Lee reaches milestone, Astros top MetsMay 15, 2011 - 2:46 AM
Lee came into the game needing just one hit to reach the plateau and his first inning single accomplished that.
"Anytime you accomplish something, it's always better when you win. You can celebrate and you can have fun. It's a lot easier," said Lee about his milestone.
Bill Hall added a solo home run and two RBI while Matt Downs also hit a solo home run for the Astros, who had dropped five of six. J.A. Happ (3-4) went six innings and gave up two runs on five hits with three walks and four strikeouts to get the win.
Jose Reyes had an RBI and a run score, Daniel Murphy hit a solo home run and Justin Turner drove in the other run for the Mets, who had won three straight coming into the contest. R.A. Dickey (1-5) was tagged for six runs on 11 hits in just 5 1/3 innings for the loss.
Houston jumped on top with a four-run first inning. Michael Bourn led off with a triple and came home when Clint Barmes followed with a ground out. Back-to- back singles by Hunter Pence and Lee was followed by an RBI double from Brett Wallace. A single from Chris Johnson scored another run and Hall singled in another for a 4-0 lead.
The Mets got one back in the third as Reyes led off with a double and came home on a Turner single to make it a 4-1 game.
A leadoff homer from Murphy in the fourth made it a two-run game, but the Astros added to their lead in the sixth.
Hall led off the frame with a shot to right for his second homer of the season. Two batters later, Downs knocked a pinch-hit home run for a 6-2 advantage.
"When that six inning came, Bill [Hall] got a pitch up and away that he hit a home run on, and then another two-strike home run on a change-up down that was a pretty good pitch...You just have to fight," said Dickey.
The seventh inning see Lee club a leadoff home run for hit No. 2,001 and a 7-2 lead.
An RBI single from Reyes in the ninth accounted for the final score.
Happ went 1-for-2 in the game to raise his batting average to .462 on the season...Houston has won three of five from New York this season...Since winning his first start of the season, Dickey is 0-5 in his past eight starts and saw his earned run average move to 5.08 on the season.
- NEW YORK: 3
May 14 6:54 PM
- Jose Reyes single to center scored Jason Pridie with two out. Runner on first with two outs and Justin Turner due up.
Mets 3, Astros 7 Top 9, 2 OutsMay 14 6:52 PM
- Brett Wallace walked. Runner on first with none out and Chris Johnson due up.
Mets 2, Astros 7 Bot 7, 0 OutsMay 14 6:16 PM
- Pinch-Hitter Matt Downs one-out, solo Home Run (2) to left. Michael Bourn due up.
Mets 2, Astros 6 Bot 6, 1 OutMay 14 5:53 PM
- Bill Hall lead-off Home Run (2) to right. Humberto Quintero due up.
Mets 2, Astros 5 Bot 6, 0 OutsMay 14 5:51 PM
- Daniel Murphy lead-off Home Run (3) to right. Scott Hairston due up.
Mets 2, Astros 4 Top 4, 0 OutsMay 14 5:13 PM
- Justin Turner single to center scored Jose Reyes with none out. Runner on first with none out and David Wright due up.
Mets 1, Astros 4 Top 3, 0 OutsMay 14 4:56 PM
- Bill Hall single to right scored Brett Wallace with one out. On the play, Chris Johnson advances to second. Runners on first and second with one out and Humberto Quintero due up.
Mets 0, Astros 4 Bot 1, 1 OutMay 14 4:33 PM
- Brett Wallace double to right scored Hunter Pence with one out. On the play, Carlos Lee advances to third. Runners on second and third with one out and Chris Johnson due up.
Mets 0, Astros 2 Bot 1, 1 OutMay 14 4:29 PM
- Clint Barmes groundout to short scored Michael Bourn with one out. None on with one out and Hunter Pence due up.
Mets 0, Astros 1 Bot 1, 1 OutMay 14 4:21 PM
- NEW YORK: 0
Top 1, 0 Outs
May 14 4:06 PM
- Mets' Duda out long term with stress fracture in lower back May 23
- Orioles-Astros Preview May 23
- Mets-Nationals Preview May 23
- LEADING OFF: Kershaw tests streak vs Reds, Colon faces Nats May 23
- Baseball Capsules May 22
- Syndergaard Ks 11, Conforto homers as Mets sweep Brewers May 22
- Hamels fans 11, Rangers down Keuchel, Astros 9-2 for sweep May 22
- Signs of progress for Stanton in Marlins' 8-2 loss to Nats May 22
- Braun back in Brewers' lineup vs Mets after missing 4 games May 22
- Rangers-Astros Preview May 21
- Brewers-Mets Preview May 21
- Andrus, Ramos lead Rangers over Astros 2-1 May 21