Mets top Marlins in 10 inningsApr 3, 2011 - 4:13 AM
David Wright had an RBI single in the 10th for the Mets. The Marlins came back to get a run in the ninth on Brett Hayes' two-out single, but Blaine Boyer got Scott Cousins on a ground out to earn the save.
Six of the game's 10 runs were scored after the eighth inning, with both teams getting one in the ninth.
Mets closer Francisco Rodriguez (1-0) got the win despite giving up the game- tying run on Greg Dobbs' RBI single in the bottom of the ninth. Wright ended with three hits, including a solo homer, while Josh Thole was 3-for-4 with a go-ahead RBI single in the ninth.
Wright lined his third hit of the game past Ryan Webb (0-1) and into center field, scoring Jose Reyes for a 4-3 lead in the 10th. Reyes, Angel Pagan and Wright led off the inning with consecutive singles and Harris' double knocked in the other two runners.
"A win's a win," said Wright, "but at the same time I think the way we won is important."
Gaby Sanchez doubled with one out in the bottom of the 10th and scored on Hayes' single to right field, but the Marlins couldn't rally further.
"We had our chances to score more runs with the right guys at the plate, but it didn't happen," said Marlins manager Edwin Rodriguez. "Those are the games that we have to win."
Sunday's rubber match will pit New York's R.A. Dickey against Florida's Javier Vazquez. In the season-opener on Friday, Josh Johnson carried a no-hitter into the seventh inning to lead the Marlins to a 6-2 victory.
Florida got another good start Saturday from Ricky Nolasco, who went seven innings and yielded two runs on seven hits with four strikeouts. Mets starter Jon Niese also gave up two runs in seven frames, allowing four hits and a walk while striking out three.
The Marlins jumped on Niese for three of those hits and both runs in the first inning. Logan Morrison scored both runners with a single up the middle to make it 2-0.
But Florida didn't score again until the ninth, while the Mets rallied to tie it.
Wright led off the fourth inning with an opposite-field homer into the right field seats, his first of the season, and Ike Davis doubled home Carlos Beltran with two outs in the sixth to make it 2-2.
Later, Davis walked to lead off the top of the ninth and pinch-runner Chin- lung Hu advanced to third on a pair of groundouts -- Lucas Duda's topper that Marlins pitcher Leo Nunez fielded near the first base line, and Brad Emaus' routine grounder to short.
Thole then lined a single into left field, scoring Hu easily to give the Mets a 3-2 lead.
But the Marlins came back to tie the game in the bottom of the ninth. John Buck, who hit a grand slam in Friday's victory, reached on a one-out single and pinch runner Hayes later scored after back-to-back two-out singles by Emilio Bonifacio Dobbs.
The Mets snapped a seven-game losing streak to the Marlins in Florida...New York out-hit Florida 13-9.
- NEW YORK: 6
Apr 2 10:16 PM
- Willie Harris doubled to right scored Angel Pagan and David Wright with two out. Runner on second and Francisco Rodriguez due up.
Mets 6, Marlins 3 Top 10, 2 OutsApr 2 10:00 PM
- David Wright singled to center scored Jose Reyes with none out. Runners on first and second with Carlos Beltran due up.
Mets 4, Marlins 3 Top 10, 0 OutsApr 2 9:49 PM
- Pinch-Hitter Greg Dobbs singled to center scored Brett Hayes. Runners on first and third with two outs and Chris Coghlan due up.
Mets 3, Marlins 3 Bot 9, 2 OutsApr 2 9:36 PM
- Willie Harris replaces Lucas Duda playing left field, batting sixth.
Mets 3, Marlins 2 Bot 9, 0 OutsApr 2 9:27 PM
- Ike Davis doubled to right center scored Carlos Beltran with two outs. Runner on second with Lucas Duda due up.
Mets 2, Marlins 2 Top 6, 2 OutsApr 2 8:32 PM
- David Wright lead-off Home Run (1) to right. Carlos Beltran due up.
Mets 1, Marlins 2 Top 4, 0 OutsApr 2 7:56 PM
- Logan Morrison singled to center scored Omar Infante and Hanley Ramirez with one out. Runners on first and second with John Buck due up.
Mets 0, Marlins 2 Bot 1, 1 OutApr 2 7:24 PM
- Jose Reyes grounded out third to first. None on with one out and Angel Pagan due up.
Apr 2 7:11 PM
- Mets' Duda out long term with stress fracture in lower back May 23
- Rays-Marlins Preview May 23
- Mets-Nationals Preview May 23
- LEADING OFF: Kershaw tests streak vs Reds, Colon faces Nats May 23
- Baseball Capsules May 22
- Syndergaard Ks 11, Conforto homers as Mets sweep Brewers May 22
- Archer hit hard as Rays fall 9-4 to Tigers May 22
- Signs of progress for Stanton in Marlins' 8-2 loss to Nats May 22
- Scherzer pitches 8 innings to help Nats beat Marlins 8-2 May 22
- Braun back in Brewers' lineup vs Mets after missing 4 games May 22
- Nationals-Marlins Preview May 22
- Nats' 9th-inning rally comes up short in 3-2 loss at Miami May 21