Nationals halt Mets' streak at sixApr 29, 2011 - 5:37 AM Washington, DC (Sports Network) - Livan Hernandez threw eight strong innings to lead the Nationals over the Mets, 4-3, salvaging the finale of a three-game series.
Hernandez (3-2) allowed three runs -- two earned -- on seven hits and a walk while striking out five. He also had an RBI and a run scored.
Ian Desmond went 2-for-4 with a triple and a homer for Washington, which had dropped three straight and six of its previous seven games.
"It's nice to be back. Watching the team the last two days, it seemed like they needed a little spark. I came here hoping to do that, and I did," said Desmond.
Chris Capuano (2-2) took the loss, lasting 5 2/3 innings and allowing four runs on 10 hits while striking out two to snap the Mets' six-game winning streak.
Jayson Werth got the scoring started in the third with a ground-rule double that brought home Hernandez, who singled and moved to second on Rick Ankiel's base hit to give Washington the lead.
Consecutive groundouts by Daniel Murphy and David Wright scored Jose Reyes from third after Reyes led off the fourth with a double.
The Nationals took the lead right back in their half when Jerry Hairston Jr. singled to score Desmond after Desmond's one-out triple. Hairston then moved to third on an Ivan Rodriguez single. Hernandez followed with a bunt that was grabbed by catcher Josh Thole, who failed to place the tag on Hairston as he crossed the plate.
New York loaded the bases in the fifth with one out after back-to-back singles by Ike Davis and Thole and an error by Rodriguez on a bunt by Capuano. Reyes followed with a sac fly to center that brought home Davis and made the score 3-2.
The scoring continued in the bottom of the fifth when Desmond hit a two-out home run over the left-center field wall to extend the Nats' lead to two runs.
The Mets got back to within a run in the sixth when Davis doubled to score Carlos Beltran, but that was the last of the offense they could muster against Hernandez.
Drew Storen entered the game in the ninth and got two quick outs before allowing a single to Thole. Chin-Lung Hu replaced Thole as a pinch-runner and stole second to get the tying run in scoring position, but Willie Harris struck out to end the game and give Storen his fourth save of the year.
"We had our chances, and 'Cap' kept giving us a shot to win the ball game, and it was one of those things where the timely hit was off," Thole admitted.
Davis extended his hit streak to 10 games...New York went 1-for-7 with runners in scoring position and left five men on base...Hernandez only threw 66 of his 105 pitches for strikes.
- NEW YORK: 3
Apr 28 9:37 PM
- Ike Davis doubled to right scored Carlos Beltran. Runner on second with two outs and Josh Thole due up.
Mets 3, Nationals 4 Top 6, 2 OutsApr 28 8:47 PM
- Ian Desmond two-out, solo Home Run (3) to left. Jerry Hairston Jr. due up.
Mets 2, Nationals 4 Bot 5, 2 OutsApr 28 8:39 PM
- Jose Reyes sacrifice fly out to center scored Ike Davis. Runners on first and third with two outs and Daniel Murphy due up.
Mets 2, Nationals 3 Top 5, 2 OutsApr 28 8:31 PM
- Livan Hernandez grounded into a fielder's choice scored Jerry Hairston Jr.. Runners on first and second with one out and Danny Espinosa due up.
Mets 1, Nationals 3 Bot 4, 1 OutApr 28 8:17 PM
- Jerry Hairston Jr. singled to center scored Ian Desmond. Runner on first with one out and Ivan Rodriguez due up.
Mets 1, Nationals 2 Bot 4, 1 OutApr 28 8:12 PM
- David Wright grounded out to first scored Jose Reyes. None on with two outs and Carlos Beltran due up.
Mets 1, Nationals 1 Top 4, 2 OutsApr 28 8:03 PM
- Jayson Werth ground-rule doubled to right scored Livan Hernandez. Runners on second and third with two outs and Adam LaRoche due up.
Mets 0, Nationals 1 Bot 3, 2 OutsApr 28 7:55 PM
- NEW YORK: 0
Top 1, 0 Outs
Apr 28 7:08 PM
- Mets' Duda out long term with stress fracture in lower back May 23
- Mets-Nationals Preview May 23
- LEADING OFF: Kershaw tests streak vs Reds, Colon faces Nats May 23
- Baseball Capsules May 22
- Syndergaard Ks 11, Conforto homers as Mets sweep Brewers May 22
- Signs of progress for Stanton in Marlins' 8-2 loss to Nats May 22
- Scherzer pitches 8 innings to help Nats beat Marlins 8-2 May 22
- Braun back in Brewers' lineup vs Mets after missing 4 games May 22
- Nationals-Marlins Preview May 22
- Nats' 9th-inning rally comes up short in 3-2 loss at Miami May 21
- Jose Fernandez pitches Marlins past Nationals 3-2 May 21
- Brewers-Mets Preview May 21