Monster Ball: Gonzalez lifts Red Sox over O's in 9thMay 17, 2011 - 4:56 AM
Kevin Gregg (0-1) walked Jacoby Ellsbury with one out, and after he stole second, Dustin Pedroia also worked a base on balls. Gonzalez then took an offering the opposite way off the Green Monster, bringing home both runners to end the contest.
It made a winner of Alfredo Aceves (1-0), who allowed one run and two hits in three relief innings.
Gonzalez ended up with three RBI, while Kevin Youkilis and Jason Varitek knocked in two runs each for the Red Sox, who were coming off a weekend road sweep of the Yankees.
For the home team, it was their largest comeback victory since falling behind 6-0 against the Yankees and winning 16-11 at Fenway on April 25, 2009. Boston also moved above the .500 mark for the first time all season at 21-20.
Mark Reynolds homered and drove in two runs for the Orioles, who had won two of three at Tampa Bay. Vladimir Guerrero finished 3-for-5 with two doubles, two runs scored and an RBI in defeat.
Adam Jones singled home Guerrero in the sixth to make it 6-0, but the Sox offense awoke in the home half with five runs against two O's pitchers. Baltimore starter Chris Tillman had held the Sox in check to that point, yielding just five hits and three walks over five scoreless frames.
Mike Gonzalez gave up a base hit to J.D. Drew and RBI double to Jed Lowrie. Reynolds mishandled a Carl Crawford dribbler to put runners on the corners and Varitek singled home another run.
Against Jeremy Accardo, Pedroia flied out before Gonzalez brought in Crawford with a base hit, and Youkilis followed with a two-run double down the left field line for a 6-5 game. Clay Rapada walked David Ortiz but got Drew to ground out to end the threat.
Reynolds atoned for his mistake in the seventh with a long leadoff homer to deep center, but Varitek singled in Lowrie in the home portion to again bring the Sox within one.
Derrek Lee's double and a Guerrero groundout put the O's up by two in the first inning. Guerrero then began the third with a base hit and later came in on a Matt Wieters single to make it 3-0.
Boston starter Daisuke Matsuzaka was forced from the game in the fifth after issuing two walks with one out. Scott Atchison came on and allowed an RBI single to Reynolds and J.J. Hardy's sacrifice fly for a 5-0 Baltimore advantage.
Matsuzaka was charged with five hits, five runs and seven walks over 4 1/3 innings.
The Red Sox improved to 38-12 at Fenway against the Orioles since June 2, 2005...The comeback victory occurred on the night former Sox shortstop Jerry Remy returned to the broadcast booth after an extended absence due to pneumonia...Gregg now has three blown saves this season...Prior to the game, the Red Sox placed starter John Lackey on the 15-day disabled list and recalled Atchison from Triple-A Pawtucket...The seven walks were the most issued by Matsuzaka since he issued eight bases on balls in a 4-3 loss to Kansas City on May 27, 2010.
- BALTIMORE: 7
May 16 11:07 PM
- Adrian Gonzalez double to left scored Jacoby Ellsbury and Dustin Pedroia with one out to win the game.
Orioles 7, Red Sox 8 Bot 9, 1 OutMay 16 11:07 PM
- Jason Varitek single to left scored Jed Lowrie with one out. Runner on first with one out and Jacoby Ellsbury due up.
Orioles 7, Red Sox 6 Bot 7, 1 OutMay 16 10:20 PM
- Mark Reynolds lead-off Home Run (5) to center. J.J. Hardy due up.
Orioles 7, Red Sox 5 Top 7, 0 OutsMay 16 10:06 PM
- Kevin Youkilis double to left scored Jason Varitek and Adrian Gonzalez with two out. Runner on second with two outs and David Ortiz due up.
Orioles 6, Red Sox 5 Bot 6, 2 OutsMay 16 9:58 PM
- Adrian Gonzalez single to left scored Carl Crawford with two out. On the play, Jason Varitek advances to second. Runners on first and second with two outs and Kevin Youkilis due up.
Orioles 6, Red Sox 3 Bot 6, 2 OutsMay 16 9:55 PM
- Jacoby Ellsbury lined out to left. Runners on first and second with one out and Dustin Pedroia due up.
Orioles 6, Red Sox 2 Bot 6, 1 OutMay 16 9:48 PM
- Jed Lowrie double to right scored J.D. Drew with none out. Runner on second with none out and Carl Crawford due up.
Orioles 6, Red Sox 1 Bot 6, 0 OutsMay 16 9:40 PM
- Adam Jones single to right scored Vladimir Guerrero with two out. On the play, Luke Scott advances to third. Runners on first and third with two outs and Matt Wieters due up.
Orioles 6, Red Sox 0 Top 6, 2 OutsMay 16 9:33 PM
- J.J. Hardy sacrifice fly to left scored Matt Wieters with two out. Runner on first with two outs and Brian Roberts due up.
Orioles 5, Red Sox 0 Top 5, 2 OutsMay 16 9:09 PM
- Mark Reynolds single to center scored Luke Scott with one out. On the play, Matt Wieters advances to third. Runners on first and third with one out and J.J. Hardy due up.
Orioles 4, Red Sox 0 Top 5, 1 OutMay 16 9:07 PM
- Mark Reynolds flied out to right. Runners on first and third with two outs and J.J. Hardy due up.
Orioles 3, Red Sox 0 Top 3, 2 OutsMay 16 8:24 PM
- Vladimir Guerrero groundout to short scored Nick Markakis with one out. Runner on second with one out and Luke Scott due up.
Orioles 2, Red Sox 0 Top 1, 1 OutMay 16 7:22 PM
- Derrek Lee double to left scored Brian Roberts with none out. On the play, Nick Markakis advances to third. Runners on second and third with none out and Vladimir Guerrero due up.
Orioles 1, Red Sox 0 Top 1, 0 OutsMay 16 7:20 PM
- BALTIMORE: 0
Top 1, 0 Outs
May 16 7:12 PM
- Orioles-Astros Preview May 23
- Ventura: Relievers, media pose threats to Bradley's streak May 23
- Baseball Capsules May 22
- Perez's 5 RBIs help Weaver and Angels top Orioles 10-2 May 22
- Ortiz gets 4 hits, Bradley's streak at 27, Bosox top Indians May 22
- Boston's Bradley extends hitting streak to 27 games May 22
- Shoemaker strikes out 12, Angels lose 3-1 to Orioles May 22
- Wieters homers in ninth to lift Orioles past Angels, 3-1 May 22
- LEADING OFF: Bradley's 26-game hit streak, Braun recovering May 22
- Orioles-Angels Preview May 22
- Baseball Capsules May 22
- Indians-Red Sox Preview May 21