Rays burn Orioles to take seriesJun 13, 2011 - 12:09 AM
Johnny Damon had a solo homer and knocked in a pair, while Kelly Shoppach added a two-run single for Tampa Bay, which has won six of eight. Ben Zobrist went 2-for-4 with three runs scored.
Wade Davis (5-5) allowed five runs -- four earned -- on eight hits in six-plus innings, fanning three and walking one. J.P. Howell got the final three outs to pick up his first save of the season.
Adam Jones finished 2-for-4 with a solo homer and two RBI for the Orioles, who have dropped two straight after winning the previous four. Vladimir Guerrero and Luke Scott also had solo homers in defeat.
Brian Matusz (1-1) worked only 1 1/3 innings, yielding five hits and four runs while walking four.
"From the get-go I didn't get a good feel. It was just one of those days when you have to battle without your good stuff," said Matusz. "I just wasn't able to get on track today."
Tampa Bay jumped on Matusz for three in the first. Damon led off the game with a homer over the right-field wall and Zobrist and Justin Ruggiano each singled to put runners on the corners. Longoria's sacrifice fly to left scored another.
Later in the inning with men on second and third, Sean Rodriguez hit a grounder that was booted by third baseman Mark Reynolds, bringing in the third run.
Back-to-back two-out homers by Jones and Guerrero in the home half made it a 3-2 game.
B.J. Upton's sac fly in the second and Damon's RBI single in the third put Tampa Bay ahead 5-2.
Jones' double coupled with a throwing error in the home third allowed Jones to score and drew the Orioles a run closer.
Shoppach put the Rays ahead 7-3 with a two-out, two-run single in the seventh, but Baltimore answered with two in the home half on RBI groundouts by Nick Markakis and Jones.
Zobrist led off the eighth with a single and two batters later, Longoria hit a liner to center that was misplayed by Jones and the ball rolled all the way to the wall. Longoria circled the bases for an inside-the-park homer that gave the Rays a 9-5 advantage.
"As soon as I got around second I was pretty much committed to going home. There wasn't anything slowing me down around third," said Longoria.
Scott hit a homer to straight away center leading off the bottom half.
Juan Cruz, who got the last out in the eighth, stayed on for the ninth and gave up a single to pinch-hitter Matt Wieters leading off. Howell entered and retired J.J. Hardy on a fly ball before Markakis bounced into a game-ending 1-6-3 double play.
The teams have split 12 games this season...Davis improved to 5-3 in his career versus the Orioles...Reynolds left in the top of the eighth with an arm injury...Tampa Bay went 2-for-10 with runners in scoring position and stranded 10, while Baltimore finished 1-for-5 with RISP and left five...Ruggiano went 3-for-5 with a run scored in the win.
- TAMPA BAY: 9
Jun 12 5:11 PM
- Luke Scott lead-off Home Run (8) to center. Robert Andino due up.
Rays 9, Orioles 6 Bot 8, 0 OutsJun 12 4:42 PM
- B.J. Upton struck out swinging. None on with two outs and Sean Rodriguez due up.
Rays 9, Orioles 5 Top 8, 2 OutsJun 12 4:36 PM
- Vladimir Guerrero grounded out short to first to end the inning.
Rays 7, Orioles 5 End 7Jun 12 4:24 PM
- Kelly Shoppach singled to left scored B.J. Upton and Sean Rodriguez. Runner on first with two outs and Johnny Damon due up.
Rays 7, Orioles 3 Top 7, 2 OutsJun 12 3:59 PM
- Adam Jones doubled to right center, advances to home on Sean Rodriguez's throwing error. None on with two outs and Vladimir Guerrero due up.
Rays 5, Orioles 3 Bot 3, 2 OutsJun 12 2:55 PM
- Johnny Damon singled to second scored Casey Kotchman. On the play, Kelly Shoppach advances to second. Runners on first and second with one out and Ben Zobrist due up.
Rays 5, Orioles 2 Top 3, 1 OutJun 12 2:43 PM
- B.J. Upton sacrifice fly out to left scored Ben Zobrist. On the play, Justin Ruggiano advances to third. Runners on first and third with two outs and Sean Rodriguez due up.
Rays 4, Orioles 2 Top 2, 2 OutsJun 12 2:23 PM
- Vladimir Guerrero two-out, solo Home Run (6) to right. Luke Scott due up.
Rays 3, Orioles 2 Bot 1, 2 OutsJun 12 2:05 PM
- Adam Jones two-out, solo Home Run (9) to left. Vladimir Guerrero due up.
Rays 3, Orioles 1 Bot 1, 2 OutsJun 12 2:04 PM
- Sean Rodriguez reached first on Mark Reynolds's fielding error scored Justin Ruggiano. Runners on first and second with one out and Casey Kotchman due up.
Rays 3, Orioles 0 Top 1, 1 OutJun 12 1:54 PM
- Evan Longoria sacrifice fly out to left scored Ben Zobrist. Runner on first with one out and B.J. Upton due up.
Rays 2, Orioles 0 Top 1, 1 OutJun 12 1:48 PM
- TAMPA BAY: 1
Top 1, 0 Outs
Jun 12 1:43 PM
- Rays' Kiermaier expected to miss 8-10 weeks with broken hand May 23
- Orioles-Astros Preview May 23
- Rays-Marlins Preview May 23
- Baseball Capsules May 22
- Tigers beat Rays 9-4 but Zimmermann, Cabrera hurt May 22
- Perez's 5 RBIs help Weaver and Angels top Orioles 10-2 May 22
- Archer hit hard as Rays fall 9-4 to Tigers May 22
- Signs of progress for Stanton in Marlins' 8-2 loss to Nats May 22
- Shoemaker strikes out 12, Angels lose 3-1 to Orioles May 22
- Wieters homers in ninth to lift Orioles past Angels, 3-1 May 22
- Orioles-Angels Preview May 22
- Kiermaier breaks hand, Rays fall to Tigers 5-4 May 21