Pirates capitalize on error to take rubber match from O'sJun 23, 2011 - 12:09 AM
Andrew McCutchen went 2-for-4 with a run batted in and Neil Walker added an RBI for the Pirates, who have won their last two games after a four-game skid.
Kevin Correia (9-6) earned the win for the Bucs despite giving up four runs on nine hits over six innings.
Joel Hanrahan got his 20th save for Pittsburgh after tossing a perfect ninth inning.
"We threw up zeros out of the bullpen and Correia gave us everything he had to get through the sixth," said Pittsburgh manager Clint Hurdle.
Nick Markakis went 3-for-5 with an RBI and J.J. Hardy was 2-for-5 with a double and two RBI for the Orioles, who have lost four of their last six.
Zach Britton (6-5) was tagged with the loss for Baltimore, giving up five runs -- three of which were earned -- on seven hits over six frames.
"A lot of the base hits (Zach) gave up were of the groundball variety. He pitched very well and deserved a better fate," said Baltimore manager Buck Showalter.
Down 4-3 in the fifth, the Pirates jumped ahead after two runs scored on the fielding error by Davis, who made his major league debut.
Brandon Wood singled to open the inning, then moved to second on a Michael McKenry base hit to center. Both runners moved up after a Correia sacrifice bunt and scored when Josh Harrison roped a grounder to second that skipped between Davis' legs.
The Pirates' pitching staff held on to the lead. Correia pitched a scoreless sixth, and Chris Resop and Jose Veras recorded the next six outs to get the ball to Hanrahan.
Pittsburgh jumped out to a 2-0 lead in the first, when Jose Tabata led off with a swinging bunt down the third base line and Harrison perfectly executed a bunt. McCutchen singled to left-center to plate Tabata, and Harrison scored when Walker grounded into a double play.
But the Orioles rallied twice to move in front.
In the third, Britton and Hardy led off with singles before Markakis laced a double to right, scoring Britton and moving Hardy to third. Adam Jones then grounded out to second base, allowing Hardy to score.
The Orioles grabbed a 4-2 lead in the fourth, when Luke Scott and Mark Reynolds set the table with consecutive leadoff singles. Both used heads-up baserunning to advanced on Davis' fly out to center, then scored on a double by Hardy.
Pittsburgh cut its deficit to one in the bottom of the fourth. McCutchen doubled to deep center field, moved to third on a wild pitch and scored on Walker's groundout to short.
The Pirates have scored 49 first-inning runs this season...Pittsburgh's bullpen allowed just one run in 14 1/3 innings in the series...Markakis extended his hitting streak to 13 games...Baltimore fell to 4-5 in interleague play this season.
- BALTIMORE: 4
Jun 22 3:14 PM
- Josh Harrison reached first on Blake Davis's fielding error scoring Brandon Wood and Michael McKenry with two out. Runner on first and Andrew McCutchen due up.
Orioles 4, Pirates 5 Bot 5, 2 OutsJun 22 2:06 PM
- Neil Walker grounded out short to first scoring Andrew McCutchen with one out. None on and Matt Diaz due up.
Orioles 4, Pirates 3 Bot 4, 1 OutJun 22 1:43 PM
- Nick Markakis flied out to left to end the inning.
Orioles 4, Pirates 2 Mid 4Jun 22 1:37 PM
- Adam Jones grounded out second to first scoring J.J. Hardy with one out. On the play, Nick Markakis advances to third. Runner on third and Derrek Lee due up.
Orioles 2, Pirates 2 Top 3, 1 OutJun 22 1:15 PM
- Nick Markakis double to right scored Zach Britton with none out. On the play, J.J. Hardy advances to third. Runners on second and third and Adam Jones due up.
Orioles 1, Pirates 2 Top 3, 0 OutsJun 22 1:14 PM
- Neil Walker grounded into a double play, second to short to first scoring Josh Harrison. Andrew McCutchen out at second. None on with two outs and Matt Diaz due up.
Orioles 0, Pirates 2 Bot 1, 2 OutsJun 22 12:53 PM
- Andrew McCutchen single to left-center scored Jose Tabata with none out. On the play, Josh Harrison advances to third. Runners on first and third and Neil Walker due up.
Orioles 0, Pirates 1 Bot 1, 0 OutsJun 22 12:51 PM
- BALTIMORE: 0
Top 1, 0 Outs
Jun 22 12:36 PM
- Orioles-Astros Preview May 23
- Pirates' Vogelsong hit in head by pitch, leaves game May 23
- Perez's 5 RBIs help Weaver and Angels top Orioles 10-2 May 22
- Rockies-Pirates postponed after 1 inning; makeup on Monday May 22
- Shoemaker strikes out 12, Angels lose 3-1 to Orioles May 22
- Wieters homers in ninth to lift Orioles past Angels, 3-1 May 22
- Closer Melancon takes first loss as Pirates fall to Rockies May 22
- Adames' first homer caps 4-run 9th as Rockies win 4-1 May 22
- Orioles-Angels Preview May 22
- Baseball Capsules May 22
- Rockies-Pirates Preview May 21
- Pirates 3B Kang exits with left hand injury after slide May 21