Capuano, Mets beat Astros to avoid sweepApr 22, 2011 - 7:02 AM
Capuano (2-1) gave up one run on six hits with two walks and four strikeouts while Ike Davis and Mike Nickeas each hit solo shots for the Mets, who avoided the sweep.
"It was good to get a win," Wright said.
J.A. Happ (1-3) was tagged for six runs on six hits with a walk and five strikeouts over 4 2/3 innings for the Astros, who had won three of four coming in. Matt Downs drove in the lone run.
Nickeas' solo homer in the third got the Mets on the board and the team plated three more in the fourth.
With one out, Wright laced a pitch over the wall in left-center. Carlos Beltran then hit a single and Jason Bay followed with a ground-rule double. A wild pitch from Happ plated Beltran and Davis followed with a sac fly for a 4-0 lead.
In the fifth, Capuano doubled and Jose Reyes drew a walk before Wright punched a double to center to chase home both runners for a 6-0 lead.
The Astros got on the board in the seventh on a leadoff double from Brett Wallace followed by a single from Downs to make it a 6-1 game. However, the damage was limited as Humberto Quintero hit into a double play and Jason Bourgeois flied out to end the inning.
The ninth saw the Mets added three more runs. With two outs and Wright on first, Bay hit a fly ball to right field that Hunter Pence misplayed, allowing Wright and Bay to come home. Davis followed with a solo homer for a 9-1 lead.
Taylor Buchholz pitched the final two innings and finished the game by setting the Astros down in order in the ninth.
"We try to separate all the games," Astros manager Brad Mills said. "There's still some things where we'd like to have a little better at-bats and try to put some more runs on the board. We'll go back and we'll look at some things and move on."
Houston plays a three-game set in Milwaukee starting on Friday...New York hosts Arizona for three games beginning on Friday...The Mets won four of the seven games against Houston last season.
- HOUSTON: 1
NEW YORK: 9
Apr 21 9:54 PM
- Ike Davis two-out, solo Home Run (2) to center. Justin Turner due up.
Astros 1, Mets 9 Bot 8, 2 OutsApr 21 9:46 PM
- Hunter Pence's missed catch error scored Jason Bay and David Wright None on with two outs and Ike Davis due up.
Astros 1, Mets 8 Bot 8, 2 OutsApr 21 9:45 PM
- Matt Downs singled to left scoring Brett Wallace. Runner on first with none out and Humberto Quintero due up.
Astros 1, Mets 6 Top 7, 0 OutsApr 21 9:16 PM
- David Wright doubled to center scoring Chris Capuano and Jose Reyes. Runner on second with two outs and Carlos Beltran due up.
Astros 0, Mets 6 Bot 5, 2 OutsApr 21 8:48 PM
- Ike Davis sacrifice fly out to left scored Jason Bay. None on with two outs and Justin Turner due up.
Astros 0, Mets 4 Bot 4, 2 OutsApr 21 8:26 PM
- J.A. Happ's wild pitch scored Carlos Beltran. Jason Bay advances to third on a wild pitch. Runner on third with one out and Ike Davis at the plate.
Astros 0, Mets 3 Bot 4, 1 OutApr 21 8:25 PM
- Carlos Beltran singled to center. Runner on first with one out and Jason Bay due up.
Astros 0, Mets 2 Bot 4, 1 OutApr 21 8:22 PM
- Mike Nickeas one-out, solo Home Run (1) to left. Chris Capuano due up.
Astros 0, Mets 1 Bot 3, 1 OutApr 21 7:57 PM
- HOUSTON: 0
NEW YORK: 0
Top 1, 0 Outs
Apr 21 7:13 PM
- Mets' Duda out long term with stress fracture in lower back May 23
- Orioles-Astros Preview May 23
- Mets-Nationals Preview May 23
- LEADING OFF: Kershaw tests streak vs Reds, Colon faces Nats May 23
- Baseball Capsules May 22
- Syndergaard Ks 11, Conforto homers as Mets sweep Brewers May 22
- Hamels fans 11, Rangers down Keuchel, Astros 9-2 for sweep May 22
- Signs of progress for Stanton in Marlins' 8-2 loss to Nats May 22
- Braun back in Brewers' lineup vs Mets after missing 4 games May 22
- Rangers-Astros Preview May 21
- Brewers-Mets Preview May 21
- Andrus, Ramos lead Rangers over Astros 2-1 May 21