Blue Jays batter ex-teammate Reyes, rout O'sSep 1, 2011 - 2:08 AM
Toronto banged out 20 hits in support of rookie right-hander Henderson Alvarez, who threw eight shutout innings and earned his first major league win in his fifth start.
"We made a lot of bad pitches. Jo-Jo was pretty flat and didn't have much of an angle going," said Orioles manager Buck Showalter. "But I was impressed with their kid. That goes without saying."
Facing their former teammate for the first time since Baltimore claimed him off waivers on August 2, the Blue Jays chased Reyes from the game after just 2 2/3 innings to rebound from a 10-inning loss in the opener of this three-game series on Tuesday.
Kelly Johnson belted a three-run homer off Reyes in the third inning and Jose Molina hit a solo shot against him two batters later to knock the left-hander out of the game.
Reyes (7-11), perhaps best known for the 28-game winless streak he snapped earlier this season, gave up seven hits and eight runs while walking one and striking out two.
Edwin Encarnacion added a two-run homer and was one of three Blue Jays with four hits. Jose Bautista had a two-run shot for his 39th homer of the season as the Blue Jays won for only the second time in their last seven games.
Alvarez (1-2) was the beneficiary of all that offense -- not that he needed it. The 21-year-old allowed only three hits without a walk and struck out five in a sparkling performance.
Brett Lawrie doubled in a run in the second inning, but the Blue Jays didn't start to run away with it until the third, when the homers by Johnson and Molina capped a six-run rally. Eric Thames had an RBI double and Adam Lind a run-scoring single earlier in the inning.
Brad Bergesen relieved Reyes and wasn't much better, giving up four runs in 2 1/3 innings. Encarnacion homered off him in the fourth, ending a four-run surge that made it 11-0.
Bautista belted his homer off Troy Patton in the sixth inning for Toronto's final two runs.
Thames and Yunel Escobar joined Encarnacion with four hits apiece. The Orioles had just four as a team.
Before the game, Toronto activated right-handed pitcher Carlos Villanueva from the 15-day disabled list and designated left-hander Brian Tallet for assignment...The Orioles are 1-3 since a six-game winning streak...Alvarez was called up from Double-A New Hampshire on August 9.
- TORONTO: 13
Aug 31 9:34 PM
- Jose Bautista none-out, two-run Home Run (39) to left scored Eric Thames. Adam Lind due up.
Blue Jays 13, Orioles 0 Top 6, 0 OutsAug 31 8:33 PM
- Edwin Encarnacion one-out, two-run Home Run (15) to left scored Adam Lind. Kelly Johnson due up.
Blue Jays 11, Orioles 0 Top 4, 1 OutAug 31 8:08 PM
- Adam Lind doubled to center scored Eric Thames. Runner on second with one out and Edwin Encarnacion due up.
Blue Jays 9, Orioles 0 Top 4, 1 OutAug 31 8:06 PM
- Jose Bautista grounded out to first scored Yunel Escobar. On the play, Eric Thames advances to third. Runner on third with one out and Adam Lind due up.
Blue Jays 8, Orioles 0 Top 4, 1 OutAug 31 8:06 PM
- Jose Molina two-out, solo Home Run (3) to left. Mike McCoy due up.
Blue Jays 7, Orioles 0 Top 3, 2 OutsAug 31 7:50 PM
- Kelly Johnson one-out, three-run Home Run (1) to right scored Adam Lind and Edwin Encarnacion. Brett Lawrie due up.
Blue Jays 6, Orioles 0 Top 3, 1 OutAug 31 7:47 PM
- Edwin Encarnacion singled to right. On the play, Adam Lind advances to third. Runners on first and third with one out and Kelly Johnson due up.
Blue Jays 3, Orioles 0 Top 3, 1 OutAug 31 7:45 PM
- Jose Bautista flied out to right. On the play, Eric Thames advances to third. Runner on third with one out and Adam Lind due up.
Blue Jays 2, Orioles 0 Top 3, 1 OutAug 31 7:43 PM
- Brett Lawrie doubled to left center scored Edwin Encarnacion. Runner on second with one out and Jose Molina due up.
Blue Jays 1, Orioles 0 Top 2, 1 OutAug 31 7:24 PM
- TORONTO: 0
Top 1, 0 Outs
Aug 31 7:08 PM
- Orioles-Astros Preview May 23
- Blue Jays-Yankees Preview May 23
- Ejections aplenty for Blue Jays lately May 23
- Baseball Capsules May 22
- Perez's 5 RBIs help Weaver and Angels top Orioles 10-2 May 22
- Hughes drops to 1-7 as Twins lose to Blue Jays 3-1 May 22
- Bautista, Donaldson homers propel Blue Jays over Twins 3-1 May 22
- Blue Jays manager Gibbons ejected for 4th time this season May 22
- Shoemaker strikes out 12, Angels lose 3-1 to Orioles May 22
- Wieters homers in ninth to lift Orioles past Angels, 3-1 May 22
- Orioles-Angels Preview May 22
- Baseball Capsules May 22