Jays take rubber match from O'sSep 12, 2011 - 1:26 AM
David Cooper and Adam Loewen both homered in the seventh off Baltimore starter Tommy Hunter (3-4), with Loewen's solo blast -- the first for the former Orioles hurler -- to straightaway center pulling Toronto even.
Mike McCoy then doubled and Eric Thames singled before Willie Eyre replaced Hunter and surrendered the sac fly to Bautista.
"I just tried to keep it rolling," McCoy said.
Casey Janssen tossed a 1-2-3 eighth for the Blue Jays and Frank Francisco pitched around a two-out walk in the ninth to earn his 14th save of the season.
Making his first start in over three years, Toronto's Dustin McGowan gave up four runs on three hits and five walks in three-plus innings. The 29-year-old right-hander had been sidelined with shoulder and knee problems.
Joel Carreno (1-0) picked up his first win in the majors with a scoreless inning of relief.
Hunter was tagged for six runs -- four earned -- on nine hits in 6 1/3 frames.
"I've got to figure out a way to finish a ballgame," Hunter said. "I've got to be smarter about situations."
McGowan struggled with his command in the first inning, issuing two walks and uncorking a wild pitch. Vladimir Guerrero gave Baltimore an early lead with a sac fly.
The Blue Jays countered with two runs in the bottom of the frame. Thames and Bautista hit consecutive singles to score McCoy, who reached on an error to begin the first. A pair of groundouts by Adam Lind and Brett Lawrie plated Thames.
Baltimore loaded the bases in the second, and Matt Angle tied the game by stroking an RBI single to right field. But Lind put the Blue Jays back on top in the third with a two-out single that scored McCoy.
Nick Markakis, though, put the O's in front, 4-3, with a two-run single off Carlos Villanueva in the fourth. Villanueva had relieved McGowan, who was lifted after walking Chris Davis and Nolan Reimold. Villanueva retired the first two batters he faced before intentionally walking J.J. Hardy to load the bases. Markakis followed with a line drive to right.
Angle scored on a fielder's choice by Matt Wieters in the sixth to make it 5-3.
Toronto won its seventh straight series from the Orioles...Bautista upped his RBI total this year to 98...McGowan went 0-4 with a 2.80 ERA in 12 combined rehab starts between Class A Dunedin and Double-A New Hampshire prior to being activated from the 60-day disabled list last Monday. He last started in the majors on July 8, 2008, taking a no-decision in a 7-6 win over the Orioles...Loewen pitched for Baltimore from 2006-08, going 8-8 with a 5.38 ERA in 35 games (29 starts).
- BALTIMORE: 5
Sep 11 4:11 PM
- Jose Bautista sacrifice fly out to center scored Mike McCoy.. Runner on first with two outs and Adam Lind due up.
Orioles 5, Blue Jays 6 Bot 7, 2 OutsSep 11 3:45 PM
- Adam Loewen one-out, solo Home Run (1) to center. Mike McCoy due up.
Orioles 5, Blue Jays 5 Bot 7, 1 OutSep 11 3:36 PM
- David Cooper lead-off Home Run (2) to right. J.P. Arencibia due up.
Orioles 5, Blue Jays 4 Bot 7, 0 OutsSep 11 3:33 PM
- Matt Wieters grounded into a fielder's choice, first to short scored Matt Angle with two out. Vladimir Guerrero out at second. Nick Markakis advances to third. Runners on first and third and Mark Reynolds due up.
Orioles 5, Blue Jays 3 Top 6, 2 OutsSep 11 3:15 PM
- Nick Markakis single to right scored Chris Davis and Nolan Reimold with two out. On the play, J.J. Hardy advances to third. Runners on first and third and Vladimir Guerrero due up.
Orioles 4, Blue Jays 3 Top 4, 2 OutsSep 11 2:38 PM
- Adam Lind single to center scored Mike McCoy with two out. Runner on first and Brett Lawrie due up.
Orioles 2, Blue Jays 3 Bot 3, 2 OutsSep 11 2:16 PM
- Matt Angle single scored Chris Davis with one out.
Orioles 2, Blue Jays 2 Top 2, 1 OutSep 11 1:49 PM
- Brett Lawrie grounded out scored Eric Thames with two outs.
Orioles 1, Blue Jays 2 Bot 1, 2 OutsSep 11 1:34 PM
- Adam Lind grounded out to first. On the play, Jose Bautista advances to second and Eric Thames advances to third. Runners on second and third and with one out and Brett Lawrie due up.
Orioles 1, Blue Jays 1 Bot 1, 1 OutSep 11 1:31 PM
- Vladimir Guerrero sacrifice fly scored Matt Angle with two outs.
Orioles 1, Blue Jays 0 Top 1, 2 OutsSep 11 1:17 PM
- BALTIMORE: 0
Top 1, 0 Outs
Sep 11 1:10 PM
- Orioles-Astros Preview May 23
- Blue Jays-Yankees Preview May 23
- Ejections aplenty for Blue Jays lately May 23
- Baseball Capsules May 22
- Perez's 5 RBIs help Weaver and Angels top Orioles 10-2 May 22
- Hughes drops to 1-7 as Twins lose to Blue Jays 3-1 May 22
- Bautista, Donaldson homers propel Blue Jays over Twins 3-1 May 22
- Blue Jays manager Gibbons ejected for 4th time this season May 22
- Shoemaker strikes out 12, Angels lose 3-1 to Orioles May 22
- Wieters homers in ninth to lift Orioles past Angels, 3-1 May 22
- Orioles-Angels Preview May 22
- Baseball Capsules May 22