Tribe top OriolesJul 15, 2011 - 4:42 AM
Asdrubal Cabrera added a solo home run and finished the game 2-for-5 with two RBI while Michael Brantley had two hits, two runs scored and an RBI for the Indians, who dropped their final three games before the All-Star break. They are currently in a virtual tie with Detroit atop the AL Central Division.
"The way things are going this is probably going to go all the way down to the end because we play amongst ourselves for the last month and a half," Indians manager Manny Acta said.
Justin Masterson (8-6) improved to 3-0 in July as he gave up four runs on eight hits with a walk and eight strikeouts over six innings.
Nick Markakis hit a two-run single and Craig Tatum was 2-for-4 with a run scored for the Orioles, who have lost eight straight games. Jeremy Guthrie (3-13) dropped his fourth straight start as he gave up six runs on five hits and four walks over five-plus innings of work.
Since winning two of three against the Reds, Baltimore has just one win over its past 14 games.
"Things aren't going right for any of us right now," said Guthrie. "It's been a tough stretch for us lately and we just have to get things back to the way they should be."
Before the game, Major League Baseball handed out discipline to three Baltimore players and manager Buck Showalter stemming from several incidents during a series with the Boston Red Sox this past weekend.
Pitcher Kevin Gregg received a four-game suspension while pitcher Mike Gonzalez received a three-game suspension. Both players are appealing their suspensions so they well be held in abeyance until the review process is complete.
Showalter was handed a one-game suspension and served it Thursday as bench coach John Russell was Baltimore's skipper for the game.
Undisclosed fines were also included in the suspensions while pitcher Jim Johnson was also issued a fine.
The Indians began the second half of the season with a three-run first inning as Cabrera hit a one-out, solo home run and, after Travis Hafner walked, Santana knocked one over the right field wall for a 3-0 lead.
A double from Santana in the third inning scored another run, but Baltimore got back into the game in the bottom of the frame. With one out, Blake Davis walked and Tatum followed with a single. After J.J. Hardy struck out, both runners moved up a base on a wild pitch and Markakis brought them home with a bloop single to shallow left to make it a 4-2 game.
Cleveland, though, added four more in the sixth. Guthrie began the frame on the mound, but departed after putting the first two batters on base and Mark Hendrickson took over.
Travis Buck was the first batter Hendrickson faced and he hit a sacrifice fly to right that scored Grady Sizemore. Matt LaPorta then singled and, after Lonnie Chisenhall looked at strike three, Brantley brought home one with a single.
That brought out Jason Berken to the mound and he gave up consecutive RBI singles to Cabrera and Hafner to make it an 8-2 contest.
The Orioles got a couple back in the bottom of the sixth. Matt Wieters led off with a double and Derrek Lee followed with a double. Three batters later, Davis singled home Lee.
That was as close as it got, though, as Baltimore only managed one more base runner the rest of the game.
The Indians swept a three-game set against the Orioles at home in April...Masterson is now 4-3 in 10 games against the Orioles...Guthrie fell to 2-2 in six games against the Indians...Jake Arrieta pitches for Baltimore on Friday and will be opposed by Josh Tomlin for Cleveland.
- CLEVELAND: 8
Jul 14 10:02 PM
- Blake Davis single to left scored Derrek Lee. On the play, Blake Davis advances to second on the throw. Runner on second with two outs and Craig Tatum due up.
Indians 8, Orioles 4 Bot 6, 2 OutsJul 14 9:10 PM
- Derrek Lee double to left scored Matt Wieters. Runner on second with none out and Felix Pie due up.
Indians 8, Orioles 3 Bot 6, 0 OutsJul 14 9:04 PM
- Travis Hafner single to center scored Michael Brantley. On the play, Asdrubal Cabrera advances to second. Runners on first and second with two outs and Carlos Santana due up.
Indians 8, Orioles 2 Top 6, 2 OutsJul 14 8:58 PM
- Asdrubal Cabrera single to left scored Matt LaPorta. On the play, Michael Brantley advances to second. Runners on first and second with two outs and Travis Hafner due up.
Indians 7, Orioles 2 Top 6, 2 OutsJul 14 8:57 PM
- Michael Brantley single to center scored Orlando Cabrera. On the play, Matt LaPorta advances to third. Runners on first and third with two outs and Asdrubal Cabrera due up.
Indians 6, Orioles 2 Top 6, 2 OutsJul 14 8:51 PM
- Travis Buck sacrifice fly to right scored Grady Sizemore. Runner on first with one out and Matt LaPorta due up.
Indians 5, Orioles 2 Top 6, 1 OutJul 14 8:43 PM
- Nick Markakis single to left scored Blake Davis and Craig Tatum. Runner on first with two outs and Adam Jones due up.
Indians 4, Orioles 2 Bot 3, 2 OutsJul 14 7:53 PM
- Carlos Santana double to left scored Michael Brantley. On the play, Travis Hafner advances to third. Runners on second and third with one out and Grady Sizemore due up.
Indians 4, Orioles 0 Top 3, 1 OutJul 14 7:41 PM
- Carlos Santana one-out, two-run Home Run (14) to right scored Travis Hafner. Grady Sizemore due up.
Indians 3, Orioles 0 Top 1, 1 OutJul 14 7:12 PM
- Asdrubal Cabrera one-out, solo Home Run (15) to right. Travis Hafner due up.
Indians 1, Orioles 0 Top 1, 1 OutJul 14 7:09 PM
- CLEVELAND: 0
Top 1, 0 Outs
Jul 14 7:08 PM
- Orioles-Astros Preview May 23
- Indians-White Sox Preview May 23
- Indians' Joba Chamberlain (chest muscle) on disabled list May 23
- Baseball Capsules May 22
- Perez's 5 RBIs help Weaver and Angels top Orioles 10-2 May 22
- Ventura steps up, but Royals fall short, 3-2 May 22
- Ortiz gets 4 hits, Bradley's streak at 27, Bosox top Indians May 22
- Shoemaker strikes out 12, Angels lose 3-1 to Orioles May 22
- Wieters homers in ninth to lift Orioles past Angels, 3-1 May 22
- Orioles-Angels Preview May 22
- Baseball Capsules May 22
- Indians-Red Sox Preview May 21