Hamilton, Rangers rally late to beat MarinersAug 10, 2011 - 3:50 AM
The Rangers scored in each of their last three innings to rally from a 6-3 deficit.
Ian Kinsler hit a two-run homer in the seventh and Yorvit Torrealba smacked a game-tying RBI double in the eighth before Hamilton followed Kinsler's walk and Endy Chavez's single with a bloop hit into left-center field for the walkoff win.
Chavez hit a solo homer for the Rangers, who have won the first two games of this three-game series to improve to 10-2 against Seattle this season. Texas is 5-1 in its last six overall.
Rangers closer Neftali Feliz (2-3) pitched around a walk in the ninth for the victory, while Jeff Gray (0-1) took the loss in 1 2/3 innings. Gray walked Kinsler to start the ninth, but Aaron Laffey gave up the singles to Chavez and Hamilton.
The Mariners, who are 6-6 since their franchise-worst 17-game losing streak, spoiled a chance for Michael Pineda to earn his 10th win. The rookie right- hander went six innings in his first starts since July 30 and left with a 6-3 lead.
Kinsler launched his 17th homer of the season into the left field seats with one out in the seventh. The two-run blast chased Josh Lueke, who had relieved Pineda to start the inning and gave up a leadoff walk to Mitch Moreland.
Torrealba's doubled over Ichiro Suzuki's head in the eighth to tie the game at 6-6. The hit scored Nelson Cruz, who had worked a one-out walk off Gray and escaped a pickoff attempt when he bolted for second base and made it safely on a dropped throw.
The Rangers reinstated Alexi Ogando from the paternity leave list to make the start, but he lasted just 2 2/3 innings after giving up six runs on eight hits and two walks.
Indeed, both teams scored early and often.
Jack Wilson drew a one-out walk in the first inning and Seattle took a 1-0 lead after he went to third on Dustin Ackley's single and scored on Mike Carp's ground out. Adam Kennedy knocked in Ackley with a single to make it 2-0, but was thrown out at second base by Hamilton from left.
Texas tied the game in the bottom of the first on two big blows -- Chavez's solo homer into the right field seats and Michael Young's double off the top of the wall in right-center, which scored Hamilton after he singled.
Miguel Olivo doubled to lead off the second inning and scored later from third base when Kyle Seager grounded into a double play. Texas tied the game again at 3-3 when Moreland led off the bottom of the second with a walk and scored on Chavez's single.
The Mariners took a 6-3 lead and chased Ogando with a three-run third.
Wilson and Carp singled and scored on Kennedy's triple to the right field wall. Olivo hit a sacrifice fly to drive Kennedy in and Ogando was pulled after giving up a two-out double to Franklin Gutierrez. Yoshinori Tateyama came in to get the final out.
Ogando was placed on the paternity leave list Saturday to travel to the Dominican Republic following the birth of his child. In addition to reinstating him, the Rangers placed infielder Andres Blanco on the 15-day disabled list Tuesday with lower back inflammation...Pineda was given extra time off following his last start to limit his innings...Ogando failed to earn a decision for the first time in 12 starts.
- SEATTLE: 6
Aug 9 11:21 PM
- Josh Hamilton single to center scored Ian Kinsler with none out to end the game.
Mariners 6, Rangers 7 Bot 9, 0 OutsAug 9 11:21 PM
- Yorvit Torrealba double to right scored Nelson Cruz with two out. Runner on second and Mitch Moreland due up.
Mariners 6, Rangers 6 Bot 8, 2 OutsAug 9 10:57 PM
- Endy Chavez struck out swinging. None on with two outs and Josh Hamilton due up.
Mariners 6, Rangers 5 Bot 7, 2 OutsAug 9 10:32 PM
- Trayvon Robinson grounded out short to first to end the inning.
Mariners 6, Rangers 3 Mid 3Aug 9 9:16 PM
- Mike Carp singled to center. On the play, Jack Wilson advances to third. Runners on first and third with one out and Adam Kennedy due up.
Mariners 3, Rangers 3 Top 3, 1 OutAug 9 9:05 PM
- Ichiro Suzuki grounded out third to first to end the inning.
Mariners 3, Rangers 2 Mid 2Aug 9 8:48 PM
- Michael Young double to center scored Josh Hamilton with one out. Runner on second and Nelson Cruz due up.
Mariners 2, Rangers 2 Bot 1, 1 OutAug 9 8:26 PM
- Endy Chavez one-out, solo Home Run (5) to right. Josh Hamilton due up.
Mariners 2, Rangers 1 Bot 1, 1 OutAug 9 8:24 PM
- Adam Kennedy single to left scored Dustin Ackley. On the play, Adam Kennedy was thrown out trying to advance to second to end the inning.
Mariners 2, Rangers 0 Mid 1Aug 9 8:17 PM
- SEATTLE: 1
Top 1, 2 Outs
Aug 9 8:15 PM
- Josh Hamilton will miss all season with another knee surgery May 23
- Angels-Rangers Preview May 23
- Rangers put OF Choo back on DL after only 1 game in return May 23
- Athletics-Mariners Preview May 23
- Ejections aplenty for Blue Jays lately May 23
- Baseball Capsules May 22
- Darvish seems ready for return to Rangers after strong rehab May 22
- Odor to have appeal hearing for 8-game suspension Tuesday May 22
- Hamels fans 11, Rangers down Keuchel, Astros 9-2 for sweep May 22
- Martin, Cano help Mariners sweep, hand Reds 7th loss in row May 22
- Mariners place Marte on 15-day DL, recall Taylor May 22
- Rangers-Astros Preview May 21