the play, Hank Conger advances to third and Mark Trumbo scored on Michael Pineda's throwing error with none out. Runners on first and third with Maicer Izturis due up.
Mariners 0, Angels 1 Bot 3, 0 OutsJul 9 9:47 PM
- SEATTLE: 0
LOS ANGELES: 0
Top 1, 0 Outs
Jul 9 9:07 PM
- Angels-Rangers Preview May 23
- Athletics-Mariners Preview May 23
- Ejections aplenty for Blue Jays lately May 23
- Baseball Capsules May 22
- Perez's 5 RBIs help Weaver and Angels top Orioles 10-2 May 22
- Martin, Cano help Mariners sweep, hand Reds 7th loss in row May 22
- Mariners place Marte on 15-day DL, recall Taylor May 22
- Shoemaker strikes out 12, Angels lose 3-1 to Orioles May 22
- Wieters homers in ninth to lift Orioles past Angels, 3-1 May 22
- Orioles-Angels Preview May 22
- Baseball Capsules May 22
- Mariners-Reds Preview May 21