Cardinals pound PiratesJul 24, 2011 - 5:26 AM
Jaime Garcia (10-4) tossed 7 1/3 innings to earn the win, with the lefty giving up only one run on eight hits for St. Louis, which has taken the first two meetings of this three-game series between NL Central contenders.
Correia (11-8) surrendered a season-high seven runs on eight hits in just 4 2/3 innings for the Pirates, losers of three straight after a brief stay in sole possession of first place in the division.
"They're a confident bunch obviously," Correia said of the Cardinals. "It's tough to get through those guys."
Pittsburgh's only run came in the form of Brandon Wood's RBI single in the second inning.
The Cardinals had taken a 2-0 lead in their turn of the second on run-scoring singles from Molina and Daniel Descalso, and extended the margin with a five- run fifth.
Three straight base hits opened the pivotal frame, with Albert Pujols' single scoring Skip Schumaker for a 3-1 cushion. Two batters later, Berkman hit one that landed in the grass cut-out beyond the center-field wall for his team- leading 27th home run.
Molina ended Correia's outing later in the frame with a solo blast off the left-field foul pole.
"We just had a bunch of good at-bats," Cardinals manager Tony La Russa said. "[It's nice] to get a crooked number like that."
Garcia stranded a runner on second in the sixth and induced one of his three double-play balls to end the seventh.
St. Louis went to the bullpen with two on and one out in the eighth, and Jason Motte got out of the inning unscathed. The visitors tacked on two runs off Jose Veras in the ninth on an RBI double by David Freese and pinch-hitter Gerald Laird's run-scoring groundout.
P.J. Walters tossed a 1-2-3 bottom half to seal the win.
Correia, who threw seven scoreless innings in a win at St. Louis on April 6, has a 6.62 earned run average at home this season as opposed to a 2.85 ERA on the road...Each Cardinals starting position player had a least one hit...Molina homered for the second straight game...Both teams wore Negro League jerseys as part of Heritage Weekend in Pittsburgh...The Cardinals go for the series sweep Sunday with Kyle Lohse throwing against Charlie Morton.
- ST. LOUIS: 9
Jul 23 10:01 PM
- Pinch-Hitter Gerald Laird grounded out short to first scored Nick Punto. On the play, David Freese advances to third. Runner on third with two outs and Daniel Descalso due up.
Cardinals 9, Pirates 1 Top 9, 2 OutsJul 23 9:48 PM
- David Freese doubled to right scored Albert Pujols. On the play, Nick Punto advances to third. Runners on second and third with one out and Yadier Molina due up.
Cardinals 8, Pirates 1 Top 9, 1 OutJul 23 9:44 PM
- Daniel McCutchen enters the game for the Pirates with none on and two out, batting 9th.
Cardinals 7, Pirates 1 Top 5, 2 OutsJul 23 8:34 PM
- Lance Berkman one-out, three-run Home Run (27) to center scored Jon Jay and Albert Pujols. David Freese due up.
Cardinals 6, Pirates 1 Top 5, 1 OutJul 23 8:27 PM
- Albert Pujols singled to right scored Skip Schumaker. On the play, Jon Jay advances to third. Runners on first and third with none out and Matt Holliday due up.
Cardinals 3, Pirates 1 Top 5, 0 OutsJul 23 8:20 PM
- Brandon Wood singled to center scored Matt Diaz. Runner on first with one out and Michael McKenry due up.
Cardinals 2, Pirates 1 Bot 2, 1 OutJul 23 7:41 PM
- Daniel Descalso singled to right scored Lance Berkman. On the play, Yadier Molina advances to third. Runners on first and third with one out and Jaime Garcia due up.
Cardinals 2, Pirates 0 Top 2, 1 OutJul 23 7:32 PM
- Yadier Molina singled to center scored Matt Holliday. On the play, Lance Berkman advances to second. Runners on first and second with one out and Daniel Descalso due up.
Cardinals 1, Pirates 0 Top 2, 1 OutJul 23 7:29 PM
- ST. LOUIS: 0
Top 1, 0 Outs
Jul 23 7:06 PM
- Pirates' Vogelsong hit in head by pitch, leaves game May 23
- Cubs-Cardinals Preview May 23
- Baseball Capsules May 22
- Rockies-Pirates postponed after 1 inning; makeup on Monday May 22
- Greinke, Diamondbacks too much for Cardinals, 7-2 May 22
- LEADING OFF: Bradley's 26-game hit streak, Braun recovering May 22
- Closer Melancon takes first loss as Pirates fall to Rockies May 22
- Adames' first homer caps 4-run 9th as Rockies win 4-1 May 22
- Baseball Capsules May 22
- Rockies-Pirates Preview May 21
- Diamondbacks-Cardinals Preview May 21
- Late rally falls short as Diamondbacks fall to Cardinals 6-2 May 21