Cardinals take series from PiratesAug 28, 2011 - 11:30 PM
Allen Craig's sacrifice fly in the fourth plated the go-ahead run, while Kyle Lohse (12-8) allowed four runs -- two earned -- in five innings to pick up his 100th major league victory.
The Cardinals won three of the four games in the series, and rebounded from Saturday's 7-0 loss.
"This is one of our more clutch wins," said Cardinals manager Tony La Russa. "We had a chance to win the series and we didn't have any carry over. Guys came out today, had a tough start, hung in there and got a big win."
Pirates starter Jeff Karstens (9-8) gave up five runs in 3 2/3 innings to take the loss, Pittsburgh's sixth in its last nine games.
"My body isn't telling me [fatigue] is a problem. It's just one of those things if you're going through it, you have to grind through it and see what happens," Karstens said.
The teams traded the lead several times. After Andrew McCutchen singled in a run in the first, the Cardinals plated three runs in the bottom half.
A Craig single, Matt Holliday double and an intentional walk to Lance Berkman loaded the bases with one away for David Freese, who grounded the ball back to the mound. Karstens took the out at first as Craig scored.
Schumaker followed with a grounder toward the hole on the left side of the infield, and while shortstop Ronny Cedeno dove to stop the ball, he didn't have a play and Holliday scored.
Theriot then sent a ground ball through the same hole to plate Berkman for a 3-1 edge.
The Pirates got all of the runs back in the next inning, when Josh Harrison led off with a double and scored on Cedeno's base hit. After Michael McKenry doubled, Cedeno scored on an error and Jose Tabata drove in a run with a groundout.
But Pittsburgh didn't put together a rally for the rest of the game, allowing St. Louis to come back and take the lead for good.
Theriot's two-out single in the third tied the game, and Craig hit a go-ahead sacrifice fly in the fourth. It plated Lohse, who hit an infield single and advanced to third on a Jon Jay double.
A one-out Holliday double sparked the Cardinals' rally in the seventh. After Berkman was again intentionally walked, Freese singled in a run and Schumaker hit an RBI groundout.
Jason Motte threw a scoreless ninth for his first save of the season.
Motte, who has spent his entire four-year career with St. Louis, has four career saves. He has also not allowed a run in 17 consecutive appearances...Cardinals first baseman Albert Pujols was given the day off...The Cardinals begin a three-game series in Milwaukee on Tuesday...Pittsburgh starts a three-game set in Houston on Monday.
- PITTSBURGH: 4
ST. LOUIS: 7
Aug 28 5:14 PM
- Skip Schumaker grounded out second to first scoring Lance Berkman with two out. On the play, David Freese advances to second. Runner on second and Ryan Theriot due up.
Pirates 4, Cardinals 7 Bot 7, 2 OutsAug 28 4:46 PM
- David Freese single to center scored Matt Holliday with one out. On the play, Lance Berkman advances to third. Runners on first and third and Skip Schumaker due up.
Pirates 4, Cardinals 6 Bot 7, 1 OutAug 28 4:41 PM
- Allen Craig sacrifice fly to center scored Kyle Lohse with two out. On the play, Jon Jay advances to third. Runner on third and Matt Holliday due up.
Pirates 4, Cardinals 5 Bot 4, 2 OutsAug 28 3:37 PM
- Ryan Theriot single to left scored Lance Berkman with two out. On the play, Skip Schumaker out at third, left to third to short to end the inning.
Pirates 4, Cardinals 4 End 3Aug 28 3:24 PM
- Jose Tabata grounded out second to first scoring Michael McKenry with two out. None on and Alex Presley due up.
Pirates 4, Cardinals 3 Top 2, 2 OutsAug 28 2:54 PM
- Jeff Karstens grounded out second to first. On the play, Ronny Cedeno scored on Ryan Theriot's throwing error with none out. Michael McKenry advances to third. Runner on third with one out and Jose Tabata due up.
Pirates 3, Cardinals 3 Top 2, 1 OutAug 28 2:52 PM
- Ronny Cedeno single to center scored Josh Harrison with none out. Runner on first and Michael McKenry due up.
Pirates 2, Cardinals 3 Top 2, 0 OutsAug 28 2:46 PM
- Ryan Theriot single to left scored Lance Berkman with two out. On the play, Skip Schumaker advances to second. Runners on first and second and Gerald Laird due up.
Pirates 1, Cardinals 3 Bot 1, 2 OutsAug 28 2:38 PM
- Skip Schumaker infield single to short scored Matt Holliday with two out. On the play, Lance Berkman advances to third. Runners on first and third and Ryan Theriot due up.
Pirates 1, Cardinals 2 Bot 1, 2 OutsAug 28 2:37 PM
- David Freese grounded out pitcher to first scoring Allen Craig with two out. On the play, Lance Berkman advances to second and Matt Holliday advances to third. Runners on second and third and Skip Schumaker due up.
Pirates 1, Cardinals 1 Bot 1, 2 OutsAug 28 2:35 PM
- Andrew McCutchen single to center scored Jose Tabata with none out. On the play, Alex Presley advances to third. Runners on first and third and Neil Walker due up.
Pirates 1, Cardinals 0 Top 1, 0 OutsAug 28 2:21 PM
- PITTSBURGH: 0
ST. LOUIS: 0
Top 1, 0 Outs
Aug 28 2:17 PM
- Pirates' Vogelsong hit in head by pitch, leaves game May 23
- Cubs-Cardinals Preview May 23
- Baseball Capsules May 22
- Rockies-Pirates postponed after 1 inning; makeup on Monday May 22
- Greinke, Diamondbacks too much for Cardinals, 7-2 May 22
- LEADING OFF: Bradley's 26-game hit streak, Braun recovering May 22
- Closer Melancon takes first loss as Pirates fall to Rockies May 22
- Adames' first homer caps 4-run 9th as Rockies win 4-1 May 22
- Baseball Capsules May 22
- Rockies-Pirates Preview May 21
- Diamondbacks-Cardinals Preview May 21
- Late rally falls short as Diamondbacks fall to Cardinals 6-2 May 21