Cano, Colon carry Yankees to seventh straight winJul 3, 2011 - 1:25 AM
Eduardo Nunez finished 3-for-4 with two doubles and a solo homer, and Curtis Granderson added a solo shot for the Yankees, who have won a season-high seven consecutive games, including the first two in this series.
"Nunie has played well, but Derek is our shortstop," said Yankees manager Joe Girardi when asked if Nunez, who has gone 7-for-8 in the series, might threaten Jeter's job. "He's been here for a long, long time and he's still a great player."
Activated from the 15-day disabled list prior to the contest after suffering a left hamstring strain, Colon (6-3) yielded five hits while fanning six to win his fourth straight start.
"He's kind of surprised us all year long," Girardi added. "We weren't sure what we were going to get out of him in spring training, but he pitched well from then, and that's what he did today."
Jason Bay and Lucas Duda drove in a run each for the Mets, losers of three straight. Dillon Gee (8-2) was tagged in defeat for seven hits and four runs over seven full frames, striking out seven with three walks.
Granderson snapped the scoreless deadlock with a one-out homer to right-center in the sixth. Mark Teixeira and Alex Rodriguez followed with singles and Cano plated both with a triple. Nick Swisher's sacrifice fly to left made it 4-0.
"All of a sudden, he left the changeup up to Granderson, and when that ball was hit, he might as well have lost his concentration," said Mets manager Terry Collins about his starter's rapid implosion.
Nunez clubbed his homer with one down in the ninth against Tim Byrdak, and the Mets came up with two in the home portion off Sergio Mitre on consecutive groundouts by Bay and Duda. Josh Thole grounded back to the mound for the final out.
Both hurlers kept the opposition in check through the first 4 1/2 innings. The Mets loaded the bases in the home fifth thanks to three consecutive one-out singles, but Colon survived the rally by inducing an inning-ending 5-3 double- play grounder from his counterpart Gee.
For Colon, who made his first start since June 11, it was his third scoreless outing in those four wins, and marked the fifth time this season he held the opposition scoreless...The Yankees opened a roster spot for Colon by optioning pitcher Brian Gordon to Triple-A Scranton-Wilkes Barre...Mets shortstop Jose Reyes left the game prior to the top of the third inning due to an apparent hamstring injury. He is slated to undergo an MRI on Sunday...Jeter made a rehab start at Double-A Trenton on Saturday night.
- NEW YORK: 5
NEW YORK: 2
Jul 2 6:45 PM
- Lucas Duda grounded out second to first scoring Angel Pagan. None on with two outs and Josh Thole due up.
Yankees 5, Mets 2 Bot 9, 2 OutsJul 2 6:43 PM
- Jason Bay grounded out third to first scoring Daniel Murphy. On the play, Angel Pagan advances to third. Runner on third with one out and Lucas Duda due up.
Yankees 5, Mets 1 Bot 9, 1 OutJul 2 6:43 PM
- Eduardo Nunez one-out, solo Home Run (3) to left center. Cory Wade due up.
Yankees 5, Mets 0 Top 9, 1 OutJul 2 6:31 PM
- Nick Swisher sacrifice fly out to left scored Robinson Cano. None on with two outs and Russell Martin due up.
Yankees 4, Mets 0 Top 6, 2 OutsJul 2 5:48 PM
- Robinson Cano tripled to right scoring Mark Teixeira and Alex Rodriguez. Runner on third with one out and Nick Swisher due up.
Yankees 3, Mets 0 Top 6, 1 OutJul 2 5:46 PM
- Curtis Granderson one-out, solo Home Run (22) to right. Mark Teixeira due up.
Yankees 1, Mets 0 Top 6, 1 OutJul 2 5:41 PM
- NEW YORK: 0
NEW YORK: 0
Top 1, 0 Outs
Jul 2 4:13 PM
- Mets' Duda out long term with stress fracture in lower back May 23
- Mets-Nationals Preview May 23
- Blue Jays-Yankees Preview May 23
- LEADING OFF: Kershaw tests streak vs Reds, Colon faces Nats May 23
- Ejections aplenty for Blue Jays lately May 23
- Baseball Capsules May 22
- Bad day gets worse for Athletics in 5-4 loss to Yankees May 22
- Pineda ends slump; Yanks top Oakland 5-4 to win 5th straight May 22
- Syndergaard Ks 11, Conforto homers as Mets sweep Brewers May 22
- Signs of progress for Stanton in Marlins' 8-2 loss to Nats May 22
- Gray put on DL by A's because of strained muscle May 22
- Braun back in Brewers' lineup vs Mets after missing 4 games May 22