Halos work a miracle, rally to beat O's in 12Aug 21, 2011 - 5:38 AM Anaheim, CA (Sports Network) - Bobby Abreu capped a three-run 12th inning with a sacrifice fly, as the Angels rallied past the Orioles, 9-8, in the second test of a three-game series.
Baltimore sent Kevin Gregg (0-2) to the mound in the bottom of the 12th after scoring two runs in the top half. Erick Aybar singled and Mike Trout was hit by a pitch. Hank Conger put down a bunt that third baseman Josh Bell picked up but his throw to first was off the mark, which allowed Aybar to score.
Peter Bourjos then hit a sharp grounder to Bell, who made a nice diving stop and threw to first. Bourjos, however, beat the throw to load the bases with no outs. Alberto Callaspo then walked to force in the tying run.
Troy Patton took over on the mound and Abreu greeted him with a deep fly ball to center. Vernon Wells, who came on as a pinch-runner for Conger, crossed the plate for the thrilling victory.
"Aybar got us going in the 12th, then the crowd fired us up," Angels first baseman Mark Trumbo said. "After that, we were able to get a number of timely hits."
The win moved the Angels five games behind the Rangers in the AL West. Texas lost to the White Sox on Saturday.
Abreu went 2-for-5 with three RBI and a run scored for the Angels, who have won three in a row since a five-game skid. Bourjos went 3-for-6 with a solo homer.
LA starter Joel Pineiro gave up four runs on nine hits over six innings. Fernando Rodney (3-5) recorded the final out in the 12th to pick up the win.
Adam Jones went 4-for-6 with a solo homer and two RBI for the Orioles, who have dropped four straight.
Orioles starter Tommy Hunter allowed six runs on 10 hits over 6 1/3 frames.
"I was proud of us for a lot of things but we just couldn't get it done," Orioles manager Buck Showalter said. "It just wasn't there for Kevin (Gregg) tonight. It's a tough loss for us."
The loss means Baltimore has dropped another road series. The Orioles have not won a road series since May 13-15 at Tampa Bay (won series 2-1). The O's have lost 22 of their last 31 road games and are 18-41 on the road this year.
The O's seemed poised to win after scoring twice in the top of the 12th to take an 8-6 lead. Rodney entered the game with men on first and second and two outs. Jones greeted him with an RBI single to right and Torii Hunter's bad throw home allowed another run to score on the play.
After having a runner thrown out at home in the first, the Orioles scored three times in the second. Mark Reynolds, Robert Andino and Nolan Reimold hit three straight singles to push a run across. After Bell struck out looking, J.J. Hardy hit an RBI double to left. Nick Markakis followed with a run- scoring groundout for a 3-0 lead.
The Angels got a run back in the home half. Hunter and Trumbo singled and Howie Kendrick was hit by a pitch to load the bases. A run crossed the plate when Aybar grounded into a double play.
LA put four runs on the board in the third to take the lead. Bourjos reached base on a bunt single and moved to third on Callaspo's single. Abreu brought home both runners with a double to left. After Hunter recorded the second out, Trumbo knocked in Abreu with a bloop double to right. Kendrick's RBI ground- rule double down the left-field line made it a 5-3 game.
Baltimore made it a one-run contest in the fifth. With two outs, Jones hit a ball to deep left-center field. Left fielder Trout almost made a great catch at the wall, but the baseball hit off his glove and went over.
Bourjos' homer to left-center field in the seventh gave the Angels a 6-4 edge.
The Orioles tied the game in the eighth. Bobby Cassevah gave up back-to-back singles to Markakis and Jones to start the frame. Vladimir Guerrero followed with an RBI groundout. Jordan Walden came in from the bullpen and was greeted by Matt Wieters' run-scoring single.
The visitors had a chance to take the lead in the ninth. Andino led off with a walk and stole second. Walden retired the next three batters to keep it a 6-6 game.
The Angels have taken four of five from the O's this season...Hunter extended his hitting streak to 18 games...LA improved to 8-11 in extras this season, while the Orioles fell to 5-7.
- BALTIMORE: 8
LOS ANGELES: 9
Aug 21 12:48 AM
- Bobby Abreu sacrifice fly to center scored Vernon Wells with none out to win the game.
Orioles 8, Angels 9 Bot 12, 1 OutAug 21 12:48 AM
- Alberto Callaspo walk scored Mike Trout. Bases loaded with none out and Bobby Abreu due up.
Orioles 8, Angels 8 Bot 12, 0 OutsAug 21 12:43 AM
- Hank Conger sacrifice bunt to third. On the play, Hank Conger reached first on Josh Bell's throwing error scored Erick Aybar. On the play, Mike Trout advances to third. Runners on first and third with none out and Peter Bourjos due up.
Orioles 8, Angels 7 Bot 12, 0 OutsAug 21 12:40 AM
- Adam Jones singled to right scored Josh Bell. On the play J.J. Hardy scored and Adam Jones advanced to third on Torii Hunter's throwing error. Runner on third with two outs and Vladimir Guerrero due up.
Orioles 8, Angels 6 Top 12, 2 OutsAug 21 12:31 AM
- Matt Wieters single to center scored Adam Jones. On the play, Matt Wieters thrown out at second. None on with two outs and Mark Reynolds due up.
Orioles 6, Angels 6 Top 8, 2 OutsAug 20 11:21 PM
- Vladimir Guerrero ground out short to first scored Nick Markakis. On the play, Adam Jones advances to second. Runner on second with one out and Matt Wieters due up.
Orioles 5, Angels 6 Top 8, 1 OutAug 20 11:16 PM
- Peter Bourjos one-out, solo Home Run (7) to left. Alberto Callaspo due up.
Orioles 4, Angels 6 Bot 7, 1 OutAug 20 11:01 PM
- Adam Jones two-out, solo Home Run (22) to center. Vladimir Guerrero due up.
Orioles 4, Angels 5 Top 5, 2 OutsAug 20 10:28 PM
- Howie Kendrick ground-rule double to left scored Mark Trumbo. Runner on second with two outs and Erick Aybar due up.
Orioles 3, Angels 5 Bot 3, 2 OutsAug 20 10:10 PM
- Mark Trumbo double to right scored Bobby Abreu. Runner on second with two outs and Howie Kendrick due up.
Orioles 3, Angels 4 Bot 3, 2 OutsAug 20 10:09 PM
- Bobby Abreu double to left scored Peter Bourjos and Alberto Callaspo. Runner on second with one out and Torii Hunter due up.
Orioles 3, Angels 3 Bot 3, 1 OutAug 20 10:01 PM
- Erick Aybar grounded into a double play, short to first scored Torii Hunter. Howie Kendrick out at second. Mark Trumbo advances to third. Runner on third with two outs and Mike Trout due up.
Orioles 3, Angels 1 Bot 2, 2 OutsAug 20 9:43 PM
- Nick Markakis ground out second to first scored Nolan Reimold. On the play, J.J. Hardy advances to third. Runner on third with two outs and Adam Jones due up.
Orioles 3, Angels 0 Top 2, 2 OutsAug 20 9:31 PM
- J.J. Hardy double to left scored Robert Andino. On the play, Nolan Reimold advances to third. Runners on second and third with one out and Nick Markakis due up.
Orioles 2, Angels 0 Top 2, 1 OutAug 20 9:30 PM
- Nolan Reimold single to center scored Mark Reynolds. On the play, Robert Andino advances to third. Runners on first and third with none out and Josh Bell due up.
Orioles 1, Angels 0 Top 2, 0 OutsAug 20 9:26 PM
- BALTIMORE: 0
LOS ANGELES: 0
Top 1, 0 Outs
Aug 20 9:07 PM
- Orioles-Astros Preview May 23
- Angels-Rangers Preview May 23
- Ejections aplenty for Blue Jays lately May 23
- Baseball Capsules May 22
- Perez's 5 RBIs help Weaver and Angels top Orioles 10-2 May 22
- Shoemaker strikes out 12, Angels lose 3-1 to Orioles May 22
- Wieters homers in ninth to lift Orioles past Angels, 3-1 May 22
- Orioles-Angels Preview May 22
- Orioles power past Angels 9-4 on 4 homers May 21
- Orioles-Angels Preview May 21
- Angels starter Santiago ejected for gesturing to umpire May 20
- Tim Lincecum signs $2.5 million, 1-year deal with Angels May 20