Pujols homers as Cardinals sweep MarlinsAug 8, 2011 - 12:17 AM
Playing most of the game in the rain, the Cardinals completed their first ever four-game sweep of the Marlins in Florida and their first four-game sweep on the road since 2004 at Pittsburgh.
Bryan Petersen hit a pinch-hit two-run homer for the blunder-prone Marlins, who began their 10-game homestand 0-4.
The start of the game was delayed 82 minutes because of rain.
Mitchell Boggs (2-3) earned the win in relief of Cardinals starter Jaime Garcia, who gave up two runs and six hits in five innings.
Boggs gave up Petersen's homer in the sixth, which tied the game at 4-4, but was the benefactor of a three-run Cardinals rally in the seventh.
Michael Dunn (5-6) took the loss after relieving starter Javier Vazquez in the seventh and getting only one out. He was charged with two unearned runs.
Vazquez gave up four runs in six innings while adding two hits on offense, including a double and a run scored. He didn't allow a hit until Pujols' homer in the fourth inning.
St. Louis scored three runs in the seventh for a 7-4 lead. The Marlins nearly had two quick outs to start the inning, but Corey Patterson reached on Emilio Bonifacio's throwing error from short. Later, Ryan Theriot hit an RBI single and Holliday delivered a two-run base hit. The Cardinals loaded the bases on two walks but couldn't score again.
They tacked on a run in the ninth when Lance Berkman hit an RBI single.
"We got some breaks," said Holliday. "But we've had some days where we haven't got them. So to sweep a team like that was good fur us."
Earlier, Vazquez doubled to lead off the third, moved to third on Bonifacio's sacrifice bunt and scored on Alfredo Amezaga's single through the left side to make it 1-0 Florida.
Pujols stroked a slider over the wall in right field for an opposite-field blast in the fourth inning, his 27th home run of the season and second in as many games. He hit a two-run homer on Saturday in St. Louis' 2-1 win.
The Marlins restored their one-run lead in the fifth. Vazquez singled to lead off the inning, but was later thrown out at home trying to score on Amezaga's grounder to short. Florida loaded the bases on a walk to Mike Stanton and Bonifacio scored on Gaby Sanchez's ground out to make it 2-1.
Patterson pinch hit for Garcia leading off the sixth and hit a pop-up that turned into a double when Bonifacio and left fielder Logan Morrison collided and let the ball drop.
"There is no reason we should have lost that game today except that we didn't play defense. If we want to be a team that's going to contend, you definitely have to play defense," Morrison said.
The Cardinals then rallied for a 4-2 lead after Vazquez got two outs and walked Pujols intentionally. Holliday hit an RBI single that Stanton let go under his glove, allowing runners to move up to second and third. Jon Jay delivered a two-run base hit after Vazquez intentionally walked Berkman to load the bases.
Petersen pinch hit for Vazquez with two outs in the bottom of the sixth and homered to score Brett Hayes and make it 4-4.
"Today's loss isn't because we didn't hit," Morrison said. "It isn't because we didn't pitch. It's because we didn't play defense."
This series started a 10-game homestand for the Marlins that continues Monday with the opener of a three-game series with the Atlanta Braves...The Cardinals are headed home for six games against Milwaukee and Colorado starting Tuesday.
- ST. LOUIS: 8
Aug 7 5:55 PM
- Lance Berkman singled to left scored Albert Pujols. On the play, Matt Holliday advances to third. Runners on first and third with one out and Kyle McClellan due up.
Cardinals 8, Marlins 4 Top 9, 1 OutAug 7 5:45 PM
- Mike Stanton walked. Runner on first with one out and Gaby Sanchez due up.
Cardinals 7, Marlins 4 Bot 7, 1 OutAug 7 5:14 PM
- Michael Dunn starts the inning for the Marlins, batting 9th.
Cardinals 4, Marlins 4 Top 7, 0 OutsAug 7 4:44 PM
- Corey Patterson remains in the game playing center field, batting 9th.
Cardinals 4, Marlins 2 Bot 6, 0 OutsAug 7 4:22 PM
- Logan Morrison struck out swinging to end the inning.
Cardinals 1, Marlins 2 End 5Aug 7 4:03 PM
- Albert Pujols one-out, solo Home Run (27) to right. Matt Holliday due up.
Cardinals 1, Marlins 1 Top 4, 1 OutAug 7 3:23 PM
- Gaby Sanchez grounded into a double play, third to second to first to end the inning.
Cardinals 0, Marlins 1 End 3Aug 7 3:18 PM
- ST. LOUIS: 0
Top 1, 0 Outs
Aug 7 2:33 PM
- Rays-Marlins Preview May 23
- Cubs-Cardinals Preview May 23
- Baseball Capsules May 22
- Archer hit hard as Rays fall 9-4 to Tigers May 22
- Greinke, Diamondbacks too much for Cardinals, 7-2 May 22
- Signs of progress for Stanton in Marlins' 8-2 loss to Nats May 22
- Scherzer pitches 8 innings to help Nats beat Marlins 8-2 May 22
- Nationals-Marlins Preview May 22
- Nats' 9th-inning rally comes up short in 3-2 loss at Miami May 21
- Jose Fernandez pitches Marlins past Nationals 3-2 May 21
- Diamondbacks-Cardinals Preview May 21
- Late rally falls short as Diamondbacks fall to Cardinals 6-2 May 21