Twins snap skid against MarinersSep 22, 2011 - 9:48 PM
Trevor Plouffe worked a two-out walk against Steve Delabar (1-1), and raced home when Tosoni crushed a ball to the gap in right-center which took one bounce and rebounded off the scoreboard.
"Today was a tough one of course. We were rolling the last few games and I got in a situation where I put a guy on for free and I left a ball out there and the other guy hit it where he was supposed to," offered Delabar.
Drew Butera knocked in the other run for the Twins, who salvaged a game in the series and won for the first time since beating the White Sox on September 7.
Joe Nathan (2-1) turned in a scoreless top of the ninth.
Justin Smoak collected three hits and an RBI for the Mariners, whose three- game win streak came to a halt. Ichiro Suzuki singled, scored a run and also knocked in one.
Suzuki began the game with a single, moved to second on a two-out hit from Mike Carp and scored when Smoak followed with a single.
It was 2-0 for Seattle in the second as Chris Gimenez hit a one-out single, moved to third on an infield hit from Michael Saunders and crossed the plate on a Suzuki sacrifice fly.
Tosoni began the Minnesota third with a single and took second on an error, then scored two batters later when Butera grounded into a double play.
Tosoni doubled with one down in the fifth and scored on Butera's game-tying two-out single.
Glen Perkins loaded the bases in the top of the eighth on a pair of singles and a walk, but avoided trouble by inducing an inning-ending groundout from Suzuki.
Michael Cuddyer hit into a rally-killing double play with runners on the corners in the home half.
"They left a lot of guys on base. We had some opportunities, too, but didn't cash in until the end," said Tosoni.
The 11-game losing skid was third-longest in Twins franchise history, after a 13-game streak in 1961 and a 14-game slide from May 19-June 2, 1982...Twins starter Anthony Swarzak allowed nine hits and two runs over six inning, and his Seattle counterpart Blake Beavan lasted seven full frames, giving up two runs on six hits while fanning four...Mariners shortstop Luis Rodriguez left the game in the bottom of the ninth inning with an apparent wrist injury, suffered when Twins infielder Danny Valencia's spikes caught his hand on a stolen-base attempt.
- SEATTLE: 2
Sep 22 4:12 PM
- Drew Butera singled to left scored Rene Tosoni. Runner on first with two outs and Ben Revere due up.
Mariners 2, Twins 2 Bot 5, 2 OutsSep 22 2:40 PM
- Drew Butera grounded into a double play, second to short to first scored Rene Tosoni. Joe Benson out at second. None on with two outs and Ben Revere due up.
Mariners 2, Twins 1 Bot 3, 2 OutsSep 22 2:01 PM
- Ichiro Suzuki sacrifice fly to right scored Chris Gimenez. Runner on first with two outs and Luis Rodriguez due up.
Mariners 2, Twins 0 Top 2, 2 OutsSep 22 1:36 PM
- Justin Smoak singled to center scored Ichiro Suzuki. On the play, Mike Carp advances to third. Runners on first and third with two outs and Kyle Seager due up.
Mariners 1, Twins 0 Top 1, 2 OutsSep 22 1:22 PM
- SEATTLE: 0
Top 1, 0 Outs
Sep 22 1:11 PM
- Athletics-Mariners Preview May 23
- Ejections aplenty for Blue Jays lately May 23
- Baseball Capsules May 22
- Royals-Twins Preview May 22
- Ventura steps up, but Royals fall short, 3-2 May 22
- Hughes drops to 1-7 as Twins lose to Blue Jays 3-1 May 22
- Bautista, Donaldson homers propel Blue Jays over Twins 3-1 May 22
- Martin, Cano help Mariners sweep, hand Reds 7th loss in row May 22
- Blue Jays manager Gibbons ejected for 4th time this season May 22
- Perkins slowing down rehab in return from shoulder strain May 22
- Mariners place Marte on 15-day DL, recall Taylor May 22
- Mariners-Reds Preview May 21