Tulowitzki helps Colorado edge MetsApr 14, 2011 - 7:25 AM
Ryan Spilborghs hit a solo homer while Todd Helton added an RBI for the Rockies, who have taken the first two in the series.
Esmil Rogers (2-0) allowed seven hits and three runs while walking four over 5 2/3 innings for the win. Huston Street posted a scoreless ninth for his sixth save.
Carlos Beltran and Angel Pagan each posted two hits and drove in a run for the Mets, who have lost six of seven.
Jon Niese (0-2) was charged in defeat for seven hits and five runs over six full frames.
"I made two or three mistakes that I paid for. They punished me for them," Niese said.
Daniel Murphy's run-scoring double in the fourth put the Mets ahead by a 3-1 count, but Seth Smith walked with one out and Jonathan Herrera followed with a single ahead of Tulowitzki's blast that gave the Rockies the lead to stay.
Spilborghs provided insurance with a solo shot in the sixth, and New York didn't have an answer until the seventh when David Wright and Beltran singled to put runners on the corners, and two batters later Pagan's fly to left made it 5-4.
Street locked down the victory by retiring the Mets in order in the ninth.
"We're a good team," Tulowitzki said. "Even when we're down we think we're going to find a way to come back and get a win."
Beltran's RBI double in the first got the Mets on the board, and Rogers' wild pitch with runners on second and third in the second inning plated Pagan with New York's second run.
Helton drove in Tulowitzki with a one-out base hit in the fourth.
The series will conclude on Thursday with a doubleheader...Colorado has won three of the last four meetings overall...Prior to the game, the Mets announced that starter Chris Young will be held out until Sunday after tendinitis was discovered in his surgically-repaired right arm.
- COLORADO: 5
NEW YORK: 4
Apr 13 10:05 PM
- Angel Pagan sacrifice fly out to left scored David Wright. Runner on first with two outs and Willie Harris due up.
Rockies 5, Mets 4 Bot 7, 2 OutsApr 13 9:28 PM
- Ryan Spilborghs one-out, solo Home Run (1) to left center. Chris Iannetta due up.
Rockies 5, Mets 3 Top 6, 1 OutApr 13 8:54 PM
- Troy Tulowitzki two-out, three-run Home Run (5) to right scored Seth Smith and Jonathan Herrera. Jose Lopez due up.
Rockies 4, Mets 3 Top 5, 2 OutsApr 13 8:39 PM
- Daniel Murphy doubled to right scoring Jose Reyes. Runner on second with two outs and David Wright due up.
Rockies 1, Mets 3 Bot 4, 2 OutsApr 13 8:28 PM
- Todd Helton singled to center scoring Troy Tulowitzki. Runner on first with one out and Ryan Spilborghs due up.
Rockies 1, Mets 2 Top 4, 1 OutApr 13 8:18 PM
- Esmil Rogers' wild pitch scored Angel Pagan. Willie Harris advances to third on a wild pitch. Runner on third with two outs and Jose Reyes at the plate.
Rockies 0, Mets 2 Bot 2, 2 OutsApr 13 7:49 PM
- Ike Davis flied out to left to end the inning.
Rockies 0, Mets 1 End 1Apr 13 7:25 PM
- COLORADO: 0
NEW YORK: 0
Top 1, 1 Out
Apr 13 7:13 PM
- Mets' Duda out long term with stress fracture in lower back May 23
- Mets-Nationals Preview May 23
- Ventura: Relievers, media pose threats to Bradley's streak May 23
- Pirates' Vogelsong hit in head by pitch, leaves game May 23
- LEADING OFF: Kershaw tests streak vs Reds, Colon faces Nats May 23
- Baseball Capsules May 22
- Rockies-Pirates postponed after 1 inning; makeup on Monday May 22
- Syndergaard Ks 11, Conforto homers as Mets sweep Brewers May 22
- Signs of progress for Stanton in Marlins' 8-2 loss to Nats May 22
- Braun back in Brewers' lineup vs Mets after missing 4 games May 22
- Brewers-Mets Preview May 21
- Rockies-Pirates Preview May 21