Wells' homer guides Mariners past A'sAug 3, 2011 - 6:14 AM
Wells' two-run shot in the sixth inning made it 4-0 and helped Seattle win consecutive games for the first time since a three-game streak from July 3-5.
"We've thrown him right in there, he's played every day so far," Mariners manager Eric Wedge said of Wells. "I don't anticipate him playing every single day, but we're going to try and get him a good amount of playing time."
Felix Hernandez (10-9) was credited with the win after holding the A's to two runs on five hits over 6 1/3 innings.
Rich Harden (2-2), who was speculated to be heading to Boston near the trade deadline, surrendered four runs on five hits in 5 2/3 innings for Oakland, which had won five of seven before losing the first two meetings of this three-game set.
"He made two mistakes and it cost him four runs, the change-up on the last pitch he threw and the ball that Carp hit to left-center field, other than that, he was terrific again," A's manager Bob Melvin said of Harden.
The only runs the A's managed came on Scott Sizemore's home run to straightaway center in the seventh. Eric Sogard singled ahead of the blast.
Oakland loaded the bases with one out in the eighth, but Jeff Gray struck out Kurt Suzuki and Sogard to keep the Mariners in front. Suzuki swung at strike three before it hit him on his right shoulder.
Brandon League hurled a 1-2-3 ninth to record his 25th save.
Mike Carp one-hopped the wall in left to plate Brendan Ryan and Dustin Ackley in the first inning.
Hernandez finished with nine strikeouts and reached double digits in wins for the fifth time in his career...Ackley posted his fifth triple in the third inning...Hideki Matsui had three of Oakland's seven hits...Wells was acquired in a trade with Detroit over the weekend.
- OAKLAND: 2
Aug 3 1:03 AM
- Scott Sizemore one-out, two-run Home Run (5) to center scored Eric Sogard. Jemile Weeks due up.
Athletics 2, Mariners 4 Top 7, 1 OutAug 3 12:19 AM
- Casper Wells two-out, two-run Home Run (5) to left scored Adam Kennedy. Franklin Gutierrez due up.
Athletics 0, Mariners 4 Bot 6, 2 OutsAug 3 12:05 AM
- Mike Carp double to left scored Brendan Ryan and Dustin Ackley with one out. Runner on second and Adam Kennedy due up.
Athletics 0, Mariners 2 Bot 1, 1 OutAug 2 10:29 PM
- OAKLAND: 0
Top 1, 0 Outs
Aug 2 10:11 PM
- Athletics-Mariners Preview May 23
- LEADING OFF: Kershaw tests streak vs Reds, Colon faces Nats May 23
- Ejections aplenty for Blue Jays lately May 23
- Baseball Capsules May 22
- Bad day gets worse for Athletics in 5-4 loss to Yankees May 22
- Pineda ends slump; Yanks top Oakland 5-4 to win 5th straight May 22
- Martin, Cano help Mariners sweep, hand Reds 7th loss in row May 22
- Gray put on DL by A's because of strained muscle May 22
- Mariners place Marte on 15-day DL, recall Taylor May 22
- Mariners-Reds Preview May 21
- Yankees-Athletics Preview May 21
- Manaea loses focus in A's 5-1 loss to Yankees May 21