Willingham's homer helps A's sweep OriolesMay 30, 2011 - 3:54 AM
Willingham finished 2-for-4 and drove in four for the Athletics, who swept the series and have won four in a row overall. Conor Jackson and Daric Barton both added an RBI.
"We're playing more consistent baseball and I think, as a team, that's all you can really ask for," said Willingham.
Guillermo Moscoso (2-0) allowed four runs on five hits in five innings. Oakland's bullpen -- including Brian Fuentes, who earned his 11th save thanks to a scoreless ninth -- turned in four innings of two-hit ball.
Vladimir Guerrero, Nick Markakis, Felix Pie and Nolan Reimold each knocked in a run for the Orioles, who had won five straight coming into the weekend.
Zach Britton (5-3) was tagged in the loss for 10 hits and six runs over 5 2/3 innings.
"Any time you get swept, it's really disappointing, especially with the streak that we were on," said Britton. "This is a team I think we should handle. But obviously we didn't pitch well enough, we didn't go deep into games, we used our bullpen, and when you do that stuff you're not going to win many games."
Down 4-1, the A's struck back to take the lead for good with a big fifth inning.
Cliff Pennington singled with one out and advanced on a Coco Crisp infield hit. After Barton fanned, Jackson singled home Pennington and Willingham followed with the go-ahead blast to left.
Mark Ellis led off the sixth with a single and later came in on a Barton sacrifice fly and the home team led 6-4.
Andrew Bailey, who was activated from the 15-day disabled list prior to the contest, retired the side in order in the seventh.
Grant Balfour worked around a Guerrero single in the eighth, then Fuentes allowed a two-out hit in the ninth before closing out the game by getting pinch-hitter Ryan Adams to foul out.
Willingham singled in Barton in Oakland's first at-bat, but Baltimore tallied four times in the top of the fifth.
The O's loaded the bases with none out thanks to two singles and a botched sacrifice, then four straight batters pushed a run across: Pie singled, Reimold worked a walk, and both Markakis and Guerrero grounded out.
Both clubs are back in action on Monday, as Oakland welcomes the Yankees and Baltimore travels to Seattle...Prior to the contest, the Orioles recalled pitcher Pedro Viola from Double-A Bowie to complete the transaction after Saturday's game which saw the club option pitcher Brad Bergesen to Triple-A Norfolk...The Athletics optioned pitcher Bobby Cramer to Triple-A Sacramento to make room for Bailey...Orioles center fielder Adam Jones left the game with an apparent shoulder injury.
- BALTIMORE: 4
May 29 6:49 PM
- Daric Barton sacrifice fly out to right scored Mark Ellis. On the play, Kevin Kouzmanoff advances to third. Runners on first and third with two outs and Conor Jackson due up.
Orioles 4, Athletics 6 Bot 6, 2 OutsMay 29 6:03 PM
- Josh Willingham two-out, three-run Home Run (9) to left scored Coco Crisp and Conor Jackson. Kurt Suzuki due up.
Orioles 4, Athletics 5 Bot 5, 2 OutsMay 29 5:40 PM
- Conor Jackson single to left scored Cliff Pennington. On the play, Coco Crisp advances to second. Runners on first and second with two outs and Josh Willingham due up.
Orioles 4, Athletics 2 Bot 5, 2 OutsMay 29 5:35 PM
- Vladimir Guerrero grounded out second to first scoring Felix Pie. Runner on second with two outs and Matt Wieters due up.
Orioles 4, Athletics 1 Top 5, 2 OutsMay 29 5:22 PM
- Nolan Reimold walked. Mark Reynolds scored on the play. Bases loaded with none out and Nick Markakis due up.
Orioles 2, Athletics 1 Top 5, 0 OutsMay 29 5:19 PM
- Felix Pie single to center scored J.J. Hardy. On the play, Robert Andino advances to second and Mark Reynolds advances to third. Bases loaded with none out and Nolan Reimold due up.
Orioles 1, Athletics 1 Top 5, 0 OutsMay 29 5:17 PM
- Kurt Suzuki flied out to center. On the play, Conor Jackson advances to third. Runners on first and third with two outs and David DeJesus due up.
Orioles 0, Athletics 1 Bot 1, 2 OutsMay 29 4:21 PM
- BALTIMORE: 0
Top 1, 0 Outs
May 29 4:08 PM
- Orioles-Astros Preview May 23
- Athletics-Mariners Preview May 23
- LEADING OFF: Kershaw tests streak vs Reds, Colon faces Nats May 23
- Ejections aplenty for Blue Jays lately May 23
- Bad day gets worse for Athletics in 5-4 loss to Yankees May 22
- Pineda ends slump; Yanks top Oakland 5-4 to win 5th straight May 22
- Perez's 5 RBIs help Weaver and Angels top Orioles 10-2 May 22
- Gray put on DL by A's because of strained muscle May 22
- Shoemaker strikes out 12, Angels lose 3-1 to Orioles May 22
- Wieters homers in ninth to lift Orioles past Angels, 3-1 May 22
- Orioles-Angels Preview May 22
- Yankees-Athletics Preview May 21