Rangers rout OriolesJul 5, 2011 - 5:03 AM
Chavez hit a two-run homer and a two-run double, while David Murphy added three hits and Adrian Beltre homered to help the Rangers snap a two-game slide.
Texas did most of its damage early in the game, scoring six runs against Orioles starter Chris Jakubauskas (2-2), who started the third inning but couldn't get an out.
But the Rangers kept the pressure on and ended up with 18 hits, 10 of which went for extra bases. It was plenty of support for starter Colby Lewis (8-7), who limited Baltimore to three runs in seven innings.
"It's only a matter of time before we had a kind of a game like tonight, where we're going to come out and score a lot of runs," Lewis said. "That's just what our offense is capable of pretty much every night."
Mark Reynolds went deep twice for the Orioles, continuing his home run binge. He hit two Saturday against Atlanta, and blasted a two-run shot Sunday. But his power display couldn't keep Baltimore from losing for the sixth time in seven games.
Reynolds gave the Orioles a 2-0 lead in the second inning, when he crushed a belt-high fastball deep to left field with Vladimir Guerrero on base.
But the Rangers charged back, taking control by spraying a series of extra- base hits around their home park.
Young began the bottom of the second with a double to deep center, later scoring on Murphy's base hit. Yorvit Torrealba then doubled to deep center to bring in Murphy, and Chavez followed by ripping a low-and-inside breaking ball down the right field line for his third homer of the season.
Texas resumed its offensive onslaught in the third, which Josh Hamilton began with a single. Jakubauskas then delivered an 0-1 fastball on the inner part of the plate -- but also just above the knees -- to Beltre, who slugged it over the wall in left.
And that was it for Jakubauskas, who was pulled for Alfredo Simon after throwing 45 pitches, too many of which were ineffective against the Rangers' potent lineup.
"Real easy to jump on stuff when it's right down Broadway, thigh-high," said Jakubauskas. "I had a little bit of trouble getting the ball down tonight."
But Simon didn't fare much better. Singles by Young and Murphy set up Chavez's two-run double, which made it an 8-2 game, and Young tripled in Beltre in the fourth.
Young's first chance to complete the cycle came in the sixth, when he hit a fly ball to center field. But it was caught well short of the wall and he didn't get another opportunity -- Mike Napoli pinch-hit for him in the eighth inning.
While Young didn't complete that feat, the Rangers continued to add on runs. Hamilton hit a sacrifice fly in the sixth, and Nelson Cruz and Murphy hit consecutive doubles to begin the seventh. Pinch-hitter Craig Gentry later added a sacrifice fly of his own in the seventh, and Texas completed its scoring with Cruz's RBI single in the eighth.
The display of offense overwhelmed the Orioles' pitching staff, and Baltimore's lineup couldn't keep up despite three home runs. Following Reynolds' second-inning blast, J.J. Hardy hit a solo shot in the seventh, and Reynolds hit his second of the game an inning later. However, the Orioles had just three other hits.
Reynolds recorded his 12th career multi-homer game, and third this season...Chavez matched a career high in RBI...Lewis, who is 3-0 in his last four starts, allowed five hits and three walks...Simon pitched 4 1/3 innings for the Orioles.
- BALTIMORE: 4
Jul 4 10:56 PM
- Nelson Cruz singled to center scored Mike Napoli. Runner on first with two outs and David Murphy due up.
Orioles 4, Rangers 13 Bot 8, 2 OutsJul 4 10:45 PM
- Mark Reynolds two-out, solo Home Run 2 (20) to left. Matt Wieters due up.
Orioles 4, Rangers 12 Top 8, 2 OutsJul 4 10:35 PM
- Pinch-Hitter Craig Gentry sacrifice fly out to center scored David Murphy. None on with two outs and Ian Kinsler due up.
Orioles 3, Rangers 12 Bot 7, 2 OutsJul 4 10:24 PM
- David Murphy doubled to left center scored Nelson Cruz. Runner on second with none out and Yorvit Torrealba due up.
Orioles 3, Rangers 11 Bot 7, 0 OutsJul 4 10:15 PM
- J.J. Hardy two-out, solo Home Run (12) to center. Nick Markakis due up.
Orioles 3, Rangers 10 Top 7, 2 OutsJul 4 10:07 PM
- Josh Hamilton sacrifice fly out to right scored Ian Kinsler. None on with two outs and Adrian Beltre due up.
Orioles 2, Rangers 10 Bot 6, 2 OutsJul 4 9:59 PM
- Michael Young tripled to center scored Adrian Beltre. Runner on third with two outs and Nelson Cruz due up.
Orioles 2, Rangers 9 Bot 4, 2 OutsJul 4 9:24 PM
- Matt Wieters grounded out to first. None on with one out and Derrek Lee due up.
Orioles 2, Rangers 8 Top 4, 1 OutJul 4 9:16 PM
- Adrian Beltre none-out, two-run Home Run (16) to left scored Josh Hamilton. Michael Young due up.
Orioles 2, Rangers 6 Bot 3, 0 OutsJul 4 9:01 PM
- Endy Chavez one-out, two-run Home Run (3) to right scored Yorvit Torrealba. Ian Kinsler due up.
Orioles 2, Rangers 4 Bot 2, 1 OutJul 4 8:46 PM
- Yorvit Torrealba doubled to center scored David Murphy. Runner on second with one out and Endy Chavez due up.
Orioles 2, Rangers 2 Bot 2, 1 OutJul 4 8:45 PM
- David Murphy singled to center scored Michael Young, advances to second on Adam Jones's fielding error. Runner on second with one out and Yorvit Torrealba due up.
Orioles 2, Rangers 1 Bot 2, 1 OutJul 4 8:43 PM
- Mark Reynolds none-out, two-run Home Run (19) to left scored Vladimir Guerrero. Matt Wieters due up.
Orioles 2, Rangers 0 Top 2, 0 OutsJul 4 8:29 PM
- BALTIMORE: 0
Top 1, 0 Outs
Jul 4 8:08 PM
- Josh Hamilton will miss all season with another knee surgery May 23
- Orioles-Astros Preview May 23
- Angels-Rangers Preview May 23
- Rangers put OF Choo back on DL after only 1 game in return May 23
- Ejections aplenty for Blue Jays lately May 23
- Baseball Capsules May 22
- Darvish seems ready for return to Rangers after strong rehab May 22
- Perez's 5 RBIs help Weaver and Angels top Orioles 10-2 May 22
- Odor to have appeal hearing for 8-game suspension Tuesday May 22
- Hamels fans 11, Rangers down Keuchel, Astros 9-2 for sweep May 22
- Shoemaker strikes out 12, Angels lose 3-1 to Orioles May 22
- Orioles-Angels Preview May 22