Zimmerman lifts Nationals over MetsSep 14, 2011 - 4:45 AM Flushing, NY (Sports Network) - Ryan Zimmerman singled in the go-ahead run in the seventh inning, sending the Nationals past the Mets, 3-2, in the second meeting of a four-game series.
Rick Ankiel and Michael Morse each drove in a run for Washington, which has won four of its last five, including Monday's series opener by the same score.
Craig Stammen (1-1) scored the game-deciding run and earned the win in relief of starter Chien-Ming Wang, who gave up two runs on nine hits in five innings.
"I'm pleased with what I'm seeing [with Wang]. ... He's giving us a chance to win," Nationals manager Davey Johnson said.
Dillon Gee lasted 5 2/3 frames and was charged with two runs on six hits for New York, which has dropped four straight.
Tuesday was Star Wars night at Citi Field, but the outcome seemed like a rerun of a bad movie for the Mets, who gave up the go-ahead run in the seventh frame for the second straight night.
Stammen, after stranding runners on second and third in the sixth, singled off Dale Thayer (0-2) with one out and eventually scored on Zimmerman's single through the left side of the infield.
New York was hitless against Washington's bullpen until Jose Reyes and Ruben Tejada each singled with two away in the ninth.
Lucas Duda, looking for his second career four-hit game, swung at strike three in the dirt to end the rally and finish off Drew Storen's 36th save.
The Mets broke a scoreless tie in the fifth when Duda's single allowed Reyes and Tejada to score, the latter sliding in safely after Jayson Werth kicked the ball around in right field.
Ankiel, who threw out Josh Thole at home plate prior to Duda's hit, doubled in a run in the sixth and later scored on Morse's two-bagger to tie it.
"I let myself get more rushed every pitch. I sped myself up," Gee said of the sixth.
Reyes reached base four times on three hits and one walk...The Mets stranded 10 runners...The season series is tied, 8-8, with two to play.
- WASHINGTON: 3
NEW YORK: 2
Sep 13 10:20 PM
- Michael Morse lined out to right to end the inning.
Nationals 3, Mets 2 Mid 7Sep 13 9:27 PM
- Jayson Werth walked. Runners on first and second with two outs and Danny Espinosa due up.
Nationals 2, Mets 2 Top 6, 2 OutsSep 13 8:47 PM
- Rick Ankiel double to left scored Ian Desmond with one out. Runner on second and Ryan Zimmerman due up.
Nationals 1, Mets 2 Top 6, 1 OutSep 13 8:39 PM
- Lucas Duda single to right scored Jose Reyes and Ruben Tejada with two out. On the play, Ruben Tejada scored on Jayson Werth's fielding error. Runner on first and David Wright due up.
Nationals 0, Mets 2 Bot 5, 2 OutsSep 13 8:27 PM
- WASHINGTON: 0
NEW YORK: 0
Top 1, 0 Outs
Sep 13 7:11 PM
- Mets' Duda out long term with stress fracture in lower back May 23
- Mets-Nationals Preview May 23
- LEADING OFF: Kershaw tests streak vs Reds, Colon faces Nats May 23
- Baseball Capsules May 22
- Syndergaard Ks 11, Conforto homers as Mets sweep Brewers May 22
- Signs of progress for Stanton in Marlins' 8-2 loss to Nats May 22
- Scherzer pitches 8 innings to help Nats beat Marlins 8-2 May 22
- Braun back in Brewers' lineup vs Mets after missing 4 games May 22
- Nationals-Marlins Preview May 22
- Nats' 9th-inning rally comes up short in 3-2 loss at Miami May 21
- Jose Fernandez pitches Marlins past Nationals 3-2 May 21
- Brewers-Mets Preview May 21