Harrison strong on mound, Rangers rout M'sAug 9, 2011 - 6:15 AM
Harrison (10-8) gave up two runs on five hits in seven innings to grab the victory, striking out six without a walk. His 10 wins are a career-best.
Texas became the first team in 2011 to have five different pitchers reach the 10-win mark. It's the first time the Rangers have had five different starters with at least 10 victories (no relief wins), as Harrison joined Alexi Ogando, C.J. Wilson, Colby Lewis and Derek Holland.
"Ten wins is big for guys," Harrison said. "Normally the guys in rotations, sometimes you have injuries, sometimes they make changes. So far we've been consistent. I'm glad I'm part of the 10-win club. Hopefully we'll keep it going."
Nelson Cruz went 3-for-4 with a home run and two RBI for the AL West leaders, who won for the fourth time in five games. Yorvit Torrealba and Mitch Moreland also had three hits for the Rangers, who quickly took control against Seattle starter Charlie Furbush.
Furbush (2-4) allowed seven runs -- six earned -- on eight hits and four walks in four-plus innings.
He gave up a leadoff home run to Cruz in the second inning, throwing a slider down the middle of the plate that the Rangers slugger crushed to left-center field. That snapped an 0-for-15 drought for Cruz.
An Adam Kennedy fielding error then allowed Mike Napoli to reach base, and he scored later in the inning on a single by Moreland.
Jack Wilson's two-run double in the third pulled Seattle even, but Texas chased Furbush in the middle innings.
In the fourth, a walk and two singles loaded the bases before David Murphy and Ian Kinsler hit consecutive run-scoring fielder's choice grounders.
An inning later, two walks and a base hit filled the bases for another rally and signaled the end of Furbush's day. Jamey Wright entered and couldn't get the Mariners out of the jam.
Napoli and Torrealba hit back-to-back RBI singles to left, and Wright walked Moreland to force in another run, making it a 7-2 game.
Cruz hit an RBI double in the sixth and scored on Napoli's single, increasing Texas' lead to seven and allowing the Rangers to cruise to the victory.
"We're playing to win everyday, but it comes down to executing," Mariners first baseman Mike Carp said. "We played kind of sloppy tonight."
Texas is 9-2 against Seattle this season...The Rangers went 7-for-18 with runners in scoring position and left 11 on base...Furbush made his second start for the Mariners, who acquired him from Detroit in July...The Mariners placed shortstop Brendan Ryan on the 15-day disabled list Monday with a sprained AC joint in his left shoulder. Ryan suffered the injury when he collided with Kennedy last week, and the move is retroactive to August 4...The Mariners recalled Luis Rodriguez from Triple-A Tacoma to take Ryan's roster spot.
- SEATTLE: 2
Aug 8 10:50 PM
- Mike Napoli advances to second on a wild pitch. Runner on second with one out and Yorvit Torrealba at the plate.
Mariners 2, Rangers 9 Bot 6, 1 OutAug 8 10:12 PM
- Nelson Cruz double to center scored Josh Hamilton with one out. Runner on second and Mike Napoli due up.
Mariners 2, Rangers 8 Bot 6, 1 OutAug 8 10:08 PM
- David Murphy lined into unassisted double play, first. On the play, Mitch Moreland doubled off first. Runners on second and third with two outs and Ian Kinsler due up.
Mariners 2, Rangers 7 Bot 5, 2 OutsAug 8 9:50 PM
- Yorvit Torrealba single to left scored Michael Young with none out. On the play, Mike Napoli advances to second and Nelson Cruz advances to third. Bases loaded and Mitch Moreland due up.
Mariners 2, Rangers 6 Bot 5, 0 OutsAug 8 9:44 PM
- Mike Napoli single to left scored Josh Hamilton with none out. On the play, Nelson Cruz advances to second and Michael Young advances to third. Bases loaded and Yorvit Torrealba due up.
Mariners 2, Rangers 5 Bot 5, 0 OutsAug 8 9:43 PM
- Adam Kennedy grounded out second to first. None on with one out and Franklin Gutierrez due up.
Mariners 2, Rangers 4 Top 5, 1 OutAug 8 9:28 PM
- Jack Wilson double to left scored Franklin Gutierrez and Ichiro Suzuki with two outs. Runner on second and Dustin Ackley due up.
Mariners 2, Rangers 2 Top 3, 2 OutsAug 8 8:56 PM
- Ian Kinsler pop-fouled out to first. Runners on first and second with two outs and Elvis Andrus due up.
Mariners 0, Rangers 2 Bot 2, 2 OutsAug 8 8:41 PM
- Mike Napoli reached second on Adam Kennedy's fielding error. Runner on second with none out and Yorvit Torrealba due up.
Mariners 0, Rangers 1 Bot 2, 0 OutsAug 8 8:35 PM
- SEATTLE: 0
Top 1, 0 Outs
Aug 8 8:09 PM
- Josh Hamilton will miss all season with another knee surgery May 23
- Angels-Rangers Preview May 23
- Rangers put OF Choo back on DL after only 1 game in return May 23
- Athletics-Mariners Preview May 23
- Ejections aplenty for Blue Jays lately May 23
- Baseball Capsules May 22
- Darvish seems ready for return to Rangers after strong rehab May 22
- Odor to have appeal hearing for 8-game suspension Tuesday May 22
- Hamels fans 11, Rangers down Keuchel, Astros 9-2 for sweep May 22
- Martin, Cano help Mariners sweep, hand Reds 7th loss in row May 22
- Mariners place Marte on 15-day DL, recall Taylor May 22
- Rangers-Astros Preview May 21