Doumit's grand slam helps Pirates beat PadresMay 5, 2011 - 4:33 AM
Kevin Correia (5-2) earned the win in his first start against his former team when he went six-plus innings allowing two runs on five hits and two walks while fanning three.
Neil Walker added two RBI for Pittsburgh, which has won three of its last four.
Clayton Richard (1-3) was beat up for seven runs -- one earned -- on four hits and three walks in five innings while striking out four to give the Padres their second loss in three games.
"[I was] missing the total other side of the plate and usually when you're doing that it's not a good thing," said Richard.
Walker led off the second with a walk, advanced to second on a walk by Doumit, and stole third before being knocked in by a Brandon Wood groundout to give the Pirates a 1-0 lead.
The Pirates piled it on in the third when they loaded the bases with one out after Andrew McCutchen singled, and Xavier Paul and Matt Diaz both reached on fielding errors. Walker followed with a single that brought home McCutchen and Paul.
Steve Pearce worked a walk to load the bases for a second time, and then Doumit hit a line-drive, grand slam over the left field fence to make the score 7-0 Pittsburgh.
"It was a fastball down, 3-2 pitch, you know. I was just looking for something to get elevated and get a run in. The last thing I want to do right there was ground into a double play, so I was looking a pitch up that I could hit a fly ball," said Doumit.
Will Venable tripled to lead off the fourth for the Padres and scored on Ryan Ludwick's grounder to put San Diego on the board.
San Diego added another run in the seventh on an RBI double by Brad Hawpe that chased Correia from the game.
Jose Veras started the ninth for the Pirates and allowed a lead off homer to Hawpe and a solo shot by Eric Patterson two batters later to make up the final score.
The Padres placed second baseman Orlando Hudson on the 15-day disabled list with a strained right hamstring on Wednesday...Pittsburgh is 5-1 against left- handed starters this year...Doumit's grand slam was the third of his career.
- PITTSBURGH: 7
SAN DIEGO: 4
May 4 9:39 PM
- Eric Patterson one-out, solo Home Run (2) to right. Rob Johnson due up.
Pirates 7, Padres 4 Bot 9, 1 OutMay 4 9:29 PM
- Brad Hawpe lead-off Home Run (1) to center. Chad Qualls due up.
Pirates 7, Padres 3 Bot 9, 0 OutsMay 4 9:26 PM
- Chris Resop enters the game for the Pirates with a runner on second and none out.
Pirates 7, Padres 2 Bot 7, 0 OutsMay 4 8:40 PM
- Ryan Ludwick grounded out third to first that scored Will Venable. None on with one out and Chase Headley due up.
Pirates 7, Padres 1 Bot 4, 1 OutMay 4 7:46 PM
- Ryan Doumit one-out, Grand Slam (2) to left scored Matt Diaz, Neil Walker and Steve Pearce. Brandon Wood due up.
Pirates 7, Padres 0 Top 3, 1 OutMay 4 7:28 PM
- Neil Walker single to center scored Andrew McCutchen and Xavier Paul. On the play, Matt Diaz advances to second. Runners on first and second with one out and Steve Pearce due up.
Pirates 3, Padres 0 Top 3, 1 OutMay 4 7:22 PM
- Brandon Wood's fielder's choice, pitcher to short scored Neil Walker. Ryan Doumit out at second. Runner on first with two outs and Ronny Cedeno due up.
Pirates 1, Padres 0 Top 2, 2 OutsMay 4 7:02 PM
- PITTSBURGH: 0
SAN DIEGO: 0
Top 1, 0 Outs
May 4 6:36 PM
- Pirates' Vogelsong hit in head by pitch, leaves game May 23
- Padres-Giants Preview May 23
- Rookie Perdomo tough-luck loser in 9-5 defeat to Dodgers May 22
- Puig's 2-run single in 17th leads Dodgers over Padres, 9-5 May 22
- Padres under fire for mishandling gay chorus' anthem May 22
- Rockies-Pirates postponed after 1 inning; makeup on Monday May 22
- Plate umpire Rackley leaves after getting hit by foul bunt May 22
- Solarte draws bases-loaded BB in 11th, Padres walk off again May 22
- Dodgers lose 3-2 in 11th after Tsao issues walk-off walk May 22
- Closer Melancon takes first loss as Pirates fall to Rockies May 22
- Dodgers-Padres Preview May 22
- Rockies-Pirates Preview May 21