Orioles solve Morrow, down Blue JaysAug 7, 2011 - 4:51 AM
Morrow had a perfect game through five frames, but the Orioles exploded for four runs in the sixth, highlighted by Adam Jones' three-run blast, to earn a 6-2 victory over the Toronto Blue Jays.
"It looked like Morrow had great stuff," said Orioles manager Buck Showalter. "We were able to stay close enough where we got a couple people out there and Jones put a good swing on the ball."
Chris Tillman (3-4), who was called up from the minors prior to the game, allowed two runs on four hits while fanning five over seven innings to earn the win.
Jones finished with four RBI as the Orioles evened the three-game series at a win apiece.
Morrow (8-6) was charged with six runs -- three earned -- on just four hits over 7 2/3 innings to suffer the loss.
Colby Rasmus belted his first home run as a Blue Jay.
Rasmus, who exited Friday's contest in the eighth inning with an injured finger, showed no ill effects, ripping a two-out solo shot in the second. It marked his first home run with Toronto since arriving from the Cardinals via trade in late July.
Tillman ran into trouble in the top of the sixth. He walked Jose Molina to begin the frame, allowed a Brett Lawrie single and hit Yunel Escobar to load the bases. Eric Thames flew out before Jose Bautista's sac fly made it a 2-0 game. Tillman got Adam Lind to ground out to prevent further damage.
"I thought the bases loaded, no outs situation was impressive to get out of that where [Tillman] was in the batting order," said Showalter.
Nolan Reimold led off the home half with a line drive single to break up the perfect game and things quickly unraveled for Morrow.
Blake Davis ripped a one-out single to place runners on the corners and Robert Andino followed with a routine grounder to short. Escobar failed to look the ball into his glove, however, and Reimold scored to cut the Jays advantage in half.
After a Nick Markakis fly out, Jones slapped a towering opposite field homer to give the Orioles a 4-2 lead. The blast was Jones' 20th of the season -- a career high.
Josh Bell caught the Jays napping in the eighth, scoring from second on a Markakis fly out to deep center. Jones followed with an RBI single to seal the final margin.
Tillman was recalled from Triple-A Norfolk prior to the game, while Jake Arrieta was placed on the 15-day DL with a bone spur in his right elbow....The Blue Jays lead the season series 7-4...Entering the game, Morrow had won six of his last seven decisions.
- TORONTO: 2
Aug 6 10:27 PM
- Shawn Camp enters the game for the Blue Jays with a runner on first and two out.
Blue Jays 2, Orioles 6 Bot 8, 2 OutsAug 6 10:21 PM
- Nick Markakis flied out to center. On the play, Robert Andino advances to second and Josh Bell scored on Colby Rasmus's throwing error. Runner on second with two outs and Adam Jones due up.
Blue Jays 2, Orioles 5 Bot 8, 2 OutsAug 6 10:20 PM
- Aaron Hill grounded out third to first to end the inning.
Blue Jays 2, Orioles 4 Mid 7Aug 6 9:57 PM
- Robert Andino reached first on Yunel Escobar's fielding error on a force attempt scored Nolan Reimold. On the play, Blake Davis advances to second. Runners on first and second with one out and Nick Markakis due up.
Blue Jays 2, Orioles 1 Bot 6, 1 OutAug 6 9:48 PM
- Blake Davis singled to right. On the play, Nolan Reimold advances to third. Runners on first and third with one out and Robert Andino due up.
Blue Jays 2, Orioles 0 Bot 6, 1 OutAug 6 9:45 PM
- Nolan Reimold grounded out third to first. None on with one out and Josh Bell due up.
Blue Jays 1, Orioles 0 Bot 3, 1 OutAug 6 8:48 PM
- TORONTO: 0
Top 1, 0 Outs
Aug 6 8:18 PM
- Orioles-Astros Preview May 23
- Blue Jays-Yankees Preview May 23
- Ejections aplenty for Blue Jays lately May 23
- Baseball Capsules May 22
- Perez's 5 RBIs help Weaver and Angels top Orioles 10-2 May 22
- Hughes drops to 1-7 as Twins lose to Blue Jays 3-1 May 22
- Bautista, Donaldson homers propel Blue Jays over Twins 3-1 May 22
- Blue Jays manager Gibbons ejected for 4th time this season May 22
- Shoemaker strikes out 12, Angels lose 3-1 to Orioles May 22
- Wieters homers in ninth to lift Orioles past Angels, 3-1 May 22
- Orioles-Angels Preview May 22
- Baseball Capsules May 22