Beavan shines as Mariners down AngelsAug 7, 2011 - 4:20 AM Anaheim, CA (Sports Network) - Blake Beavan threw eight innings of one-run ball to defeat fellow rookie Tyler Chatwood, as the Seattle Mariners earned a rare road win against the Angels, 5-1.
Beavan (3-2) gave up one run on eight hits and did not issue a walk in helping Seattle snap an eight-game losing streak at Angel Stadium. It was the 22-year- old righty's sixth straight quality start to begin his career.
Adam Kennedy hit a two-run double in the first inning to jump-start the win, and Trayvon Robinson posted his first career home run.
Chatwood (6-8) was charged with five runs on seven hits in 6 1/3 innings for Los Angeles, which had won three of four coming in.
Kennedy stepped to the plate with two on and two out in the first inning and drove a payoff pitch to left-center to plate Ichiro Suzuki and Dustin Ackley.
Seattle doubled the lead with two outs in the third, as Mike Carp doubled down the first-base line to knock in Jack Wilson, then scored on Miguel Olivo's base hit to right.
"Give those guys credit. They had four two-out hits," Angels manager Mike Scioscia said of the Mariners.
Robinson, in his second career game, took Chatwood into the rocks beyond the wall in left-center for his first round-tripper in the seventh.
"I couldn't believe it. I stopped at second thinking I had a double, but the ump signaled homer, and I said 'That's even sweeter,'" beamed an ecstatic Robinson, who was recalled from Triple-A Tacoma on Friday.
The only damage done against Beavan came in the bottom half when Bobby Wilson doubled off the wall in right to score Mary Trumbo.
Otherwise, Beavan was solid before leaving Brandon League to finish off the game in the ninth.
Seattle came in 2-17 in its last 19 games in Anaheim...Jered Weaver, who won the opener of this three-game series on Friday, dropped the appeal of his six- game suspension and started serving the penalty on Saturday. The Angels starter was penalized for his actions during a game against the Tigers last Sunday...The Angels went 2-for-10 with runners in scoring position...Game time: 2:33.
- SEATTLE: 5
LOS ANGELES: 1
Aug 6 11:40 PM
- Bobby Wilson doubled to right center scored Mark Trumbo. Runner on second with two outs and Maicer Izturis due up.
Mariners 5, Angels 1 Bot 7, 2 OutsAug 6 11:08 PM
- Trayvon Robinson one-out, solo Home Run (1) to left center. Ichiro Suzuki due up.
Mariners 5, Angels 0 Top 7, 1 OutAug 6 10:56 PM
- Franklin Gutierrez grounded out third to first to end the inning.
Mariners 4, Angels 0 Mid 3Aug 6 9:57 PM
- Adam Kennedy doubled to left center scored Ichiro Suzuki and Dustin Ackley. Runner on second with two outs and Miguel Olivo due up.
Mariners 2, Angels 0 Top 1, 2 OutsAug 6 9:20 PM
- SEATTLE: 0
LOS ANGELES: 0
Top 1, 0 Outs
Aug 6 9:08 PM
- Angels-Rangers Preview May 23
- Athletics-Mariners Preview May 23
- Ejections aplenty for Blue Jays lately May 23
- Baseball Capsules May 22
- Perez's 5 RBIs help Weaver and Angels top Orioles 10-2 May 22
- Martin, Cano help Mariners sweep, hand Reds 7th loss in row May 22
- Mariners place Marte on 15-day DL, recall Taylor May 22
- Shoemaker strikes out 12, Angels lose 3-1 to Orioles May 22
- Wieters homers in ninth to lift Orioles past Angels, 3-1 May 22
- Orioles-Angels Preview May 22
- Baseball Capsules May 22
- Mariners-Reds Preview May 21