Holliday's HR provides insurance for Cardinals victoryAug 26, 2011 - 5:35 AM
Allen Craig added two hits and scored twice as St. Louis snapped a three-game losing streak.
Edwin Jackson (3-2) went six innings, allowing four runs -- one earned -- on six hits and three walks for the win.
"He did a good job of recognizing what wasn't right and making the adjustment a couple of times," Cardinals manager Tony La Russa said. "That's encouraging."
Charlie Morton (9-7) allowed five runs on nine hits and two walks through 4 1/3 innings in Pittsburgh's sixth defeat in nine games.
"I felt really good in the bullpen. I don't know if that was incorrect feedback I was getting from myself," Morton said. "It didn't translate into stuff or a good outing."
After Craig's one-out, ground-rule double to right field in the first, Albert Pujols pulled an RBI double into the left-field corner. Two batters later, Lance Berkman's base hit to right brought home Pujols and gave the Cardinals a 2-0 lead.
Rafael Furcal singled in the second, advanced to second on Jackson's sacrifice bunt and crossed the plate on Skip Schumaker's bloop single into shallow center field.
Michael McKenry reached first on David Freese's fielding error to lead off the third, moved to second on a Morton sacrifice bunt and came home on an Alex Presley single. Back-to-back walks by Andrew McCutchen and Neil Walker then loaded the bases for Garrett Jones, who lined a 3-2 pitch into center field to score Presley and McCutchen, tying the game at three.
The Pirates then took a 4-3 lead in the fourth when Ronny Cedeno and McKenry led off the frame with consecutive doubles off the wall in left field. After McKenry advanced to third on a Morton bunt, he was tagged out in a run-down between third and home when Jackson snagged a Jose Tabata come-backer, keeping it a one-run game.
The Cardinals loaded the bases with one out in the fifth on a Craig single and walks by Pujols and Berkman. Freese followed with a two-run base hit to right, putting St. Louis back on top and knocking Morton out of the game.
Chris Leroux came on next and induced a fly out by Yadier Molina and a ground out by Furcal to keep it a 5-4 game.
Pittsburgh stranded the game-tying run in scoring position in the sixth and eighth innings, and the Cardinals made the Pirates pay in the bottom half of the eighth, when Holliday blasted a three-run homer into the left-field bleachers. Pujols was intentionally walked with two outs and a runner on third prior to Holliday's homer.
Pittsburgh optioned infielder Pedro Ciriaco and pitcher Aaron Thompson to Triple-A Indianapolis, and recalled outfielder Alex Presley and infielder Chase d'Arnaud from Indianapolis...Jackson is now 3-0 in four career starts against Pittsburgh and the victory gave him 10 wins for his fourth straight season. He was 7-7 with the Chicago White Sox before being acquired by the Cardinals...St. Louis improved to 1-3 on a seven-game homestand...Tabata went 0-for-4 to end a 10-game hitting streak.
- PITTSBURGH: 4
ST. LOUIS: 8
Aug 25 11:30 PM
- Matt Holliday two-out, three-run Home Run (19) to left scored Jon Jay and Albert Pujols. Lance Berkman due up.
Pirates 4, Cardinals 8 Bot 8, 2 OutsAug 25 11:17 PM
- David Freese single to right scored Allen Craig and Albert Pujols with one out. On the play, Lance Berkman advances to second. Runners on first and second and Yadier Molina due up.
Pirates 4, Cardinals 5 Bot 5, 1 OutAug 25 10:04 PM
- Michael McKenry double to left scored Ronny Cedeno with none out. Runner on second and Charlie Morton due up.
Pirates 4, Cardinals 3 Top 4, 0 OutsAug 25 9:30 PM
- Garrett Jones single to center scored Alex Presley and Andrew McCutchen with two outs. On the play, Neil Walker advances to third. Runners on first and third and Josh Harrison due up.
Pirates 3, Cardinals 3 Top 3, 2 OutsAug 25 9:15 PM
- Alex Presley single to left center scored Michael McKenry with two outs. Runner on first and Andrew McCutchen due up.
Pirates 1, Cardinals 3 Top 3, 2 OutsAug 25 9:06 PM
- Skip Schumaker single to center scored Rafael Furcal with two outs. Runner on first and Allen Craig due up.
Pirates 0, Cardinals 3 Bot 2, 2 OutsAug 25 8:56 PM
- Lance Berkman single to right scored Albert Pujols with two outs. Lance Berkman advances to second on the throw. Runner on second with two outs and David Freese due up.
Pirates 0, Cardinals 2 Bot 1, 2 OutsAug 25 8:35 PM
- Albert Pujols double to left scored Allen Craig with one out. Runner on second and Matt Holliday due up.
Pirates 0, Cardinals 1 Bot 1, 1 OutAug 25 8:30 PM
- PITTSBURGH: 0
ST. LOUIS: 0
Top 1, 0 Outs
Aug 25 8:17 PM
- Pirates' Vogelsong hit in head by pitch, leaves game May 23
- Cubs-Cardinals Preview May 23
- Baseball Capsules May 22
- Rockies-Pirates postponed after 1 inning; makeup on Monday May 22
- Greinke, Diamondbacks too much for Cardinals, 7-2 May 22
- LEADING OFF: Bradley's 26-game hit streak, Braun recovering May 22
- Closer Melancon takes first loss as Pirates fall to Rockies May 22
- Adames' first homer caps 4-run 9th as Rockies win 4-1 May 22
- Baseball Capsules May 22
- Rockies-Pirates Preview May 21
- Diamondbacks-Cardinals Preview May 21
- Late rally falls short as Diamondbacks fall to Cardinals 6-2 May 21