Romero fans 12, Blue Jays hit 3HRs to top OriolesJun 16, 2011 - 7:17 AM
Romero (6-6) allowed one run on three hits and four walks while tying his career high with 12 strikeouts.
Yunel Escobar, Juan Rivera and Adam Lind each went deep as the Jays won for the second consecutive time after dropping four in a row.
Jake Arrieta (8-4) allowed three runs on nine hits and two walks in 6 2/3 innings for the Orioles, losers of four straight.
"I attacked hitters for the most part really well. A consequence of that was a few base hits," Arrieta said.
Baltimore only had runners reach scoring position twice in the game. Once was in the fourth when J.J. Hardy led off the inning with a double. But after Nick Markakis walked, Adam Jones struck out and Vladimir Guerrero grounded into a double play to end the inning.
The other time came in the ninth. Romero started the inning seeking his second career shutout, but after walking Markakis and Jones to start the inning, he was pulled off the mound in favor of Frank Francisco.
Francisco induced a Guerrero pop out before Matt Wieters pulled a single into right field to score Markakis. Derrek Lee followed by grounding into a 5-4-3 double play to end the game and give Francisco his sixth save of the year.
Escobar led off the bottom of the first with a home run to give the Jays an early one-run lead and Rivera added a solo shot in the sixth inning to make it a 2-0 game.
Arrieta walked Jose Bautista with two outs in the seventh and was replaced by Clay Rapada.
But Rapada served a two-run homer to Lind on a 1-2 count that gave Toronto a four-run advantage.
"I just really wanted to make contact," Lind said. "I put a good swing on it."
Baltimore placed pitcher Alfredo Simon on the 15-day disabled list and recalled pitcher Jason Berken from Triple-A Norfolk on Wednesday...Hardy extended his hit streak to eight games...Bautista has now reached base safely in 57 of his 60 games this year...Toronto has now won 16 straight home games against Baltimore.
- BALTIMORE: 1
Jun 15 9:36 PM
- Matt Wieters singled in Nick Markakis with one out. On the play, Adam Jones advances to third. Runners on first and third with Derrek Lee due up.
Orioles 1, Blue Jays 4 Top 9, 1 OutJun 15 9:34 PM
- Adam Lind two-out, two-run Home Run (13) to right scored Jose Bautista. Juan Rivera due up.
Orioles 0, Blue Jays 4 Bot 7, 2 OutsJun 15 9:03 PM
- Juan Rivera one-out, solo Home Run (5) to left. J.P. Arencibia due up.
Orioles 0, Blue Jays 2 Bot 6, 1 OutJun 15 8:38 PM
- Corey Patterson grounded out short to first. None on with one out and Jose Bautista due up.
Orioles 0, Blue Jays 1 Bot 1, 1 OutJun 15 7:17 PM
- BALTIMORE: 0
Top 1, 0 Outs
Jun 15 7:09 PM
- Orioles-Astros Preview May 23
- Blue Jays-Yankees Preview May 23
- Ejections aplenty for Blue Jays lately May 23
- Baseball Capsules May 22
- Perez's 5 RBIs help Weaver and Angels top Orioles 10-2 May 22
- Hughes drops to 1-7 as Twins lose to Blue Jays 3-1 May 22
- Bautista, Donaldson homers propel Blue Jays over Twins 3-1 May 22
- Blue Jays manager Gibbons ejected for 4th time this season May 22
- Shoemaker strikes out 12, Angels lose 3-1 to Orioles May 22
- Wieters homers in ninth to lift Orioles past Angels, 3-1 May 22
- Orioles-Angels Preview May 22
- Baseball Capsules May 22