Iannetta's homer lifts Rockies over MetsMay 10, 2011 - 6:26 AM
Iannetta went 2-for-3 with two runs scored for the Rockies, who snapped a four-game skid. Dexter Fowler drove in the other run for the victors.
"It's good cause that's what you wanna do when you're out there," said Iannetta. "But over the course of the season you're going to have a bunch of different guys who carry the team."
Jhoulys Chacin pitched six solid innings, allowing one unearned run on two hits. He also walked six and struck out five. Matt Belisle (3-2) recorded the final two outs in the seventh to pick up the win.
Jason Bay drove in the lone run for the Mets, who have lost two in a row since a three-game winning streak.
Chris Capuano (2-4) allowed two runs on five hits over 6 2/3 innings to suffer the loss.
"I'm just disappointed cause I felt like I gave that one away," said Capuano. "I was just making too many mental mistakes out there."
Both teams stranded the bases loaded in the early going. The Rockies loaded the bases with one out in the first inning. Todd Helton, though, grounded into a double play.
The Mets loaded the bases with two outs in the fourth. Josh Thole brought the threat to an end with a groundout.
Colorado broke a scoreless tie in the fifth. Iannetta led off with a double to left-center field, moved to third on a groundout and scored on Fowler's single to left.
But New York tied the game in the sixth. Carlos Beltran walked and Ike Davis singled to put men on the corners with one out. Bay then reached first on third baseman Ian Stewart's throwing error. Beltran scored on the play to make it 1-1. The Mets went on to load the bases, but Capuano struck out.
With one out in the seventh, Iannetta smacked Capuano's offering over the wall in left for a 2-1 lead.
Rafael Betancourt tossed a perfect eighth and Huston Street worked around a leadoff single in the ninth for his 12th save.
The Mets started a six-game road trip on Monday, while the Rockies got an eight-game homestand underway...Capuano fell to 4-5 lifetime against Colorado...New York went 0-for-7 with runners in scoring position and stranded 10.
- NEW YORK: 1
May 9 11:28 PM
- Ryan Spilborghs pinch-hitting for Matt Belisle.
Mets 1, Rockies 2 Bot 7, 2 OutsMay 9 10:55 PM
- Jason Pridie flied out to left. Runners on first and second and with two outs and Josh Thole due up.
Mets 1, Rockies 1 Top 6, 2 OutsMay 9 10:19 PM
- David Wright struck out swinging. None on with one out and Carlos Beltran due up.
Mets 0, Rockies 1 Top 6, 1 OutMay 9 10:11 PM
- NEW YORK: 0
Top 1, 0 Outs
May 9 8:41 PM
- Mets' Duda out long term with stress fracture in lower back May 23
- Mets-Nationals Preview May 23
- Ventura: Relievers, media pose threats to Bradley's streak May 23
- Pirates' Vogelsong hit in head by pitch, leaves game May 23
- LEADING OFF: Kershaw tests streak vs Reds, Colon faces Nats May 23
- Baseball Capsules May 22
- Rockies-Pirates postponed after 1 inning; makeup on Monday May 22
- Syndergaard Ks 11, Conforto homers as Mets sweep Brewers May 22
- Signs of progress for Stanton in Marlins' 8-2 loss to Nats May 22
- Braun back in Brewers' lineup vs Mets after missing 4 games May 22
- Brewers-Mets Preview May 21
- Rockies-Pirates Preview May 21