Yankees get to King Felix, top MarinersSep 13, 2011 - 6:01 AM
Robinson Cano stroked a three-run double, as the Yankees widened their lead to four games over Boston in the AL East. The Yankees, who snapped a four-game skid on Sunday in Anaheim, compiled 14 hits, three from Cano.
Hughes (5-5) ended a three-game winless stretch by limiting Seattle to five hits and a run.
"I'd like to be ahead a little more and maybe get some quicker outs so I can go deep in the game, but other than that, you can't argue, especially when we get the kind of run support against Felix," Hughes said. "Coming into this game you never imagine that you're going to get six runs, you're hoping for one or two and then keep them close. That was a nice luxury to have tonight and fortunately caught some breaks there in the middle innings and kept them off the scoreboard."
Hernandez (14-12), who had won his previous three starts, was charged with nine hits and six runs over six innings. He entered the night with a five-game winning streak vs. the Yankees, the longest ever by a Mariners pitcher.
"It looked like he just kept missing out over the plate a little bit," Mariners manager Eric Wedge said. "His stuff was good, they just started rolling it, one after the other in that fourth inning."
Miguel Olivo clubbed a two-run homer in the opener of this three-game series, but the Mariners fell to 3-9 this month.
Brett Gardner scored on Derek Jeter's groundout in the third, but the Mariners tied it when Ichiro Suzuki lined a single to right-center field to drive in Brendan Ryan.
The Yankees then took command in the fourth against Hernandez, who had a 1.29 ERA over his previous six starts vs. New York. Teixeira homered to right on an 0-1 pitch. Cano doubled and Nick Swisher singled before Eric Chavez lifted a sacrifice fly to center field. Gardner then smacked an RBI double to left field before Dickerson clubbed a first offering over the wall in right. Dickerson, who was recalled from Triple-A Scranton/Wilkes-Barre prior to a September 1 win at Boston, hit his first homer of the year.
The 6-1 cushion was plenty of support for Hughes, who escaped a bases-loaded jam in the sixth when he retired Olivo on a pop-out and got Trayvon Robinson on a fly ball to center.
Cano's double to left in the seventh plated Austin Romine, Jeter and Curtis Granderson.
Olivo homered to left of Scott Proctor in the eighth.
Before the game, the mariners promoted Roger Hansen to special assistant to general manager Jack Zduriencik...Hernandez fell to 6-4 in his career vs. the Yankees...Granderson has a major league-leading 128 runs scored...Romine recorded his first big league hit with a single in the seventh...Hughes is now 3-0 with a 1.80 ERA with 11 strikeouts in four career appearances at Safeco Field...Hernandez had not lost against the Yankees at Safeco Field since August 23, 2006.
- NEW YORK: 9
Sep 13 1:00 AM
- Trayvon Robinson struck out looking to end the inning.
Yankees 9, Mariners 3 End 8Sep 13 12:46 AM
- Robinson Cano double to left scored Austin Romine, Derek Jeter and Curtis Granderson with one out. On the play, Robinson Cano advanced to third on the throw. Runner on third and Nick Swisher due up.
Yankees 9, Mariners 1 Top 7, 1 OutSep 13 12:18 AM
- Chris Dickerson one-out, two-run Home Run (1) to right scored Brett Gardner. Austin Romine due up.
Yankees 6, Mariners 1 Top 4, 1 OutSep 12 11:12 PM
- Brett Gardner double to left scored Nick Swisher with one out. Runner on second and Chris Dickerson due up.
Yankees 4, Mariners 1 Top 4, 1 OutSep 12 11:11 PM
- Eric Chavez sacrifice fly out to center scored Robinson Cano with one out. On the play, Nick Swisher advanced to second. Runner on second and Brett Gardner due up.
Yankees 3, Mariners 1 Top 4, 1 OutSep 12 11:07 PM
- Mark Teixeira lead-off Home Run (37) to right. Robinson Cano due up.
Yankees 2, Mariners 1 Top 4, 0 OutsSep 12 11:03 PM
- Ichiro Suzuki single to right scored Brendan Ryan with two out. Runner on first and Kyle Seager due up.
Yankees 1, Mariners 1 Bot 3, 2 OutsSep 12 10:57 PM
- Curtis Granderson grounded out second to first to end the inning.
Yankees 1, Mariners 0 Mid 3Sep 12 10:44 PM
- NEW YORK: 0
Top 1, 0 Outs
Sep 12 10:10 PM
- Blue Jays-Yankees Preview May 23
- Athletics-Mariners Preview May 23
- Ejections aplenty for Blue Jays lately May 23
- Baseball Capsules May 22
- Bad day gets worse for Athletics in 5-4 loss to Yankees May 22
- Pineda ends slump; Yanks top Oakland 5-4 to win 5th straight May 22
- Martin, Cano help Mariners sweep, hand Reds 7th loss in row May 22
- Gray put on DL by A's because of strained muscle May 22
- Mariners place Marte on 15-day DL, recall Taylor May 22
- Mariners-Reds Preview May 21
- Yankees-Athletics Preview May 21
- Manaea loses focus in A's 5-1 loss to Yankees May 21