Ethier leads Dodgers over MetsMay 8, 2011 - 11:24 PM Flushing, NY (Sports Network) - Andre Ethier started a new hitting streak on Sunday afternoon, going 2-for-4 with a two-run homer to help the Los Angeles Dodgers beat the New York Mets, 4-2, in the finale of a three-game series.
Ethier's 30-game hitting streak, the second-longest in Dodger history, came to an end during Saturday night's 4-2 setback.
Rod Barajas and Aaron Miles each drove in a run for Los Angeles, which avoided being swept in three games at Citi Field for a second straight season. Jamey Carroll went 3-for-5 with a run scored.
Clayton Kershaw (4-3) was solid over 6 2/3 innings, allowing one run on six hits. The left-hander also struck out eight and walked three to pick up the win for Los Angeles, which snapped a four-game skid. Kershaw improved to 3-0 lifetime against New York.
"It wasn't great, but I got the job done," Kershaw said.
Ronny Paulino and Jose Reyes each drove in a run for the Mets, who had a three-game winning streak snapped.
R.A. Dickey (1-4) gave up four runs -- three earned -- on 10 hits over seven full frames to suffer the loss.
"I have to always weigh the ways I'm giving up runs, and I can't be too disappointed," Dickey said. "I had a fairly good knuckleball today, and I kept us in it against one of the best pitchers in the National League."
The Mets got on the board in the first inning. Justin Turner and David Wright worked consecutive one-out walks. After Jason Bay went down looking, Paulino hit an RBI single to left-center field.
Los Angeles tied the game in the third. Kershaw was hit by a pitch, moved to second on a passed ball, advanced to third on a groundout and crossed the plate on Miles' base hit.
The Dodgers tacked on another run in the fourth for a 2-1 edge. James Loney and Jerry Sands hit back-to-back one-out singles to put men on the corners. Barajas then grounded into a fielder's choice to plate a run.
LA had a chance to break the game open in the fifth. Dickey gave up three straight singles to load the bases with nobody out. Matt Kemp then hit a dribbler back to Dickey, which resulted in a 1-2-3 double play. Juan Uribe grounded out to keep it a 2-1 game.
Ethier helped the Dodgers create some distance in the seventh. Carroll led off with a single and scored two batters on Ethier's homer to right for a 4-1 edge.
Kershaw was taken out of the game in the home seventh with men on the corners and two outs. Kenley Jansen walked Wright to load the bases, but Bay flied out to end the inning.
Vicente Padilla recorded his second save of the season despite giving up an RBI triple to Reyes in the ninth.
The Dodgers dropped three straight at Flushing from April 27-28 of last year...The Mets placed starting pitcher Chris Young on the 15-day disabled list. New York called up pitcher Pat Misch from Triple-A Buffalo to fill the roster spot.
- LOS ANGELES: 4
NEW YORK: 2
May 8 4:09 PM
- Carlos Beltran is a pinch-hitter for Justin Turner.
Dodgers 4, Mets 2 Bot 9, 1 OutMay 8 4:06 PM
- Andre Ethier one-out, two-run Home Run (4) to right scored Jamey Carroll. Matt Kemp is due up.
Dodgers 4, Mets 1 Top 7, 1 OutMay 8 3:09 PM
- Rod Barajas's fielder's choice from third to second scored James Loney. Jerry Sands out at second. Runner on first with two outs and Clayton Kershaw due up.
Dodgers 2, Mets 1 Top 4, 2 OutsMay 8 2:19 PM
- Aaron Miles singled to right scoring Clayton Kershaw. Runner on first with one out and Andre Ethier due up.
Dodgers 1, Mets 1 Top 3, 1 OutMay 8 1:58 PM
- Ronny Paulino singled to left-center scoring Justin Turner. On the play, David Wright advances to third. Runners on first and third with two outs and Ike Davis due up.
Dodgers 0, Mets 1 Bot 1, 2 OutsMay 8 1:32 PM
- LOS ANGELES: 0
NEW YORK: 0
Top 1, 0 Outs
May 8 1:13 PM
- Mets' Duda out long term with stress fracture in lower back May 23
- Mets-Nationals Preview May 23
- LEADING OFF: Kershaw tests streak vs Reds, Colon faces Nats May 23
- Reds-Dodgers Preview May 23
- Cubs slowed again by Bumgarner, Giants in 1-0 loss May 23
- Rookie Perdomo tough-luck loser in 9-5 defeat to Dodgers May 22
- Puig's 2-run single in 17th leads Dodgers over Padres, 9-5 May 22
- Baseball Capsules May 22
- Syndergaard Ks 11, Conforto homers as Mets sweep Brewers May 22
- Plate umpire Rackley leaves after getting hit by foul bunt May 22
- Signs of progress for Stanton in Marlins' 8-2 loss to Nats May 22
- Braun back in Brewers' lineup vs Mets after missing 4 games May 22