Early offense, timely defense get A's past O'sAug 18, 2011 - 1:31 AM
David DeJesus entered the game as a defensive replacement in the top of the ninth and threw out the potential tying run at the plate to preserve the win.
Josh Willingham had a two-run double for the A's, who won the last two games of the series after losing four straight.
Brandon McCarthy (6-6) allowed four runs on eight hits over six-plus innings to earn the victory. He walked two and struck out three.
Nick Markakis went 3-for-4 with a home run and two RBI. He singled with two outs in the ninth to score Robert Andino, but pinch runner Blake Davis was cut down at the plate, as Andrew Bailey escaped with his 15th save of the season.
Alfredo Simon (3-6) was touched for six runs -- five earned -- on eight hits in 5 1/3 innings to suffer the loss.
In the top of the first, a J.J. Hardy single and a Markakis double placed runners at second and third. Adam Jones plated Hardy with a sac fly and Markakis scored on Vladimir Guerrero's double.
The A's took advantage of a defensive miscue by the Orioles to get on the board in the home half.
Jemile Weeks and Hideki Matsui sandwiched singles around a Coco Crisp walk to load the bases. Willingham followed with a line drive to left. Nolan Reimold misplayed the screamer, taking a step in as the ball carried over his head for a two-run double. Brandon Allen's subsequent sac fly made it a 3-2 game.
"You want to be perfect," said Reimold. "If you're gonna make mistakes you want them to be aggressive mistakes. That being said, you still don't want to make mistakes."
Suzuki led off the bottom of the second with a homer to left and, in the third, Allen unconventionally made it a 5-2 game. He lifted a 1-1 slider over the head of Jones in center. The ball ricocheted off the base of the wall and bounced towards home. Allen reached third then scored when Jones failed to pick up the ball cleanly.
Markakis turned on a 3-2 fastball, sending it over the right field wall with nobody on in the sixth, but Suzuki's responded with a solo shot a half-inning later to chase Simon.
Mark Reynolds led off the seventh with a double. Reimold walked and Josh Bell singled to score Reynolds and place runners at the corners. Fautino De Los Santos relieved McCarthy and popped out Craig Tatum before putting down Andino and Hardy on strikes.
The Orioles threatened again in the eighth, placing runners on first and second, but Grant Balfour induced Reimold into a fly out to deep center to end the inning.
Bailey began the ninth with consecutive strikeouts, but Andino followed with a double and Hardy singled to place runners on first and third. DeJesus initially bobbled Markakis' base hit, but fired a one-hopper to home and Suzuki adeptly blocked the plate from the head-first-sliding Davis.
"I'm happy to get a save for Bailey," said DeJesus. "I came in for defense and I was able to make the last out. Even though it was crazy I was able to end the game when it was supposed to be ended."
Suzuki hit his 11th and 12th homers of the season...The A's are now 2-4 on their current 10-game home stand against Texas (0-3), Baltimore (2-1) and Toronto (four games)...The Orioles have been outscored 90-42 in the first inning this season.
- BALTIMORE: 5
Aug 17 6:24 PM
- Josh Bell single to right scored Mark Reynolds with none out. On the play, Nolan Reimold advances to second. Runners on first and second and Craig Tatum due up.
Orioles 4, Athletics 6 Top 7, 0 OutsAug 17 5:33 PM
- Kurt Suzuki one-out, solo Home Run 2 (12) to left. Scott Sizemore due up.
Orioles 3, Athletics 6 Bot 6, 1 OutAug 17 5:18 PM
- Nick Markakis one-out, solo Home Run (13) to right. Adam Jones due up.
Orioles 3, Athletics 5 Top 6, 1 OutAug 17 5:11 PM
- Brandon Allen tripled to center. On the play, Brandon Allen scored on Adam Jones's fielding error with one out. None on and Ryan Sweeney due up.
Orioles 2, Athletics 5 Bot 3, 1 OutAug 17 4:32 PM
- Kurt Suzuki lead-off Home Run (11) to center. Scott Sizemore due up.
Orioles 2, Athletics 4 Bot 2, 0 OutsAug 17 4:08 PM
- Brandon Allen sacrifice fly to right scored Hideki Matsui with one out. On the play, Josh Willingham advances to third. Runner on third and Ryan Sweeney due up.
Orioles 2, Athletics 3 Bot 1, 1 OutAug 17 3:57 PM
- Josh Willingham double to left scored Jemile Weeks and Coco Crisp with none out. On the play, Hideki Matsui advances to third. Runners on second and third and Brandon Allen due up.
Orioles 2, Athletics 2 Bot 1, 0 OutsAug 17 3:56 PM
- Vladimir Guerrero double to left scored Nick Markakis with two outs. Runner on second and Mark Reynolds due up.
Orioles 2, Athletics 0 Top 1, 2 OutsAug 17 3:45 PM
- Adam Jones sacrifice fly to center scored J.J. Hardy with two outs. Runner on second and Vladimir Guerrero due up.
Orioles 1, Athletics 0 Top 1, 2 OutsAug 17 3:44 PM
- BALTIMORE: 0
Top 1, 0 Outs
Aug 17 3:44 PM
- Orioles-Astros Preview May 23
- Athletics-Mariners Preview May 23
- LEADING OFF: Kershaw tests streak vs Reds, Colon faces Nats May 23
- Ejections aplenty for Blue Jays lately May 23
- Bad day gets worse for Athletics in 5-4 loss to Yankees May 22
- Pineda ends slump; Yanks top Oakland 5-4 to win 5th straight May 22
- Perez's 5 RBIs help Weaver and Angels top Orioles 10-2 May 22
- Gray put on DL by A's because of strained muscle May 22
- Shoemaker strikes out 12, Angels lose 3-1 to Orioles May 22
- Wieters homers in ninth to lift Orioles past Angels, 3-1 May 22
- Orioles-Angels Preview May 22
- Yankees-Athletics Preview May 21