Cardinals top AstrosJul 27, 2011 - 4:49 AM
Jake Westbrook (9-4) started the second meeting of the four-game set and lasted six frames, allowing one run on seven hits to earn the win.
Jason Motte, Lance Lynn and Fernando Salas each tossed a scoreless inning of relief, with the latter working around a two-out walk in the ninth to post his 19th save of the season.
St. Louis, which has won five of six to stay atop the NL Central, held Houston to a 1-for-11 effort with runners in scoring position.
"We weren't real patient," Astros outfielder Michael Bourn said. "We had a few opportunities to bust it open a little bit, but we couldn't seem to do it."
Brett Myers (3-11) dropped his fifth straight decision despite tossing an eight-inning complete game, as he was charged with three runs on 11 hits.
Jose Altuve ran the Astros out of a run in the first inning when he was caught in a rundown between third and home and was tagged out.
Pujols came up in the bottom half and launched his 23rd home run of the year with Jon Jay on first base. The play was reviewed and upheld after revealing the ball narrowly cleared the center field wall.
Bourn doubled leading off the third and scored Houston's only run on Carlos Lee's two-out single.
While the Astros struggled coming up with a big hit, Freese took Myers the other way for his fifth longball of the season in the sixth inning.
The Cardinals' bullpen allowed one hit and one walk over the final three frames to send Houston to its fifth straight loss.
"It's going to be a race all the way until the end. There are four teams that really, really want this," Freese said of the tight division standings.
Myers has two complete games this year and 12 for his career...St. Louis' two home runs and Bourn's double were the only extra-base hits the entire game.
- HOUSTON: 1
ST. LOUIS: 3
Jul 26 10:50 PM
- David Freese two-out, solo Home Run (5) to right. Colby Rasmus due up.
Astros 1, Cardinals 3 Bot 6, 2 OutsJul 26 9:57 PM
- Brett Wallace was hit-by-pitch. Runners on first and second with two outs and Chris Johnson due up.
Astros 1, Cardinals 2 Top 3, 2 OutsJul 26 8:59 PM
- David Freese lined out to right to end the inning.
Astros 0, Cardinals 2 End 1Jul 26 8:34 PM
- HOUSTON: 0
ST. LOUIS: 0
Top 1, 0 Outs
Jul 26 8:16 PM
- Orioles-Astros Preview May 23
- Cubs-Cardinals Preview May 23
- Baseball Capsules May 22
- Hamels fans 11, Rangers down Keuchel, Astros 9-2 for sweep May 22
- Greinke, Diamondbacks too much for Cardinals, 7-2 May 22
- LEADING OFF: Bradley's 26-game hit streak, Braun recovering May 22
- Baseball Capsules May 22
- Rangers-Astros Preview May 21
- Andrus, Ramos lead Rangers over Astros 2-1 May 21
- Diamondbacks-Cardinals Preview May 21
- Late rally falls short as Diamondbacks fall to Cardinals 6-2 May 21
- Cardinals blast 3 homers, Leake shuts down Diamondbacks 6-2 May 21