Rockies hold on, edge Mets in start of doubleheaderApr 14, 2011 - 8:13 PM
Jose Morales added a two-run double for Colorado, which has taken the first three in the four-game series and will go for its first-ever four-game sweep against the Mets in Game 2. The twinbill was made necessary due to Tuesday's rainout.
The Rockies have won five straight overall and improved to 9-2 on the young season.
Greg Reynolds (1-0) went five innings, allowing two runs on five hits and a pair of walks, and struck out a batter. Matt Lindstrom took over for a struggling Huston Street in the ninth and picked up his second save of the season.
Scott Hairston hit a two-run homer in the ninth and knocked in three for the Mets, who have dropped four straight and seven of eight. Jose Reyes extended his hitting streak to 11 games with a double and solo homer in defeat.
R.A. Dickey (1-2) worked 6 1/3 innings. The knuckleballer was roughed up for five runs on eight hits and four walks, and fanned four.
With the Mets trailing 6-3, Street came on to work the ninth and retired the first batter, then issued a walk to Willie Harris before Hairston hit a towering two-run shot to left.
Josh Thole singled and pinch-hitter Carlos Beltran followed with a base hit, chasing Street from the game. Chin-Lung Hu came in to pinch-run for Thole at second and Lindstrom took over on the hill.
Reyes bounced into a fielder's choice, leaving runners on the corners with two outs. Reyes then stole second and Daniel Murphy walked to load the bases, but David Wright flied out to deep right on a 3-2 fastball to end the game.
Angel Pagan's sacrifice fly and a run-scoring single by Hairston in the fourth gave the Mets the early lead.
Seth Smith's RBI groundout in the fifth got the Rockies on the board, and they went in front in the sixth.
With runners on the corners and two outs, Morales doubled over Hairston's head in right field to bring in both and give Colorado a 3-2 lead.
Franklin Morales took over for Reynolds in the home sixth and retired the first two batters before Harris reached on an infield single. In the process, Morales rolled his ankle while covering first base and was lifted in favor of Matt Belisle. Harris was caught stealing to end the inning.
Smith doubled with one out in the seventh and was able to advance to third on an error. He crossed the plate when Gonzalez followed by depositing a 2-2 knuckleball into the right-field seats to put the Rockies up 5-2. Bobby Parnell came in for Dickey and Tulowitzki greeted the right-hander with a solo homer to left.
Reyes' leadoff shot to right in the eighth made it 6-3.
Following the game, Greg Reynolds was optioned to Triple-A Colorado Springs; the Rockies also purchased the contract of pitcher Alan Johnson and transferred pitcher Aaron Cook from the 15-day disabled list to the 60-day DL...In Game 2, Jorge De La Rosa (1-0, 1.74) will get the starting nod for Colorado, while Chris Capuano (1-0, 6.75) goes for the Mets...The clubs split six meetings a season ago, with the Mets winning two of three at home...The Rockies have won their last four games by one run.
- COLORADO: 6
NEW YORK: 5
Apr 14 3:35 PM
- Scott Hairston one-out, two-run Home Run (1) to left scored Willie Harris. Josh Thole due up.
Rockies 6, Mets 5 Bot 9, 1 OutApr 14 3:18 PM
- Jose Reyes lead-off Home Run (1) to right. Daniel Murphy due up.
Rockies 6, Mets 3 Bot 8, 0 OutsApr 14 2:49 PM
- Troy Tulowitzki one-out, solo Home Run (6) to left. Jason Giambi due up.
Rockies 6, Mets 2 Top 7, 1 OutApr 14 2:26 PM
- Carlos Gonzalez one-out, two-run Home Run (1) to right scored Seth Smith. Troy Tulowitzki due up.
Rockies 5, Mets 2 Top 7, 1 OutApr 14 2:21 PM
- Jose Morales double to right scored Jason Giambi and Ian Stewart with two out. Runner on second and Greg Reynolds due up.
Rockies 3, Mets 2 Top 6, 2 OutsApr 14 1:59 PM
- Seth Smith grounded out second to first scoring Jose Morales with two out. Runner on third and Carlos Gonzalez due up.
Rockies 1, Mets 2 Top 5, 2 OutsApr 14 1:38 PM
- Scott Hairston single to right scored Ike Davis with two out. Runner on first and Josh Thole due up.
Rockies 0, Mets 2 Bot 4, 2 OutsApr 14 1:27 PM
- Angel Pagan sacrifice fly to center scored David Wright with one out. Runner on first and Willie Harris due up.
Rockies 0, Mets 1 Bot 4, 1 OutApr 14 1:23 PM
- COLORADO: 0
NEW YORK: 0
Top 1, 1 Out
Apr 14 12:13 PM
- Mets' Duda out long term with stress fracture in lower back May 23
- Mets-Nationals Preview May 23
- Ventura: Relievers, media pose threats to Bradley's streak May 23
- Pirates' Vogelsong hit in head by pitch, leaves game May 23
- LEADING OFF: Kershaw tests streak vs Reds, Colon faces Nats May 23
- Baseball Capsules May 22
- Rockies-Pirates postponed after 1 inning; makeup on Monday May 22
- Syndergaard Ks 11, Conforto homers as Mets sweep Brewers May 22
- Signs of progress for Stanton in Marlins' 8-2 loss to Nats May 22
- Braun back in Brewers' lineup vs Mets after missing 4 games May 22
- Brewers-Mets Preview May 21
- Rockies-Pirates Preview May 21